U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,082,452 times

Advertisements

I will never forget an article and photo I saw once in Time Life Magazine...it was of a starving child in some African desert...with a vulture standing feet away...waiting to dine on the childs carcass....

After I saw that...I realized I don't need Gods blessings....

I don't need your blessings God, until there are no more starving children in the world...

I don't need nor want your blessings God, until no more children are abused...

I don't need nor want your blessings God until people with illnesses are made whole...

I don't need nor want your blessings God, until you take care of the oppressed and down trodden...

Any blessings I have coming my way God...give them to hungry children instead, who live in Africa or South America or right here in the United States...

Lord give my blessings to those who are truly religiously oppressed, the christians living in Iran or China or Iraq...

Lord, until all these people are first tooken care of...I don't need nor deserve your blessings...

Last edited by Time and Space; 04-23-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,505,262 times
I can certainly relate and agree to what your saying from my perspective as well. Bless the suffering, I need nothing more than what I have now.

In fact God can take things away from me if that what it would take to stop others suffering.

Last edited by Phazelwood; 04-23-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 04:27 PM

20,950 posts, read 18,260,316 times
We all need and deserve God's blessing. It's limitless. It's not as if by someone saying "God Bless You" it takes Gods blessing away from someone else.

Think globally, act locally.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM

512 posts, read 823,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We all need and deserve God's blessing. It's limitless. It's not as if by someone saying "God Bless You" it takes Gods blessing away from someone else.

Think globally, act locally.
If only everyone could understand this concept.

Blessings aren't only bestowed as a way of granting an individual the things they want, or even need, in life. God's blessings, in it's purest form, is about our salvation. Without God's blessings we wouldn't be the Christians we are. So I think the OP might want to consider altering their way of thinking. Yes, the young, sick, and godless you mentioned need more in their lives to bring them to Christ, we all need His grace and blessings.

I meant to add here that the greatest form of charity and blessings we can bring to others is our own prayers for them. Prayer is stronger than any tangible object, even to the starving.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,508,290 times
The way I see it is that God has blessed many of us beyond our needs and we need to share that abundance to the ones who are hungry, homeless, need a job, etc..

He has also blessed us with gifts of teaching, hospitality, songs and words of praise, he has given some many gifts that nourish the spirit that we should share..The spirit is as needy of TLC as the body..

Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 AM

9,376 posts, read 8,965,443 times
I see that blaming God and pushing his blessing away as very selfish..... the world says``God blesses thoughs who helps themselves``,,,,,, where as the truth is ``God blesses thoughs who helps others``..... Pushing Gods blessing away is not going to amount to anything but rebellion.......... God equips his people to turn to him and pray and God can heal the Land and help the people. God need you blessed so your passion to go out and help these people..... The lack in the world does not come from God it is because people push God away and think they can do it with out him or his concepts...... Don`t blame God .........

Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,284,096 times
I agree that there is enough for all but AISI there is a point to be made about a middle class American praying for a raise and getting it while a 4 year old across the globe prays for food and starves to death.

We will give God credit for the raise and at the same time absolve Him of the child's death.

Even if God made me very wealthy and I wanted to give it all away - still: oceans and governments and armies stand in between that wealth and those who need it.

There does seem to be a certain injustice about who has what, an injustice which seems to go unresolved while greed and selfishness are still in control.

What do you guys make of it all?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 AM

4,313 posts, read 6,642,743 times
We are forgiven AS we forgive.
We are loved AS we love.
Our blessing, IS BEING a blessing.

(In my never to be humble opinion)

Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM

20,950 posts, read 18,260,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I agree that there is enough for all but AISI there is a point to be made about a middle class American praying for a raise and getting it while a 4 year old across the globe prays for food and starves to death.

We will give God credit for the raise and at the same time absolve Him of the child's death.

Even if God made me very wealthy and I wanted to give it all away - still: oceans and governments and armies stand in between that wealth and those who need it.

There does seem to be a certain injustice about who has what, an injustice which seems to go unresolved while greed and selfishness are still in control.

What do you guys make of it all?
That is not the way it works.

I pray everyday the God give me the ability to do my best, provide my daily needs and protect me from evil. The rest has to do with the gifts that God gave me.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,158,608 times
Yes, god....before you bother helping someone who prays about finding their car keys or winning the national football championships, please help the 16 year old African girl who is dying of AIDS and was not brought up to believe in you. Although she has heard of you, she doesn't have the benefit of being geographically blessed to have been brought up in the one true religion, and therefore because she does not have a belief in you, she will go to a fiery hell. Please reveal yourself to ALL people in a manner where there is no dispute that you exist. Then they will at least have the opportunity to decide whether to have faith (trust) in you, or to reject you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity