U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,711,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Pretty much what I was thinking. He forgave them for that act, but does not mean He forgive to life giving salvation.
So...they were down 1 point on the Sin Scale? One notch less of sin? What good did that do? NOT trying to belittle your statement, I just truly don't understand.

Will have to get the answer on Monday! Out for the weekend! God bless everyone, thanks for the discussion!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,164,808 times
Back to the original question...

In the story of the Exodus from Egypt, God became so mad at the Israelites that he was going to destroy them. However, Moses interceded and implored God to reconsider for His name's sake. So, the Israelites were spared the earthly and immediate consequence (punishment) for their sin. The prophets of the O.T. (and others) often interceded for the people. Again, immediate consequences were set aside.

I think these are examples of God forgiving either one specific sin or a set of sins when the people didn't ask for forgiveness. One person interceded on their behalf and asked God to forgive. Consequently, the people didn't receive the immediate, earthly punishment of their sin.

Let's contrast that with Korah who led Israelites in rebellion in the wilderness. No one interceded for him; he, his family, and all who joined in the rebellion were immediately destroyed. The same thing happened when Achan kept some of the plunder from Jericho. No one interceded. Achan and his family suffered the consequences of Achan's sin (although, this time, it was at the people's hands but by God's direction). In the book of Acts, we see Ananias and Sapphira suffer the immediate consequence of their sin; no one had interceded on their behalf.

I can't imagine an act more vile that what Jesus experienced. What would the Father's reaction be? If anyone ever deserved an immediate zapping from God, these people did. However, Jesus interceded. Unlike all the examples I've used so far, however, the people who crucified Jesus really didn't understand what they were doing; they didn't understand that He was God and that He was perfect. Some probably thought they were doing the right thing. So Jesus interceded for the people and asked the Father to forgive them. Like others, I think it was only for this one act and perhaps the sins leading up to the act.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity