Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Dee View Post
Whomever thinks that people from other states do not wish to live in Cincinnati or even Ohio is wrong! I am born and raised in Miami, Florida; and, I would trade where I live with an Ohioan any time!

I come to Cincinnati some years to visit my relatives, who still live there;
and I love it! I love it that no matter what direction you go in for about 20 minutes you are in the woods! Down here the place is so spread out that you have to travel 60-75 miles to get away from the concrete! I love it that
people say hello to you. In Miami you might get the finger as an acknowledgement! I love it that most people speak English! I love it that
there are lots of German Restaurants!

My dad was born and raised in Cincy; and, his youngest sister and my
cousins still live here! My mom was born in WV but my cousins from her family also live in Cincy. I am seriously thinking about moving up this way
when I retire; but, I believe I will probably settle in Charleston WV because
it is cheaper and less populated. However, while living closer, I will spend much more time in Cincy, too......I look forward to it with great anticipation!

Sunny Dee,
Miami
yeah i see where youre coming from but try living here for too long and you'll realize there is absolutely nothing happening here. cincinnati is sooo far behind other places when it comes to just about everything. but if hanging out in the woods is what youre into to then it should fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 PM

21 posts, read 112,382 times
Default Try Landen

I see a few people have mentioned Mason, OH. If you look a little to the East of Mason you will find a community called Landen. It has excellent schools (Kings Local School District). It has a system of walking trails that go around a small lake. It is close to all the shopping and dinning that Mason has to offer without the traffic and taxes. It is located near King's Island Ammusment park. In fact by using that exit (Western Row Rd.) off of I-71, you avoid the congestion of the Fields-Ertle exit. You can hop on the interstate and be downtown in 30-40 minutes. And you can get a great house for your money.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
Default cincy compared to DC

That is a ridiculous comparison to make. Cincy is a regional city and DC is the capital of our country. Why would you even think they could compare?

Old 12-08-2007, 04:16 PM

156 posts, read 631,290 times
Thumbs up Cincinnati, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
I currently live in ATL but I may have a job offer in Cincy coming soon.

Never thought I would ever live in OH, so any information would be appreciated like cost of living, crime, real estate, schools, etc, etc.

Thanks!
Go with the Kentucky side of cincy... the more you move out into suburbs like lebanon (sp?), kings, mason, etc., the more its like nowhere ohio and you lose the quaint southern midwestern mix of culture we love here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2live View Post
I have lived in TN, TX, KY and loved all of them. Cincinnati is a pit and has nothing to offer. Rethink your thoughts of moving here. I don't know anyone from another state who likes Cincinnati or Ohio for that matter!
What if you live in KY AND in Cincy????? Cincy has nothing to do with the rest of the state CHIEF.

Get er done, move up here and get back to the simple life.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,106 times
Default I hate to Say it...

I hate to say it, but I would advise you NOT to accept the job here unless it is just for a short period of time and as a stepping stone for a much better opportunity.

Crime and housing are not really issues; the weather is lousy, the economy is lousy. There are few managerial opportunities, as local companies are gobbled up by larger national concerns and the big time jobs are relocated elsewhere (Central Trust Bank (PNC), Provident Bank (National City), Kahns Meats (Sara Lee), First National Bank (US Bank), Cinergy (Duke Energy), etc., etc, etc.).

As for recreational activities, Cincinnati is off the beaten track. It simply does not attract the caliber of activities that other cities (e.g. Atlanta) does.

As the saying goes, the best thing you can say for Cincinnati, is it is a great place to be from (e.g. Steven Spielberg, Doris Day, Ted Turner, Charlie Manson, etc.)

Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
The weather is fine - typical midwestern. No, its not CA, or AZ -- but *DUH* this is Ohio. Its pretty southern, so the snow isn't near as bad as North (MI, or even N. Ohio) - but there is some freezing rain.

The Crime is what one would expect for this type of city (size, economic base, etc..)

Recreationally, I don't know what these people want... there are clubs (jazz/rock/you name it) in the city, there are plenty of natural areas to enjoy (not so much rock climbing or skiing), there are movie theatres aplenty, national sporting events, choirs, orchestras, and off-broadway theatre.

I will say that sometimes I think the area is a little "slower" than the rest of the country ... some of the issues they are dealing with (as a region) are things that we dealt with about 25 years ago in the Detroit Metropolitan area (not that we dealt with them well, just that we dealt with them).. but, that doesn't bother me all that much.

Cost of living is pretty good. And there are a suprising number of large corporations headquartered here (Lexis Nexis outside of Dayton, Macy's in Cinci, Kroger, etc..)

It isn't perfect, I won't pretend that it is, but it's not that terrible either. Of course if you're looking for the weather of Florida, and the night life of New York or LA - then this isn't the place. But as far as decent midwestern cities to live a life.. its pretty good.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati