Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 11:46 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
When futurists look at this verse they think it means that some will sleep and some will not sleep, and that it is only believers who are being mentioned in this verse about being changed. I have had the idea that when it refers to the not all sleeping - it means that everyone will not keep "sleeping" ---- and that all will be changed.

In the greek could it/does it mean that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
When futurists look at this verse they think it means that some will sleep and some will not sleep, and that it is only believers who are being mentioned in this verse about being changed. I have had the idea that when it refers to the not all sleeping - it means that everyone will not keep "sleeping" ---- and that all will be changed.

ἰδοὺ μυστήριον ὑμῖν λέγω· πάντες οὐ κοιμηθησόμεθα, πάντες δὲ ἀλλαγησόμεθα,

Behold I shew you a mystery We shall not all (truly) sleep but we shall all be changed

Your guess is as good as mine... the KJV leaves out the μὲν which I put it parenthesis above (truly) which could be before the NOT rather than sleep thus affirming the not... but beyond that I have no idea. my feeling is that you are correct.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Thank you, Kat

Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Both "sleep" and "changed" in the Concordant literal show them as incomplete act verb forms and could be translated as: "We all, indeed, shall not be reposing, yet we all shall be changing."

I believe it means "We all" has to do only with the Uncircumcision believers. This is not about unbelievers who are reposing won't be changed as opposed to all believing reposers will be changed.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post

This verse and others have been leading me to believe that maybe the difference between being a believer now (by faith), and being a believer later (by sight) is that believers inherit eternal life and "never die," so they are the ones who will not "sleep," and non-believers receive the wages of sin (death) and do "sleep." But, all will eventually be changed at the resurrection. I'm still pondering that.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM

1 Cor. 15:20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

Fallen asleep/sleeping is death apparently. I always thought verse 51 was talking about how the idea the Hebrews had about Sheol was to be changed once Christ returned. That sleeping would not be a problem because you can be changed during life and not have to sleep....

Yet reading that over it is all so confusing. Most will tell you that this is a parallel verse to 1 Thess 4... but I don't see that. Hmmm...

Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Kat, I doubt 1 Cor.15:51,52 is about all mankind mainly because all mankind are not changed at the last trump. Why can't this be parallel to 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18?

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 CLV (51) Lo! a secret to you am I telling! We all,
indeed, shall not be put to repose, yet we all shall be changed, (52) in
an instant, in the twinkle of an eye, at the last trump. For He will be
trumpeting, and the dead will be roused incorruptible, and we shall be
changed."

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 CLV (13) "Now we do not want you to be
ignorant, brethren, concerning those who are reposing, lest you may
sorrow according as the rest, also, who have no expectation." (14) For, if
we are believing that Jesus died and rose, thus also, those who are put to
repose, will God, through Jesus, lead forth together with Him." (15) For
this we are saying to you by the word of the Lord, that we, the living,
who are surviving to the presence of the Lord, should by no means
outstrip those who are put to repose, (16) for the Lord Himself will be
descending from heaven with a shout of command, with the voice of the
Chief Messenger, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall
be rising first, (17) Thereupon we, the living who are surviving, shall at
the same time be snatched away together with them in clouds, to meet
the Lord in the air. And thus shall we always be together with the
Lord." (18) So that, console one another with these words."

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound (trumpet), the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Paul is grouping all believers into one marriage - the church, and those who are alive (not sleeping in Hades/Abraham's Bosom) at the time of the Parousia, will not "sleep", meaning they won't die and go to Hades to wait for the event that Paul is specifically talking about.
The resurrection of the dead ones, and the unification of the faithful dead, and the living church.
One Body, One Temple, One Kingdom.

And you are right, all will be awaken from their sleep, and, specifically Faithful National Israel, would be grafted back into the Holy Lump along with the Gentiles, including, the Queen of the South

Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In the book of Acts 7:58-60 Stephen was condemning the leaders of the temple to their face over the crucifiction of Jesus, so they stoned him to death...........``and caste him out of the city and stoned him and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young mans feet whose name was Saul... and they stoned Stephen, calling God and saying Lord Jesus receive My spirit.........and he kneeled down and cried with a loud voice Lord lay not this sin to their charge and had said this HE FELL ASLEEP``.... They martyred Shephen and he passed and the bible calls to fell asleep...... Jesus collected the spirit of Shephen and he lives today in Heaven with the Lord......

Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Kat, I doubt 1 Cor.15:51,52 is about all mankind mainly because all mankind are not changed at the last trump. Why can't this be parallel to 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18?

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 CLV (51) Lo! a secret to you am I telling! We all,
indeed, shall not be put to repose, yet we all shall be changed, (52) in
an instant, in the twinkle of an eye, at the last trump. For He will be
trumpeting, and the dead will be roused incorruptible, and we shall be
changed."

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 CLV (13) "Now we do not want you to be
ignorant, brethren, concerning those who are reposing, lest you may
sorrow according as the rest, also, who have no expectation." (14) For, if
we are believing that Jesus died and rose, thus also, those who are put to
repose, will God, through Jesus, lead forth together with Him." (15) For
this we are saying to you by the word of the Lord, that we, the living,
who are surviving to the presence of the Lord, should by no means
outstrip those who are put to repose, (16) for the Lord Himself will be
descending from heaven with a shout of command, with the voice of the
Chief Messenger, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall
be rising first, (17) Thereupon we, the living who are surviving, shall at
the same time be snatched away together with them in clouds, to meet
the Lord in the air. And thus shall we always be together with the
Lord." (18) So that, console one another with these words."
What makes you think all are not changed at the trumpet?

Both passages are about the resurrection (you have to be dead to be resurrected...) and the dead...

This is an affirmation of the resurrection to comfort those who loved people who died before Christ came again. Notice that 1 Thess 4 verse 15 states WE are the same 'living who are surviving to the PRESENCE of the LORD' and so cannot mean 2000+ years later. The dead rise and everyone else is changed in the presence of the lord ..IMO.. FROM THEN ON they have the laws of God written in the hearts and minds....etc.

Obviously I am interpreting it how I see but then... that is how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity