Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I kind of think you're misunderstanding me, antredd. I don't believe my religion can save me any more than you think your Bible can save you. And if you think I rely on the Watchtower Publications to help me interpret the Bible, well, uh... I can't think of a reason in the world why I would do that. You don't think I'm a Jehovah's Witness, do you?
I stand corrected then, but from reading your posts you seem to swing on the JWs side. So do you agree with their doctrine or not then? If so, then no need to continue my ping pong discussion with you or them about this topic of is there a true religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:59 PM

26 posts, read 24,212 times
There is only one true relationship with God. and it`s trought faith in Jesus Christ alone. Not trought work salvation like the Jehovah withness proclaim. This is an other Gospel that deny the sufficiency of Jesus death on the Cross. If you would need to work to get saved, then the man on the right of Jesus would have had to work on the cross to evangelise other before, but Jesus told him : today you will be in heaven with me! He just needed to trust Jesus and repent. He did it on the cross and was enought for him to be saved.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM

312 posts, read 867,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnerre2000 View Post
There is only one true relationship with God. and it`s trought faith in Jesus Christ alone. Not trought work salvation like the Jehovah withness proclaim. This is an other Gospel that deny the sufficiency of Jesus death on the Cross. If you would need to work to get saved, then the man on the right of Jesus would have had to work on the cross to evangelise other before, but Jesus told him : today you will be in heaven with me! He just needed to trust Jesus and repent. He did it on the cross and was enought for him to be saved.
Faith without works is dead. (James 2:24) That does not deny anything that Jesus did through his death at all. In fact, it was exactly WHAT Jesus did during his 3 1/2 year ministry on earth before his sacrificial death! Think about all the ministering he did during that time- he preached to people so they could get to truly know his Father and then showed them what the future would be like by healing them and bringing some back to life!

When Jesus was dying on the torture stake the man being executed next to him recognized him to be innocent of the fraudulent charges that brought about his execution. He showed tremendous faith that the Jews in general did not. Jesus could also see this man's heart condition and knew right then and there if he was showing true faith and repentance as well.
"And we, indeed, justly so, for we are receiving in full what we deserve for things we did; but this [man] did nothing out of the way.” And he went on to say: “Jesus, remember me when you get into your kingdom.” And he said to him: “Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:41-43)

Yes, those were truly exceptional circumstances.

Jesus himself showed through his own life course though, more than just faith is needed.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Once again, Jehovah's Witnesses have successfully defended their faith like my friend DiJay above. And yes, the JW's are the only group of people who are successfully following the Bible. And they are the only group that comes to Jehovah through his Son Jesus Christ in order to get their sins forgiven. But they must repent of their sins first, then ask God for forgiveness, then they must live in harmony with that prayer. Not all JW's do, but they at least have the correct mechanism to approach God and go about serving him properly. Believe me, how you serve God does matter.

And God's name is Jehovah. No one else calls themselves Jehovah's Witnesses. It is an exclusive name for an exclusive group of people on the earth.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Once again, Jehovah's Witnesses have successfully defended their faith like my friend DiJay above. And yes, the JW's are the only group of people who are successfully following the Bible. And they are the only group that comes to Jehovah through his Son Jesus Christ in order to get their sins forgiven. But they must repent of their sins first, then ask God for forgiveness, then they must live in harmony with that prayer. Not all JW's do, but they at least have the correct mechanism to approach God and go about serving him properly. Believe me, how you serve God does matter.

And God's name is Jehovah. No one else calls themselves Jehovah's Witnesses. It is an exclusive name for an exclusive group of people on the earth.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you on some of this. Why you may ask well DiJay is correct James 2:24 states Faith without Works is Dead.

However, the Word of God also tells us in Romans 3:20
—"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in [God's] sight: for by the law is the knowledge ofsin."

Also the Word of The Lord states in Romans 3:28
—"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."

As well as in Titus 3:5 which states
—"He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit."

So what is James 2:24 - Think about it

Faith without works is indeed dead, because if we examine this word in its true context. James is saying that your Faith in God will produce good work.

Anyone can do a work and proclaim that they have a certain faith, and if this person is judge soley on his or her works than you really would not know the true intention of this person. So the Word of God is not saying that that one must work in order to be saved, but the Word of God is saying that your work is a justification of your Faith.

Salavation is a gift of God it was and still is His Grace and Mercy that has saved us all.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you on some of this. Why you may ask well DiJay is correct James 2:24 states Faith without Works is Dead.

However, the Word of God also tells us in Romans 3:20
—"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in [God's] sight: for by the law is the knowledge ofsin."

Also the Word of The Lord states in Romans 3:28
—"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."

As well as in Titus 3:5 which states
—"He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit."

So what is James 2:24 - Think about it

Faith without works is indeed dead, because if we examine this word in its true context. James is saying that your Faith in God will produce good work.

Anyone can do a work and proclaim that they have a certain faith, and if this person is judge soley on his or her works than you really would not know the true intention of this person. So the Word of God is not saying that that one must work in order to be saved, but the Word of God is saying that your work is a justification of your Faith.

Salavation is a gift of God it was and still is His Grace and Mercy that has saved us all.
Amen! I could not have said it any better. JWs really worship their religion instead of Jehovah God. Every time one posts or you speak to one, they praise their religion over God, and when shown that their religion has been in error when it comes to prophecy or just bad doctrine, the excuse is that Jehovah has been bringing them to light. Now what I don't get, if you are a religion that has a direct link to Jehovah God because you're God's only true worshipers, then why would a perfect God allow his only true religion to err? Makes one go hummmmmmmmmmmmm?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

JWs are apologists, which basically means that they have a system or method in place to teach their members how to DEFEND their beliefs or interpretations of the bible. I have learned that once a religion, mine included, have established that they have Scripture to back up their beliefs, taken in context or not, then the battle for reasoning with the Scriptures is over, because no one wants to admit that perhaps the Word of God is what matters, not what my religion thinks or what I think about the matter even when it's made as plain as day.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 AM

910 posts, read 1,338,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
JWs are apologists, which basically means that they have a system or method in place to teach their members how to DEFEND their beliefs or interpretations of the bible. I have learned that once a religion, mine included, have established that they have Scripture to back up their beliefs, taken in context or not, then the battle for reasoning with the Scriptures is over, because no one wants to admit that perhaps the Word of God is what matters, not what my religion thinks or what I think about the matter even when it's made as plain as day.
There is indeed only one true religion which is the religion of Love. Love one another and love God and believe in the salvation brought about by his first son dying on the cross. Honor all men, love the brotherhood, Love the King and fear God!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
The use of the term "true religion" instead of "Christian" raises questions about one's agenda. Religion is man's way of seeking God, while Jesus Christ is God's Way of reaching out to man. God's Way is the Way, while 'religion' and $3.95 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

The 'true church on earth' is the church of all believers in Jesus Christ. There may be a number of 'sincere worshippers,' but, what does that really mean? How about 'worshipping God in Spirit and Truth, as Jesus stated in John 4.

Some claim to believe in Christ, yet mean that they believe ...He is only a great prophet, teacher, religious leader ... or even "the Son of God ... (AS they falsely claim, we all are)". These claims are actually an indirect rejection of who Christ really is: God incarnate, the Word made Flesh.

Since JW's categorically reject the deity (Godhead) of Jesus Christ, they cannot truly be "Christians." Regardless of what they claim, they are of the antichrist, who also make false claims.(1 John 2:22, 4:3, 2 John 1:7, 1:10, 1 Tim 6:3 --- etc.). Yes, they quote scripture, as do all cults, but, reject the absolute authority of the Bible, in favor of their 'green book of interpretations.'

This subject should probably be in the 'religion and philosophy' forum, not the 'Christianity' forum.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 PM

409 posts, read 399,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The use of the term "true religion" instead of "Christian" raises questions about one's agenda. Religion is man's way of seeking God, while Jesus Christ is God's Way of reaching out to man. God's Way is the Way, while 'religion' and $3.95 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

The 'true church on earth' is the church of all believers in Jesus Christ. There may be a number of 'sincere worshippers,' but, what does that really mean? How about 'worshipping God in Spirit and Truth, as Jesus stated in John 4.

Some claim to believe in Christ, yet mean that they believe ...He is only a great prophet, teacher, religious leader ... or even "the Son of God ... (AS they falsely claim, we all are)". These claims are actually an indirect rejection of who Christ really is: God incarnate, the Word made Flesh.

Since JW's categorically reject the deity (Godhead) of Jesus Christ, they cannot truly be "Christians." Regardless of what they claim, they are of the antichrist, who also make false claims.(1 John 2:22, 4:3, 2 John 1:7, 1:10, 1 Tim 6:3 --- etc.). Yes, they quote scripture, as do all cults, but, reject the absolute authority of the Bible, in favor of their 'green book of interpretations.'

This subject should probably be in the 'religion and philosophy' forum, not the 'Christianity' forum.

Because the witnesses actually believe that Jesus is indeed the Son of God as the Bible states, you believe they are not christian? They agree with the Bible while you agree with a man made trinity doctrine which by the way, can be googled and proven to be man made. God's word tells us that Jesus was his first creation and that he is his Son. Jesus said that the Father is greater than him. People can twist scriptures but the truth is still there for the honest hearted to seek as if searching for treasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity