Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:15 AM

628 posts, read 838,102 times

Advertisements

Why does Chrysler deside to build crap vehicles compared to other car makers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:13 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
I wouldn't call them crap, it depends on how you look at a car. Toyota makes reliable cars, but they're appliances - bland, underpowered compared to some of the competition and woefully behind the times in terms of options. Same with Honda and Nissan. If that's what you want, go for it. Some of us want something other than a bland econobox.

You can't buy a Toyota sedan (or a Ford, for that matter) with a 485hp V8. Nor can you buy a midsize Toyota SUV optioned anywhere close to a Grand Cherokee, and there's no V8 option at all (important if you have anything to tow). Not to mention, no one outside BMW and Porsche makes an SUV built for speed except Jeep with the Grand Cherokee SRT and the upcoming TrackHawk. Tell me, what SUV does Honda or Ford make that has almost 500 horses and can drive in the snow?

I've had 4 Jeeps in the last 15 years, one of the "worse rated" cars out there. Never had one towed. They've got some QC issues to be sure, but the drivetrains have been rock solid. They've always gotten me home, no matter the weather.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
JEEP made my sahara with sport fenders on one side and pained fenders on the other . there were pictures of it in automotive news ,

the dealer gave us the car that way

the engine had to have the valve heads replaced at 16k on the pentastar because of poor design .

in 5 years we ate 2 battery's , a starter , a steering damper and 4 ball joints and we do no off roading .

it had some other minor issues as well.

my bmw's were all trouble free for years

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-15-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 06:58 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I wouldn't call them crap, it depends on how you look at a car. Toyota makes reliable cars, but they're appliances - bland, underpowered compared to some of the competition and woefully behind the times in terms of options. Same with Honda and Nissan. If that's what you want, go for it. Some of us want something other than a bland econobox.

You can't buy a Toyota sedan (or a Ford, for that matter) with a 485hp V8. Nor can you buy a midsize Toyota SUV optioned anywhere close to a Grand Cherokee, and there's no V8 option at all (important if you have anything to tow). Not to mention, no one outside BMW and Porsche makes an SUV built for speed except Jeep with the Grand Cherokee SRT and the upcoming TrackHawk. Tell me, what SUV does Honda or Ford make that has almost 500 horses and can drive in the snow?

I've had 4 Jeeps in the last 15 years, one of the "worse rated" cars out there. Never had one towed. They've got some QC issues to be sure, but the drivetrains have been rock solid. They've always gotten me home, no matter the weather.

(last paragraph ).......seems you set the bar quite low on your expectations of your jeeps

Old 02-15-2017, 07:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post

But very few people are looking to buy a sedan with a 485hp V8. How many of those does Chrysler actually sell per year? They're going to have to learn to make reliable mainstream vehicles or go out of business. It seems like they've had issues with automatic transmissions for 30 years now. How long does it take to figure it out?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:03 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
in the pentastar they had issues with there not being enough coolant circulation in the heads and the heat would warp the valves and start ticking . eventually the check engine light came on from misses .

so far no issues with the replaced heads . i have 65k now , the heads were replaced at 16k

Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
As manufacturers merge, are sold, or need federal assistance, quality goes up and down. We had great luck with a 1989 and then a 1996 Cherokee, but a horrible experience with a 2002 Jeep Liberty. My 2013 Challenger has been trouble free (other than one recall for alternator) but most of it is Mercedes, which is why I went for that year. Now with Fiat running Chrysler, I would be more skeptical. Chrysler has tended to be more of a "form over function" company, with some of the better looking vehicles, possibly sacrificing reliability. The worst, in my experience since the 1980s, is their service departments and sales people.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Do you have an example? Or are we just speculating based on things like JD Power rankings?

Recent Chrysler offerings have been hammered in a lot of the quality/satisfaction surveys as a result of the 9 speed FWD automatic transmissions in the Jeep Cherokee and Renegade, and Chrysler 200. Chrysler did not decide to sell a bad transmission, and is working to try and resolve issues. Chrysler bought the design from ZF, and has fitted it to their vehicles but has not been able to sort out the programming to make it meet customer satisfaction. One could blame Chrysler here, but both Land Rover and Honda/Acura also use this same ZF transmission, and they too have the same rough shifting issues plaguing the products they use them in. ZF is trying to wash it's hands saying the design is fine, and it is the purchasing company's programming that is wrong.

In my own anecdotal experience, Chrysler's real world reliability has far exceeded it's ratings, where as other makers products (cough Ford cough) have fallen well short. I have had a couple Jeeps, and a pair of Chargers, and have had nothing worse than a cruise control button and a rear wiper button go bad across all four.

Of course, I also think Chrysler quality varies a LOT depending on the product. The LX cars are very good, (Charger is a class leader in sales), but are built on some very solid Mercedes E and S Class platform components which really let them ride and handle well, even though the Merc components are quite long in the tooth now. Cars like the Jeep Compass/Patriot are not reputed good, and have roots in the old Sebring with co development and platform sharing with Hyundai. Among cars like the last generation Sebring, the compass/Patriot, etc, you had them come to market during the ownership of Cerebus Equity too, which cut as many corners as possible as they were just trying to strip as much cash out of the company as possible. Then you have the Dodge Dart, the first Fiat sourced product, which has some flaws from being rushed to market to satisfy the government restructure after the bailout.

I know I am getting long winded. I guess ultimately, I feel Chrysler quality is really something that needs evaluation vehicle to vehicle, as things like build quality and even ultimate reliability vary greatly, and it is from having multiple ownerships and development partnerships over the past decade or so, which took each vehicle platform and program down different roads.

Hopefully if FCA ownership continues, and products are more consistently engineered under the same development teams and receive proper periodic improvement, overall quality and reliability will rise.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But very few people are looking to buy a sedan with a 485hp V8. How many of those does Chrysler actually sell per year? They're going to have to learn to make reliable mainstream vehicles or go out of business. It seems like they've had issues with automatic transmissions for 30 years now. How long does it take to figure it out?
But that is still glossing over his point. Honda had automatic transmission issues for years in V6 equipped vehicles like the Odyssey, RL and Accord. If you stick to appliance like cars with low torque 4 cylinders and few high tech options you have less chances of complaints. Anytime any automaker delves into high performance or niche off road vehicles the chances of higher complaints and problems increases.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:06 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Chrysler / Dodge / Ram is about being bold, cool, and powerful. Their customers don't demand great reliability. Toyota and Honda are the opposite. They are about practical and reliable so their customers are fine with their car being more bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram