Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

So why do some folk cling to the King James Bible? I mean the language is 400 years old and the meanings of words have changed. Now I do understand it is the Bible that Paul used , but still. Some examples of linguistic problems, when using the language of Shakespeare in the 21st century to share the truths of God.

Examples:

James 5:11 (NKJV) As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

James 5:11 (KJV) Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

The KJV in 21st century English says two things. God will end and He is pitiful. Not exactly theologically correct as God is eternal and powerful.
1 Cor 13:3 (NKJV) And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

1 Cor 13: 3 (KJV) And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing

Umm…in 21st century lingo “charity” means giving to the poor. The KJV makes no sense taken at face value here.
1Kings 21:21 (KJV) Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that *****eth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,

1Kings 21:21 (NKJV) Behold, I will bring calamity on you. I will take away your posterity, and will cut off from Ahab every male in Israel, both bond and free.

Oh, this will make the church ladies blush and preachers hem and haw.

So why stick with a 400 year old rendering of Greek and Hebrew manuscripts when the English language has changed? I do not serve a pitful God BTW. My God is powerful not pitiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
I am not a KJV-only person, although I have it around to check my other versions. I have the Good News Translation, which I use the most, the Complete Jewish Bible and I read many other translations online.

The only thing that bothers me about the Good News Translation is that it leaves out the ending to the Lord's Prayer, which bugs me; it leaves this part out; "for thine is the kingdom, power, and glory forever."

I would like to know why.....

Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
The only reason I use the King James is because it is stored in my memory in a way that other versions are not, so I find it easier to look up a scripture from memory by typing the King James version of various scriptures. I don't have a preference for it though. I realize it is a very flawed translation. I'm no good with Greek and Hebrew - it's just not my calling to transcribe in that way.
But I sure do appreciate those who do have that calling and gift.

Heartsong

Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
I never use the KJV Bible and we don't have it in the pews at church. If we did, I would remove them.

Biblical Scholars have demonstrated repeatedly that the KJV has more mis-translations than other versions (not including Good News, literal versions etc.). Why would I want to use something that has been proved to be inaccurate?

A good read on the KJV is the book Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman. There are many other theologians who also share the view it is a badly flawed translation.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I never use the KJV Bible and we don't have it in the pews at church. If we did, I would remove them.

Biblical Scholars have demonstrated repeatedly that the KJV has more mis-translations than other versions (not including Good News, literal versions etc.). Why would I want to use something that has been proved to be inaccurate?

A good read on the KJV is the book Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman. There are many other theologians who also share the view it is a badly flawed translation.

Maybe I'll check out that book. I'm always in the middle of about 10 books, though, so it might be some time before I get to it.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I am not a KJV-only person, although I have it around to check my other versions. I have the Good News Translation, which I use the most, the Complete Jewish Bible and I read many other translations online.

The only thing that bothers me about the Good News Translation is that it leaves out the ending to the Lord's Prayer, which bugs me; it leaves this part out; "for thine is the kingdom, power, and glory forever."

I would like to know why.....
Really?! That's not good! That would definitely bug me too.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
I don't own a King James Bible. I really see no reason to.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
over time we have gotten to know it very well.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
I too have the KJV in my memory, but more important than the book is how the Lord has worked in you to understand His words and ways. As we walk with Him and He works in us, the process is simplified.

imo

Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
I use the KJV more than the other translations. Why? Because...I liketh ye Old Tyme English as used in the Psalms, that's why! It just makes what is one of my favorite books even that much better...there is just something really cool about it...the picture it paints is incredible!

Psalm 42
1As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

2My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity