Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
You do understand that the loving God part falls under the first four commandments (or the first tablet of stone), and the loving your neighbor under the second 6 commandments AKA the second tablet!

Well it seems the sabbath is always the issue here. But I see it not only as the very first commandment in the bible, but also the only commandment that starts with the word REMEMBER!!!! Maybe your right. I think he wanted us to forget!!

You stick to your story and I'll stick to mine.

GOD BLESS!!!!
Which story is mine? Ahh...you mean this:

Luke 10:27-28 "THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL THY MIND; AND THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF"

28 And he (Jesus) said unto him,Thou hast answered right: "THIS DO,AND THOU SHALT LIFE"

Mark 3:4 And he (Jesus) said unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

6 And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him. (What belief about SABBATH days did the priests follow which Jesus belied?)

Not my story but, HIS STORY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Which story is mine? Ahh...you mean this:

Luke 10:27-28 "THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL THY MIND; AND THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF"

28 And he (Jesus) said unto him,Thou hast answered right: "THIS DO,AND THOU SHALT LIFE"

Mark 3:4 And he (Jesus) said unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

6 And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him. (What belief about SABBATH days did the priests follow which Jesus belied?)

Not my story but, HIS STORY!
That is a question, not a story. The Lord is asking YOU if it is lawful to do good, or is it lawful to do evil on the sabbath?? Is it lawful to save a life, or to kill on the sabbath???

Only you can answer his question!!!

Good or evil???

It can only be lawful to do one!!!

GOD BLESS!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I am a 'daughter of God' in training.
Me too! We agree again.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
You do understand that the loving God part falls under the first four commandments (or the first tablet of stone), and the loving your neighbor under the second 6 commandments AKA the second tablet!

Well it seems the sabbath is always the issue here. But I see it not only as the very first commandment in the bible, but also the only commandment that starts with the word REMEMBER!!!! Maybe your right. I think he wanted us to forget!!

You stick to your story and I'll stick to mine.

GOD BLESS!!!!
I was just replying to your claim of "You stick to your story and I'll stick to mine. Remember? So I said "which one is my story? then quoted the verses I have posted. I'm outta here...

Peace...

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I was just replying to your claim of "You stick to your story and I'll stick to mine. Remember?

Peace...
I remember!! LOL

GOD BLESS!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I remember!! LOL

GOD BLESS!!!
Glad we both agree...

Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Hi sparrow!!
How are you?? Good, I hope!! I just happened to see your thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents (if it is really worth that much) LOL. I believe that you are speaking of 1John 2:23 which says: 23. "Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also". Funny thing is that I just did a study on the spirit of antichrist and posted a thread on another forum which included this verse and adjacent verses to it in my thread. I am going to post the same thread here on CD later. Anyway, in my opinion, if you notice the verse does not say to acknowledge Him as the Son of God, but only to acknowledge Him. In order to figure out how to acknowledge him, you need not look further than the following verse which says: 24. Let that therefore "abide" in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

You MUST abide in what you have heard from the beginning. What exactly does that mean??? Abide means to...........(are you ready for that dreaded word!!)............OBEY!!!! In the very beginning after God had made all things and placed man in the garden of eden, God said something to Adam!! It would have been the very first thing heard by man!! "And the Lord commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest therof thou shalt surely die." Obey my commandments or thou shalt surely die!!! So, to acknowledge Christ, is to abide in God's 10 commandments which Jesus showed us can be accomplished. Sorry sparrow, I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but again........................my two cents (whatever it's worth to ya)!!!

GOD BLESS!!!!

Hi there. I am speaking specifically of 1 John 4 (that's why I put it in the title.)

Thanks,
sparrow

Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
24. Let that therefore "abide" in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

You MUST abide in what you have heard from the beginning. What exactly does that mean??? Abide means to...........(are you ready for that dreaded word!!)............OBEY!!!!
No it does NOT mean to OBEY . Strong's G3306 - menō Biblical usage:

1) to remain, abide

In reference to a place:

1) to sojourn, tarry
2) not to depart

a) to continue to be present
b) to be held, kept, continually

In reference to time:

1) to continue to be, not to perish, to last, endure

a) of persons, to survive, live

In reference to state or condition:

1) to remain as one, not to become another or different

2) to wait for, await one

Nowhere in there is any reference to obedience.
Quote:
Obey my commandments or thou shalt surely die!!! So, to acknowledge Christ, is to abide in God's 10 commandments which Jesus showed us can be accomplished.

But all Scripture is divided into two Testaments. That which preceded the advent and passion of Christ—that is, the law and the prophets—is called the Old; but those things which were written after His resurrection are named the New Testament.

The term "new covenant" is in the Bible. Among other places it can be found in Luke 22:20

This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you

and Hebrews 9:15

For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Galatians 3:23

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Romans 7:6

But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Galatian 5:14

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself

2 Corinthians 3:14

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

How do you reconcile referring to the tablets of stone with the 10 commandments as our guide under the New Covenant . . . remember above "
written not with ink, and "not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart."

Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
In John 2:16-17....`` God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life ....For God sent NOT his son into the world to condemn the world that the world through him might be saved.... He that believeth on him is not condemned But he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believeth in the name of the only Begotton Son of God``. .. Son of God Jesus Christ is our Big Brother in the Family of God and all are one in Heaven and on the earth.....

Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
How do you "acknowledge that Jesus is the son of God"?

What does this mean to you?
"There is no love without forgiveness, and no forgiveness without love; for what power has love, but forgiveness."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity