Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 01:47 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times

Advertisements

I've got something going on with my engine having ticking noises and I'm hearing that it's an expensive fix.

I'm hearing terms like failing rocker arms, cam shaft, you name it. Sounds like dooms day is ahead from listening to the mechanic. Supposedly the longer I wait, the more expensive to fix. $2000-2500 is the best estimate for fixing right now.

It has 95500 miles on it and I was hoping it would be covered under warranty, but apparently the power train warranty is 5 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and I've had it for 7 years. I haven't been to the Jeep dealer yet. Not sure I want to complain too much as I knew something like this was inevitable over time.

I just started hearing this noise about 2 weeks ago.

Any thoughts on how long something like this takes to get any worse or do some major damage?

Anyone have experience with this kind of major repair?

I asked the mechanic about the time frame and of course they didn't want to say. I have no ideal if we're talking about needing to fix within 30 days or more like I have 6 months. I put approximately 1000 miles/month on it.

Any comments appreciated.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I've got thoughts of trading it in real quick. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 02:12 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
You need a second opinion. A better opinion.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You need a second opinion. A better opinion.
I will definitely get another opinion. But this is a place I trust. I've had good experiences with them.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:40 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
If it has the 3.6L Pentastar, there was a big issue with the left bank cylinder head on some of the early ones, I can't remember if the 2015 was included. My 2014 had zero problems. You can get a second opinion, but if that's the issue, there's no band-aid for it. If it's the rocker arms, it can be labor intensive and will eventually screw things up. The longer you wait, the more it costs in the long run.

If it's the 5.7, you have the Hemi Tick. My 2016 and 2020 both had a light tick for a minute after starting then it went away. Could be nothing, could be expensive. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Dealers suck in many ways, but finding a good service dept is like finding gold - and if they screw it up worse, they're on the hook for it. I like my service dept. and won't take my Jeeps anywhere else.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:49 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
If it's the 'Hemi', I've heard that there are instances where exhaust manifold bolts, of inferior quality, were installed on the engines, and are known to fail (break off). This, in turn, causes an exhaust leak at the cylinder head/exhaust manifold interface.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:57 PM

Just thought I would provide an update to this.

It was minor in nature, just the rocker arms or lifters only. Again, not sure if I'm using the right terms. No cam shaft damage or other major damage. Apparently I caught it before any major damage. Repair was @ $900.

I had forgotten that I knew someone pretty good at the Jeep dealership, so it was actually fixed at the dealer. When I explained to him what others had told me, he was able to speak in a language I could follow and he felt like it was minor in nature. If you can call $900 minor. LOL.

FYI.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:01 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
If you can call $900 minor. LOL.

FYI.
Labor. Parts aren't cheap either, but going rate around here is $100+ an hour. Even indy shops are expensive. The Pentastar isn't the worst to work on, but the Hemi is stuffed into the engine bay with hardly enough room to get a hand in places.

I used to do my own work on my 2001 Cherokee with the 4.0L. Once I started buying Grands, nope. I didn't even change the oil myself on the V6's. The two V8 Grands I've had? Forget it. I pop the hood every so often to make sure nothings leaking, nothings stuck in there, etc. That's it.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:02 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
.......but the Hemi is stuffed into the engine bay with hardly enough room to get a hand in places.

The two V8 Grands I've had? Forget it. I pop the hood every so often to make sure nothings leaking, nothings stuck in there, etc. That's it.
You can say THAT again!! I've been working on my own rides for a little over 50 years, and thought that my '96 Z-28 was tough to work on, until I bought my Hemi powered '15 GC. I don't like my cars having "marginal", or "known to fail" parts in it, and as I mentioned in a previous post, it appears that the Hemis have questionable exhaust manifold retaining bolts.

Under "normal" circumstances, I'd have replaced them, by now, but considering the limited work room, therefore the potential to "back myself into a corner", if something goes wrong, I'm just going to ride it out, and hope I'm one of the lucky ones, whose bolts manage to survive intact.

If not, I'll defer it to the dealer, as they hopefully have some experience with it, and I've also got the Maxcare Warranty, to help.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:18 AM

I had a 2011 Grand with a HEMI and I must say I really miss the power. But in 2015 I traded into the V6. I've often wondered if I should have gotten another HEMI, rather than "settling" for the V6. But the comments you guys are making make it sound like I'm better to have went to the V6.

The V6 really has enough power for me. I guess as you get older, you don't need as much power. LOL.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:22 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
I'd consider $900 cheap as far as car repairs go. The Pentastar is a decent motor, I've had 2 vehicles with it, a 2011 Charger and a 2016 Wrangler, I'm of the age where I'm not concerned with more power than I need. I now own a 2011 Dakota with the 3.7 V6 & it does fine, however the 3.0 V6 02 Ranger that I just got rid of was agonizingly slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram