Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 PM

243 posts, read 887,116 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Cincy. Attended Hughes High School. My sister was punched in the face for absolutely no reason while changing classes in the hall. My brother was rolled EVERY day for his lunch money. I just learned to move out of the way of people when walking down the street. I was scared to death every day for fear of my life. You may not like it but believe me this is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH. MY friends tell me it has gotten worse. I have seen the national news stories about Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Tell me about these national news stories? Cincinnati is experiencing so much of a boom. Some of you probaly havent even been here in years. Some of these stories dont even sound truthful. Its weird how you can tell when some people are lying and just pushing the limit on what they say.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,850 times
Default Great Town

I just now joined this forum to state my opinion about Cincinnati because I have lived here for all of my 23 year old life. Cincinnati is a great place to live!!!! Those of you who don't believe this need to open your eyes and do some searching on what you can actually do in this wonderful city and do something productive and stop contributing to the city's problems. I grew up in the burbs (Loveland), and recently moved DOWNTOWN to experience all that the city has to offer. Of course there will be crime in a "big" city but I feel safe here walking by myself on the streets at night. It just takes common sense...... From ALL of the parks to the museums to all of the different musical outlets, there is always something going on EVERYDAY. Maybe other people don't see all of this because they are not as cultured or don't want to be as cultured as others. Jobs are booming and so is the economy, Cincy is a great place to move!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:51 PM

^Thank you so much, cincyrules. We needed someone like you in here. You are one of the lucky ones that have got to move to downtown Cincinnati. Its really booming down here isnt it? We are experiencing a new condo boom. If you dont mind me asking where you live in downtown Cincinnati? We are really building some nice condo units along the river right next to the Columbia Parkway. Cincinnati is experiencing not only a growth in is metro population, but in its city population as well. Cincinnati is one of the fastest growing metros in the Midwest and NE, and we have one of the fastest growing job markets in the country. Cincinnati truly is a great place to live.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Thumbs up New Guy Weighing In...

First of all, let me say that this is my second tour of duty in SW Ohio (lived here once before from 04/98 to 05/99)...also, let the record show that I am a 50-something black male living in Middletown (Butler County between Cinti and Dayton)...now, having said that, let me say this---Cincinnati gets an undeserved BAD RAP in quite a few corners...I'm originally from Cleveland, but I love SW Ohio...

The quality of life here is great, the cost of living will not kill you before your time, and there is an abundance of things to do in the area, with great shopping/restaurants/natural beauty/affordable housing for those who are earnest in their efforts to find it!

You want nightlife? There are a lot of good bars/clubs in the area, even though I am not by nature a 'nitelife' kinda person (my sweetie is working on that, but some of us old leopards have difficulty changing our spots LOL)...I myself love to read, and there are a number of chain bookstores (Borders, Barnes and Noble) as well as Joseph-Beth in Hyde Park/Oakley/Norwood...I do wish this area had a smooth jazz station, though 106.5 in Dayton carries the banner proudly, their spotty signal south of Dayton notwithstanding...

Is the area sorta conservative? Yep, it is to an extent, but that should not hinder those who are in search of a good place to live...excuse me for exhuming a rather worn cliche', but there are good and bad areas EVERYWHERE, and it is the responsibility of the individual to live thier lives and make the best of the situations and areas they choose to be in...and after all this time, the Cincinnati skyline at night STILL takes my breath away

Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM

63 posts, read 280,229 times
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth, with my husband and I having lived in the Cincinnati area (Clermont county) since '79. I was from eastern Ohio....he moved from the Detroit 'burbs. There are so many different opinions on Cincy because it's all a matter of perspective. What are you comparing the city to? We've been here long enough to compare the city to what it was 20+ years ago. Crime has increased dramatically. We used to frequently go into Cincinnati for entertainment, and we felt safe in doing so. Rarely do we now....it's not worth the risk. The growth people speak of is in the counties surrounding Cincinnati, and it's most often in the form of yet another ugly strip mall and malignant subdivision. Can you tell I'm fed up with the rate of growth and what's happened to our once rural area? <g>

Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM

^ I agree 110% on the growth. As an urban planner we hate to see that. Its called sparwl and its just more signs of how this nation is falling apart. It shows growth, but not in a good way. Cincinnati is growing though. Its not just the sorrounding suburbs and counties. Cincinnati experienced a large increase in the city population. The city just challenged the official numbers, and with all the new development going on downtown and in the city those numbers are more true now.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,788 times
i have lived in cincy for 41 one years. we do have a high crime problem right now,but our hamilton county procuter is coming down on the crime.stay out of the city of cincinnati and look at the burbs. Mason,lebonnon,Mariemont,Maderia have great schools,close to the city and low crime.Cincinnati has a great shopping center Kenwood Towne center that has some of the best shopping,food around.west chester is also busting out of the seems. Cincinnati is also home to some of the best physicians in the country. The Univeristy of Cincinnati has one of the best trauma and burn units in the country.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:32 PM

^ Not to mention the University of Cincinnati is the best urban development school in the nation. I wish i would have went there.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,882 times
Default Check out Northern KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
I currently live in ATL but I may have a job offer in Cincy coming soon.

Never thought I would ever live in OH, so any information would be appreciated like cost of living, crime, real estate, schools, etc, etc.

Thanks!
Minutes away , you will find real estate at a better bargain than Cincinnati. You will have more bang for your buck. Check out Fort Mitchell, Erlanger, Fort Wright, Fort Thomas, Union, Hebron. Boone, Kenton and Campbell Counties offer some great housing, parks and great places to raise a family.
As far as residing in Cincy, you have Mason, West Chester, Hyde Park, Mount Lookout as some great places north of downtown. I think you will be happy with either side of the Ohio. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati