Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

To Christians and non-Christians alike. If it is as most Christians say: the unsaved will be the majority of humankind, and they will spend eternity SUFFERING, not just being 'separated' (which would be suffering anyway) but suffering conscious mental and physical pain, and the select few elect will rejoice in heaven.

If you were God or you could change God's mind, would you make it so the atheists were right? I.e. when we die we just die. You'd be denied fellowship with God, but you'd spare millions suffering. It's as tough one when you love God so much, but so dearly want to spare people the wrath of the Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
If the atheists were right, it would contradict scripture - "the fool hath said in his heart 'there is no God'"; and "all flesh will see the glory of God".

So...

Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
To Christians and non-Christians alike. If it is as most Christians say: the unsaved will be the majority of humankind, and they will spend eternity SUFFERING, not just being 'separated' (which would be suffering anyway) but suffering conscious mental and physical pain, and the select few elect will rejoice in heaven.

If you were God or you could change God's mind, would you make it so the atheists were right? I.e. when we die we just die. You'd be denied fellowship with God, but you'd spare millions suffering. It's as tough one when you love God so much, but so dearly want to spare people the wrath of the Lord.
Yep... I think that would be fair. and more just than anyone suffering needlessly. (Easy for me to say though considering I don't pretend to know what happens after death)

Seems to me if you love something unseen but not those around you that you can see then you really don't love God all that much anyway.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 AM

28 posts, read 29,826 times
Quote:
The only way to spare people from God's wrath is to come to him by his son Jesus Christ. If I were God, or could change his mind (I could do neither) I would spare everyone. But we can only judge this situation by human standards that are not God's way. As sinners we don't want to listen to God's truth, as he says in Isaiah 30:10 who say to the seers, "Do not see," and to the prophets, "Do not prophesy to us what is right; speak to us smooth things, prophesy illusions,
Isa 30:11 leave the way, turn aside from the path, let us hear no more about the Holy One of Israel."
Spreading God's word that he has provided for us is the only way to prevent his wrath. Anything else is useless.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Gods way is to bring us all to his glory, so I don't need to change his mind about the matter.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
This is just one lone Atheists opinion

I would think that if the Christian god did exist (and I have my doubts, of course) he would be happy that his creation developed the cognitive skills to learn, expand their intelligence and questions EVERYTHINGS existence, including his own. It's like realizing that your children are more knowledgeable than you are... you obviously did something right in raising them.

Of course, nobody can truly know what 'god' thinks, so I just don't worry about it.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:11 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
The mere fact that you're even having a conversation about Him....should be telling you something. In other words, why even bother to dispute "something" you don't believe exist in the first place? It does'nt exist.....

Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Quote:

I'm not like most Christians because I believe Jesus won't fail in His mission to seek and to save the lost. However, given the choice between people suffering for eternity vs. death, there's no other answer besides death. Thankfully, God is much more merciful than most people give Him credit for. It should be very thought-provoking for one to realize that an atheist is more merciful than God if they want people to just die and God wants them to suffer forever. It should also make one think, to realize that if God will not forgive those who know not what they do, then as Jesus was dying on the cross, He asked God to go against His will. Jesus Himself asked God to change His mind, but God refused to answer His son's prayer.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is just one lone Atheists opinion

I would think that if the Christian god did exist (and I have my doubts, of course) he would be happy that his creation developed the cognitive skills to learn, expand their intelligence and questions EVERYTHINGS existence, including his own. It's like realizing that your children are more knowledgeable than you are... you obviously did something right in raising them.

Of course, nobody can truly know what 'god' thinks, so I just don't worry about it.
JetJockey, just wanted to let you know that God loves you, even though you don't realize it. He knit you together in your mother's womb! You are very special to Him. Jesus died for the sins of the world, not just the religious. Peace to you, and I hope you'll seek God!

Psalm 139:
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 PM

117 posts, read 344,656 times
If the atheist's are right???

We are right so why should I even care???

Seriously though, in this world I have no problem with being punished if I got caught as I knowingly did something wrong. I mean, if I got caught robbing a bank, I could accept why I'm spending time in jail/prison. I don't see how your next world would be different.

What I have a problem with is being punished (or overly punished) for something I either didn't do or did do but didn't think it was that big of a deal. If I were a 13 year-old kid again and bullied someone for his 50-cent milk money, why should I spend the rest of my life in prison?

Translate that into your question.

If there was a Hell, the worst "sinners" should go and suffer (ie the mass murderers etc) but for us unbelievers or "christians" that just didn't think "the right way"...annhilation is the only way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity