Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times

Advertisements

I'm interested to hear what obstacles - of any kind, whether it be personal, emotional, theological, moral - that have threatened your faith, maybe even taken away the faith for awhile, that you've overcome, and how you overcame them.

One example I'll give was my inability to accept a truly young Earth, because of scientific evidence. Now I really did find it difficult to believe a young Earth; read a lot about it, a lot of Creationist books as well, but in the end I reconciled by taking a non-literalist stance. Honestly, I really can't believe in what some of the Creationists say, so it was either that or not being able to believe at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,161,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm interested to hear what obstacles - of any kind, whether it be personal, emotional, theological, moral - that have threatened your faith, maybe even taken away the faith for awhile, that you've overcome, and how you overcame them.

One example I'll give was my inability to accept a truly young Earth, because of scientific evidence. Now I really did find it difficult to believe a young Earth; read a lot about it, a lot of Creationist books as well, but in the end I reconciled by taking a non-literalist stance. Honestly, I really can't believe in what some of the Creationists say, so it was either that or not being able to believe at all.
I once too had a problem with YEC. But the more I got into the Word, the more the Spirit led me to understand Genesis more fully.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,950,659 times
I was following one of the two great commands...
Love your neighbor as yourself. which brought me to my knees.
Loving my enemies. Loving people I didn't like and (used to) didn't WANT to like. (much less LOVE!!)
Having the darkness in my heart slowly start to be overcome with the love that He was planting in my heart. It was a painful process. And the rest of the story is for another day.

However, the command to love God with all of my heart, mind and soul.. I found I couldn't do it. I couldn't love Him with that kind of love. It wasn't until HE took my hand and slowly, patiently brought me to the glorious truth of His plan for ALL that I was finally able to start to love God with ALL of my Heart, ALL of my Soul and ALL of my Mind. Because of HIS LOVE for ALL.

And it was then in that great revelation did I understand one of the main beautiful reasons to the two commands. They lead to TRUTH.

peace.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
For me it was not having my prayers answered in the way I wanted them to be. I knew I wasn't asking for anything selfish, and I thought I had faith, so it really was kind of hard on me. It's taken me quite awhile to realize that having faith doesn't mean believing that if you trust God enough, He'll give you what you want. It means realizing that He'll always give you what it's in your best interest to have and leaving that in His hands.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,950,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
For me it was not having my prayers answered in the way I wanted them to be. I knew I wasn't asking for anything selfish, and I thought I had faith, so it really was kind of hard on me. It's taken me quite awhile to realize that having faith doesn't mean believing that if you trust God enough, He'll give you what you want. It means realizing that He'll always give you what it's in your best interest to have and leaving that in His hands.
Beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.
He sees what we cannot yet see.
Peace.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,543,185 times
I allowed man/men to come between me and God..For years I almost believed that I really was second best..in the home, the marriage and in the building where they met..

That wall was torn down several years ago and now I have a wonderful one on one relationship with Him..

I am also very protective of my faith, and my relationship with God in the rw, so I pretty much stay out of the discussions which always lead to arguements over interpretation and context anyway..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,102 times
My son was born with a lung disease, and he passed away when he was 15. My trust, faith, and reliance on God grew immensely as the disease progressed. The Lord walked with us and carried us the whole way and helped us to be strong and not live in fear.

After he lost the battle against the disease, the way I describe my relationship with God is that I wasn't angry at Him, but I felt He "hurt my feelings." I was very disappointed because I knew that God was able to make things turn out very differently. I still loved God and was thankful he had my sweet boy with Him, but I had the attitude that God would do whatever He wants anyway, so what's the use in asking. Not having specific prayer requests made me talk to Him less, praise Him less, etc., so my prayer life suffered. I never felt He was far away, though. My praises became easier as I pictured praising him through the eyes of my son who could now see Him face to face.

I wouldn't call it an obstacle so much as a challenge to my faith. Overall, I did very well considering all we went through. God gave me peace and strength to face each day and I've always been so thankful for that. Just like Katzpur, I learned that faith is not believing for the outcome of your own choosing, but believing that God knows best. Since then, God has shown me wonderful, marvelous things about his true character and I love God more than ever now.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM

352 posts, read 553,763 times
My biggest obstacle? I would say it would have to be being able to trust God with every aspect of my life. My whole life I have been kicked down and mistreated, and a part of me wants to blame God for these events. However, as Scripture says, God works for the good of those who love Him; I try to surrender every part of my life still to Him, but sometimes the good things get ruined by the bad and I feel betrayed. Sometimes, I want to walk away. However, I understand that God is the best route, so I continue to try and surrender it all to Him in the hopes of seeing the grand work being brought to fruition one day.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 PM

823 posts, read 1,406,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
My son was born with a lung disease, and he passed away when he was 15. My trust, faith, and reliance on God grew immensely as the disease progressed. The Lord walked with us and carried us the whole way and helped us to be strong and not live in fear.

After he lost the battle against the disease, the way I describe my relationship with God is that I wasn't angry at Him, but I felt He "hurt my feelings." I was very disappointed because I knew that God was able to make things turn out very differently. I still loved God and was thankful he had my sweet boy with Him, but I had the attitude that God would do whatever He wants anyway, so what's the use in asking. Not having specific prayer requests made me talk to Him less, praise Him less, etc., so my prayer life suffered. I never felt He was far away, though. My praises became easier as I pictured praising him through the eyes of my son who could now see Him face to face.

I wouldn't call it an obstacle so much as a challenge to my faith. Overall, I did very well considering all we went through. God gave me peace and strength to face each day and I've always been so thankful for that. Just like Katzpur, I learned that faith is not believing for the outcome of your own choosing, but believing that God knows best. Since then, God has shown me wonderful, marvelous things about his true character and I love God more than ever now.
Bless your sweet son. This posting made my eyes water as I cannot imagine going through what you have as I have four boys of my own. Thank God for your faith and knowing that your Son is with our Father. Bless you in your continued faith and the bright hope for tomorrow

Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Bless your sweet son. This posting made my eyes water as I cannot imagine going through what you have as I have four boys of my own. Thank God for your faith and knowing that your Son is with our Father. Bless you in your continued faith and the bright hope for tomorrow
Thank you, Sister!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity