Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 01:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

SAN DIEGO, Dec. 26 (UPI) -- A former Ku Klux Klan imperial wizard says he was ordained in San Diego so he could serve the nation's largest black denomination.

Former Klan member Johnny Lee Clary said he was authorized by the Church of God in Christ to take part in the ministry of racial reconciliation and conduct evangelism campaigns, the Tulsa (Okla.) World reported Saturday.

Former Klan member is ordained minister - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM

981 posts, read 805,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN DIEGO, Dec. 26 (UPI) -- A former Ku Klux Klan imperial wizard says he was ordained in San Diego so he could serve the nation's largest black denomination.

Former Klan member Johnny Lee Clary said he was authorized by the Church of God in Christ to take part in the ministry of racial reconciliation and conduct evangelism campaigns, the Tulsa (Okla.) World reported Saturday.

Former Klan member is ordained minister - UPI.com
Absurd. Hopefully, he gets run out of town with torches and pitchforks.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Where has the concern of the UPI reporter been every time the former Ku Klux Klan member gets re-elected as a U.S. senator [democrat] of West Virginia.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 PM

78 posts, read 107,377 times
Some people can get by with being a bigot if they have the correct party affiliation.

This ex-Klansman wasn't just a passive member of the nation's most notorious hate group.
According to news accounts and biographical information, Sen. Byrd was a "Kleagle" -- an official recruiter who signed up members for $10 a head. He said he joined because it "offered excitement" and because the Klan was an "effective force" in "promoting traditional American values." Nothing like the thrill of gathering 'round a midnight bonfire, roasting s'mores, tying nooses, and promoting white supremacy with a bunch of your hooded friends.
The ex-Klansman allegedly ended his ties with the group in 1943. He may have stopped paying dues, but he continued to pay homage to the KKK. Republicans in West Virginia discovered a letter Sen. Byrd had written to the Imperial Wizard of the KKK three years after he says he abandoned the group. He wrote: "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia" and "in every state in the Union."
The entire article can be found here:
Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd, Ex-Klansman by Michelle Malkin -- Capitalism Magazine

Old 12-26-2009, 06:55 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times
I say, praise God! that he is not a racist anymore but the article is just has a horrendous understanding of a person being saved furthermore "racial reconciliation"? The gospel, the power of God's word changes people not other people.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Chalk it up to GOD doing what man can not do.................

Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 AM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Well, I don't know much about the man or what He preaches... but the following quote is great, esp. coming from a former kkk member:

"I've learned that good friends come in all colors. I believe I have something to contribute in the area of racial reconciliation. I'm going to spend the rest of my life building bridges and bringing people together," said Clary, who deems racism a cancer on humanity."

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM

62 posts, read 96,568 times
Default Amen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Well, I don't know much about the man or what He preaches... but the following quote is great, esp. coming from a former kkk member:

"I've learned that good friends come in all colors. I believe I have something to contribute in the area of racial reconciliation. I'm going to spend the rest of my life building bridges and bringing people together," said Clary, who deems racism a cancer on humanity."
Amen! The journey of Rev. Clary, if indeed he once lighted crosses during his KKK ceremonies to symbolize the "glory" of Jesus Christ, reminds me of the situation in Athens that confronted the Apostle Paul (Acts 17:16-23); some repented, some mocked and others procrastinated. To the ears of those who believe some sins are unforgivable, even though that position is unsupported in Scripture, his conversion will always sound suspicious. I personally accept Brother Clary as a fellow Believer that is subject to temptations as much as any other Christian (1 John Chapters 1 & 2). I look forward to meeting him, if not in this world then certainly in heaven.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:53 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,671 times
I am sure there are plenty of Klan members in ministry, even ordained ministers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity