Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 09:40 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times

Advertisements

For the first time in Chrysler's nearly century-long history, their parent company has no "Chrysler" in the name. From Chrysler Corp. to DaimlerChrysler to just Chrysler again to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), they've always had Chrysler in the name. But on January 16, 2021, they became Stellantis US after a merger with Peugeot/Citroen.

I'm wondering a few things. First is the loss of "Chrysler" from the parent company's name. Of Stellantis US's four brands, Chrysler is by far the weakest. They sell the 300 full-size sedan and Pacifica minivan.

The 300 is largely the same as the Dodge Charger, a name with more brand equity. And why is the van sold as a Chrysler? If we look at the history of the Chrysler-built minivans, it was the Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan that always was the highest seller. The Chrysler Town and Country came along six years after the original vans - the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager - and always sold in small numbers compared to the Dodge model.

Frankly, they should just can the 300 and call the minivan a Dodge.

But, I don't even know if Dodge will be around decades from now. It could be, has a lot better shot than the Chrysler name, but I'm seeing similarities to the AMC buyout in 1987. Back then, AMC had a flagging car division. They had replaced all their cars with Renaults, but still, flagging car division. They had a booming light truck division, Jeep. Chrysler buys them out, calls it the Jeep/Eagle division, halfheartedly supports Eagle for about a decade before canceling it, meanwhile putting billions of dollars into Jeep which continues to grow and becomes a cash cow for Chrysler.

Could this happen again? We have a similar circumstance now; a flagging car division (Chrysler/Dodge), and a light truck division (Jeep/RAM) that prints money. It seems possible that Stellantis drops Chrysler AND Dodge years down the line, really only interested in the lucrative Jeep and RAM divisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 06:19 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
For the first time in Chrysler's nearly century-long history, their parent company has no "Chrysler" in the name. From Chrysler Corp. to DaimlerChrysler to just Chrysler again to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), they've always had Chrysler in the name. But on January 16, 2021, they became Stellantis US after a merger with Peugeot/Citroen.

I'm wondering a few things. First is the loss of "Chrysler" from the parent company's name. Of Stellantis US's four brands, Chrysler is by far the weakest. They sell the 300 full-size sedan and Pacifica minivan.

The 300 is largely the same as the Dodge Charger, a name with more brand equity. And why is the van sold as a Chrysler? If we look at the history of the Chrysler-built minivans, it was the Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan that always was the highest seller. The Chrysler Town and Country came along six years after the original vans - the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager - and always sold in small numbers compared to the Dodge model.

Frankly, they should just can the 300 and call the minivan a Dodge.

But, I don't even know if Dodge will be around decades from now. It could be, has a lot better shot than the Chrysler name, but I'm seeing similarities to the AMC buyout in 1987. Back then, AMC had a flagging car division. They had replaced all their cars with Renaults, but still, flagging car division. They had a booming light truck division, Jeep. Chrysler buys them out, calls it the Jeep/Eagle division, halfheartedly supports Eagle for about a decade before canceling it, meanwhile putting billions of dollars into Jeep which continues to grow and becomes a cash cow for Chrysler.

Could this happen again? We have a similar circumstance now; a flagging car division (Chrysler/Dodge), and a light truck division (Jeep/RAM) that prints money. It seems possible that Stellantis drops Chrysler AND Dodge years down the line, really only interested in the lucrative Jeep and RAM divisions.
I can see them dropping the Chrysler name and leaving Dodge with the Pacifica, Charger and Challenger. The Pacifica isn't all that bad, but the Challenger/Charger print their own money around here too - you see a few of the base models new, and a fair number of older ones...but by and large, what I see running around here are the RT's, Scat Packs and Hellcats. Guys around here with money want a beefy car with 4 doors and that's what you get. Neither Ford or Chevy make anything close, and no one makes anything in the price range you can get a Scat Pack for.

I've told my wife already - if I'm ever in a spot where I don't need my Jeep to get into work when there's 10" of snow on 95, I' buying a Charger Scat Pack. Might get it as a third car, but don't want it right now. 485 horses in a car I can still put a car seat in, I'm all for it. They're pretty comfortable too.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:38 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
New Stellantis CEO says Chrysler is here to stay.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ns-stellantis/

Old 02-12-2021, 04:04 PM

117 posts, read 76,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
New Stellantis CEO says Chrysler is here to stay.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ns-stellantis/

I drive a Jeep and had to get my car serviced. The dealership did not say they were an FCA dealership this time around or a "Stellantis" dealership. They said they were a "MOPAR" dealership. Even had information on my vehicle on file because it originated from what I referred to as an FCA factory and the person said "NO Fiat-Chrysler merged with another company that owns Alfa Romeo and a few other brands so now dealerships are MOPAR dealerships."

Old 02-25-2021, 12:47 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
I drive a Jeep and had to get my car serviced. The dealership did not say they were an FCA dealership this time around or a "Stellantis" dealership. They said they were a "MOPAR" dealership. Even had information on my vehicle on file because it originated from what I referred to as an FCA factory and the person said "NO Fiat-Chrysler merged with another company that owns Alfa Romeo and a few other brands so now dealerships are MOPAR dealerships."
The idiots will spend a small fortune on signs.

When Chrysler purchased AMC. All of the AMC signs had to go and pay for Eagle signs. And what happened to the Eagle Brand? That's gone too.

The Dodge truck name is gone. Now called RAM.

Stellantis may keep some of the North American names and just dump some Eastern European made vehicles and put the word Dodge or Chrysler on them.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The idiots will spend a small fortune on signs.

When Chrysler purchased AMC. All of the AMC signs had to go and pay for Eagle signs. And what happened to the Eagle Brand? That's gone too.

The Dodge truck name is gone. Now called RAM.

Stellantis may keep some of the North American names and just dump some Eastern European made vehicles and put the word Dodge or Chrysler on them.
There's actually historical precedent there. In its final years, AMC barely existed, only selling the Eagle proto-CUV. When Chrysler bought out AMC, they renamed the car division Eagle - which became mostly a hollowed-out marketing division for Mitsubishi-designed vehicles. They did have the Vision (a variant of the Chrysler LH car) and a couple of Renault-based models in their first few years, but everything else Eagle ever made was M'bishi-based.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:36 AM

Apparently they are doing pretty good the UAW rank and file workers will receive a profit shareing check for over $8,000.

Stellantis CEO says 4th largest carmaker to be disruptive
https://www.clickondetroit.com/busin...before-merger/

Last edited by easy62; 03-04-2021 at 05:47 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 04:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I was considering a Grand Cherokee as my next vehicle but this corporate change plus the likely name change gives me pause.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I was considering a Grand Cherokee as my next vehicle but this corporate change plus the likely name change gives me pause.
Seen this new Jeep prototype at a restaurant by Stellantis FCA world HQ, they try to camouflage them when taking out for testing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F3735229-0E88-498C-BFEB-FDA3118A37E8.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	227900

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8E7B187-B6BF-45A0-9ECC-8F4B6F93A4E5.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	227901

Old 03-06-2021, 02:08 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Seen this new Jeep prototype at a restaurant by Stellantis FCA world HQ, they try to camouflage them when taking out for testing.

Attachment 227900

Attachment 227901
Looks like the Grand Wagoneer.

Wonder why they’re camo’d. It was revealed publicly a decent while ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram