Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 11:54 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times

Advertisements

We are considering a Jeep Gladiator for our next vehicle based on our perception of what it si and how it can be used, more than knowledge. I am curious about what experiences people who have one have with them.

Our perceptions:
Decent pick up bed size.
reasonable hauling/towing weight capability.
Very good to excellent off road capability (also narrower han a standard pick up).
Able to go out on beaches/dunes.
A convertible pick up truck - how cool is that?
Good in snow.
Reasonably comfortable for 4 people, or two people and a big dog.
Can be flat towed behind an RV.
Cool looking.
Way more fun than a regular pick up.

Downsides we know of:
Terrible screen electronics system.
Bad MPG.
Absurdly high price.
Storage and risk of theft of removable parts (top, doors, etc).
Somewhat underpowered.
Being Chrysler - high probability of many of the cool features breaking pretty early on.
Engine stupidly and unnecessarily complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 02:14 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,887,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are considering a Jeep Gladiator for our next vehicle based on our perception of what it si and how it can be used, more than knowledge. I am curious about what experiences people who have one have with them.

Our perceptions:
Decent pick up bed size.
Very good to excellent off road capability (also narrower han a standard pick up).
Good in snow.
Cool looking.

Downsides we know of:
Bad MPG.
Absurdly high price.
Somewhat underpowered.
Being Chrysler - high probability of many of the cool features breaking pretty early on.
I can't speak for most of this. I do own a Wrangler. Get the pentastar if you want a simple engine. That is a good, powerful, and simple engine that Chrysler has built long enough to fix the kinks.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,398,918 times
Have you googled a Jeep owners forum?

Old 11-15-2020, 04:16 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,843,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Our perceptions:
Decent pick up bed size.
Good in snow.
Cool looking.

Downsides we know of:
Bad MPG.
Absurdly high price.
Somewhat underpowered.
For your downsides:
The infotainment is actually an upside. It's the most user friendly infotainment I've seen to date and consistently wins appraises from 3rd parties. https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/b...o%20Sensus.%20

"Bad MPG" and "absurdly high price" is irrelevant as most trucks in this segment aren't not MPG queens. You'll make up the mileage in resell....https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...h=1fab233466c8 It's all about "cost to own". Crazy money is in European imports out of warranty as repair cost will be high and depreciation will be steep. That's real blue blood territory.

Risk of theft....how often does that happen that you've seen a police report on stolen doors and roofs?

Underpowered?...are you expecting sub 3 second 0-60 times? It's a boxy truck with giant tires. Something's got to give.

Being Chrysler...these are not exotic products. The powertrains have been produced in the millions with plenty of real world testing. "cool features" are what? Folding roofs and 4wd? They're not terribly complex and pretty straight forward.

Engine complexity? ...Simple DOHC naturally aspirated V6 they've made since 2010 and one of Ward's Best Engines https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/12/...-engines-46813
I don't know where you're getting this information.

Resell is strong enough where you can buy this, try it out and sell it a year later for almost what you paid for it. Pull the trigger!

Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
The direct competition is the Tacoma TRD Pro. Watch some youtube videos.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:43 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,163,918 times
You have to want a wrangler/gladiator for its off-road performance and/or top down fun etc.... or don't even bother buying one. A tacoma will be 10 times better for everything else. And I am saying this from somebody who has owned 4 wranglers, and still owns one as a second/fun vehicle. They really aren't that practical with respect to comfort, performance, reliability etc.... but if you want to hit the trails or drive around with the top down, there is nothing else like it.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,675,590 times
It's a 4 door Wrangler with a truck bed instead of the rear cargo area. I've driven a few and seriously considered buying one of the JL's, but the lack of power seats and a telescoping wheel are deal breakers for me. Coming off a Grand Cherokee, I wasn't willing to lose certain creature comforts. I did buy another GC though, so I stuck with Jeep anyway. If the Gladiator had the features I wanted, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

The infotainment system is one of the best in the business, has been for awhile. Maybe it's not the flashiest anymore, but it's easy to use and stable, which is far more than can be said for most other car manufacturers. It's one of the reasons I stick with Jeep

The 3.6L V6 is plenty. If you want more oomph, wait around and get a diesel. Personally, I prefer the V8, but I had no issues with either of the 3.6L's I had either. The 8 speed transmission was Gods gift to that engine, because the 5 and 6 speeds were garbage. Gas mileage wasn't bad either for a heavy SUV, I was getting mid 20's in mine and I have a lead foot. Even with my 5.7L I can get 25 out on the highway. You're not buying a Jeep for fuel efficiency.

The rest of the features are standard Wrangler features. Removable top, drains in the cabin, off road/bad weather capability, that sort. Yeah they're expensive, but they hold their value well too. Jeep isn't stupid, it's the epitome of "I know what I have!". There's very little real competition.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:39 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,376,424 times
Tight trails will be a challenge, because the break over angle isn’t as good as the wrangler, and the engine is anemic for towing if you live at in cold high altitude climates like Wyoming. But the pentastar is a rather reliable motor. I think most Powertrain bugs should have been fixed. But FCA’s electronics can do weird things. The only thing that concerns me is the price, because a mid trim version at suburban Jeep is $ 48 K , and the gladiator is not eligible for the jeep upgrade program. If you have a FCA family member, you may be able to score a discount.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:39 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
Lack of power seats and telescopic steering wheel as deal breakers show how far the Jeep clientele has come.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:42 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The direct competition is the Tacoma TRD Pro. Watch some youtube videos.
I know a guy that just went from a Tacoma Crew Cab TRD to a Gladiator. He is still in the love it phase, the Toyota was his daily driver for 10+ years.

Bed size is about the same on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram