U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM

19,023 posts, read 24,380,418 times

Advertisements

1986 Ram 2500 Van. This is a full blown conversion van with swivel seats, I don't think these are Didge factory seats.

I want to move the passanger seat back and away from the wall just enough the seat beal bar mounted on the swivel won't hit the wall just back of the door post.

The problem is a cable going to a door threshold button, much like a dome lights switch.

I have taken the seat belt mechanism apart so much as I can and still can not determine what this cable does. Wiith the door open the button pops out, and of course with the door closed the button is pressed in.

With the button in my hands I can operate it and see the strands of cable move in the device. Like I said I can't determine what this cable is doing.

I am hoping it just tells the seat belt the door is open and so won't gag the seat belt when removing it from a body, and so I can cut the cable because it isn't long enough to move with the chair to turn it to face rear wards. Where it goes in the mechanism into a seal pink plastic cage I can't see the All Of.

It doesn't appear to really do anything as best I can tell. The counter weight works if I tip the mechanism with the button in or out, which locks the belt, which is simulating a crash.

The way this is made prevents any longer cable, but I don't think I really need the cable, but hope someone here knows what this really does before I wreck the seat belt.

The button is mounted low in the rear door post, and a lot larger than the dome lights switch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 AM

9,308 posts, read 19,154,632 times
I don't know what it does. I'd just go for a drive with this piece lying on the floor of the van with the button out and somebody riding shotgun with their seatbelt on to see what happens.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,380,418 times
That's a good idea. All this goes with a entire new underlayment and carpet/upholstery , but I can do that idea........

The problem is these belts don't lock up untill there IS a crash, but can hang up on some mountain roads, when they are a little steep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram