Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,278,431 times

Advertisements

This is a 2-door 2WD Jeep Cherokee Sport. I bought it new in 1997 and have maintained it very well. It has 96,000 miles and just had the 100,000-mile maintenance checkup.

A couple of days ago I noticed a chirping noise. It's not very loud but the rhythm increases as the speed increases. It seems to be reduced when I apply the brakes.

At first I thought it might be the belt, which has never been replaced. But the strange thing is that the chirping continues (although not quite so strongly) for up to a minute after the car is turned off. Would a loose belt do that?

I'm not very good at locating sounds but it *seems* to be coming from an area closer to the front passenger wheel anyway. Not right at the wheel but maybe somewhere in the drivetrain area?

The car rides very smoothly. No vibrating, hesitating or anything like that.

I plan to take it in to the shop next week but would really appreciate any suggestions regarding what anyone thinks the problem could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Brake wear sensors.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 AM

Wow! That was fast!

I had a complete brake job done with the 100,000 mile checkup two weeks ago. I didnt even need the brake job -- but the brake job I had done two years ago involved cheaper parts and I hated the noise my brakes made from day one of that brake work. So this time I insisted on premium parts.

This noise seems to cease, or reduce greatly, when I apply the brakes. I dont know anything about brake wear sensors but I'll google it and see what I can find. Thanks!

Last edited by TFW46; 03-31-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Its not really about "premium" or "cheapo" as to whether your brakes squeal when you stop. All metallic brake pads and most semi-metallic brake pads tend to squeal. Organic brake pads do not. They are a little more prone to overheating if you are pulling a trailer on a mountain road, but other than that or a racing car, there is no reason not to get the organic pads.

Of course, that is not the problem with the "chirping."

Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
"But the strange thing is that the chirping continues (although not quite so strongly) for up to a minute after the car is turned off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Brake wear sensors.
I haven't heard about a break sensors that go off after the vehicle is turned off? Most of them are a scraper that is affixed to the pad and when they wear down this comes into contact with the rotor. The wheel has to be turning for it to make any noise.

On most vehicles the only thing that runs after you shut the vehicle off is the cooling fan.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM

snofarmer, thanks SO much! I was baffled by the chirping after the car is turned off. I've started googling "jeep cherokee cooling fan chirping" and it sounds as though that may be the problem.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
Hope that's it.

anytime

Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 AM

I'll report back next week and let you know. Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM

2,728 posts, read 5,341,103 times
The first part of your description sounds like brake wear-indicators squeaking.

However, the ONLY thing that could be chirping AFTER you turn off the vehicle would be a theromostatically controlled auxiliary cooling fan.

This should be a VERY easy thing to check. When you turn off your Jeep, and the chirping continues, pop open the hood and look immediately behind the radiator to see if a fan is turning. If it is, and the chirping stops when the fan stops, you've found your problem.

There might be something wedged in the fan, or the fan motor might have dry bearings. Either way, the fix is fairly simply and fairly inexpensive.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
The first part of your description sounds like brake wear-indicators squeaking.

However, the ONLY thing that could be chirping AFTER you turn off the vehicle would be a theromostatically controlled auxiliary cooling fan.

This should be a VERY easy thing to check. When you turn off your Jeep, and the chirping continues, pop open the hood and look immediately behind the radiator to see if a fan is turning. If it is, and the chirping stops when the fan stops, you've found your problem.

There might be something wedged in the fan, or the fan motor might have dry bearings. Either way, the fix is fairly simply and fairly inexpensive.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, George! I actually tried to pop open the hood last night after I turned the car off. However, I'm still recovering from a stroke and didnt have the strength to do it. (It's very frustrating because I took car repair courses and used to do maintenance and minor repairs myself.)

With your info, I may ask my neighbor to open the hood after I take the car for a drive this weekend. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram