U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 9,512,414 times
Reputation: 1717

Advertisements

I didn't realize that there were so many!!! No wonder it was impossible to keep them all...

I wonder if the Christians who say they keep all the commandments keep all 613 or just the ten mosaic ones?

Here's the list:
Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Oxford, OH
1,461 posts, read 3,450,250 times
Reputation: 832
Thank God we live under Grace. There really are a lot of commandments but God know we had that old nature still with us. We strive to do what God wants but there is non righteous, not one. In the OT part of the purpose of the laws was to show men that they could not keep them. To learn about Grace from there must have been amazing. Grace is certainly not a "get out of jail card free" but it humbles us to see how weak we really are and how we need God's grace and guidance every moment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: New England
34,779 posts, read 24,095,731 times
Reputation: 2574
The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 13 verse 9 and 10
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
 
9,007 posts, read 8,405,599 times
Reputation: 1668
In the Book of Galatians 9:2-6 Apostle Paul said ``That if be circumcised Christ has no profit you nothing.........every man that is circumcised, that is a debtor to do the whole law......Christ has no effect in you. whosoever of you are justified by the law you have fallen from grace....... for we through the Spirit wait for the hope of rightousness by faith```... Apostle Paul said that if we are bound by the Law of Moses than we missed the new covenant throught the Spirit of Christ........alot of Jews that converted to Christ had this a hard time changing ideas for a New covenant....... There seems to be a lot of laws in the church today that have nothing to do with Jesus Christ way in the prudence of the spirit. for prudence in the Law has ended at pentecost in the upperroom in the Books of Acts of the Holy Spirit....... Alot of these laws in the church today just end up binding up the Christians that Jesus had unbound and give rise to controling spirits of the world.........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
 
7,380 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Reputation: 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 13 verse 9 and 10
YES!

LOVE is the FULFILLMENT of the LAW.

hmmm. I wonder if someone will come on here and bypass/bash this by labeling this "hippie love" again...

Love is the most powerful thing in this universe.

God is love.

LOVE is the fulfillment of the law.

Thank you for posting that pcamps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Arkansas
75 posts, read 93,048 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I wonder if the Christians who say they keep all the commandments keep all 613 or just the ten mosaic ones?
It's the nature of man to 'ADD' to the word of God...started with Eve, in the garden when she said 'neither shall ye touch it'. God did not say 'don't touch the fruit', He said 'don't eat'. We've been 'adding' our own version of what we think His words mean since that time... We don't keep the original 10 Cs let alone all the 'additions'!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
8,377 posts, read 1,687,612 times
Reputation: 805
kat

You may be interested in reading this site -- It is about contradictions in the bible related to the laws and sacrifice - as well as other things.

Was the Torah from the time of Moses? Who wrote the Bible and when? The late date of the Torah.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 AM
 
10 posts, read 14,133 times
Reputation: 12
"Love is the most powerful thing in this universe."
This is very true. There is nothing more powerful.

I hope all who read the scripture below discover God's presence.

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end... And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love. (NRSV, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 13)

New Commandment- The night before Jesus knew He was going to be crucified, He said to His disciples.

34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 AM
 
Location: New Zealand
8,377 posts, read 1,687,612 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1865 View Post
"Love is the most powerful thing in this universe."
This is very true. There is nothing more powerful.

I hope all who read the scripture below discover God's presence.

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end... And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love. (NRSV, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 13)

New Commandment- The night before Jesus knew He was going to be crucified, He said to His disciples.

34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35
Amen to that!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 AM
 
7,380 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Reputation: 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Amen to that!!!

Amen x 2!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top