Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 10,759 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Cincy. What I remember most about the dialect, is that Cincinnatians don't say Cincinnati, Ohio, they say Cincinnata, Ahia. Weird, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549a View Post
I grew up in Cincy. What I remember most about the dialect, is that Cincinnatians don't say Cincinnati, Ohio, they say Cincinnata, Ahia. Weird, but true.
Ahia is more of how people in bordering states say it. Pittsburgh people say Ahia, and Kentucky people say Ahia. Many Ohio natives know the name of their own state.

However the whole "Cincinnatuh" thing most likely comes from Cincinnatus.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 AM

183 posts, read 197,030 times
It is also primarily only a thing among people 50+. I'm 28 and I've never heard anyone under that age demographic pronounce Cincinnati that way.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 PM

Apparently the Cincinnati accent has its roots in the Mid-Atlantic. It is the only Midwest accent that follows a New York City/Philadelphia short a pronunciation system where a word like map has a separate vowel sound from a word like mad. Cincinnati has its closest cousin to this in the New York accent.

It also has its long O pronunciation similar to the Mid-Atlantic and the South (similar to a West and South England pronunciation). Accents in England such as Bristol, Cornwall, London, Sussex, Liverpool, and Received Pronunciation also have this long O sound. In the US, this gives off a very "country" like sound associated with the South. But it also heard as far North as Central Jersey and in the majority of the Lower Midwest.

Cincinnati then exemplifies a blend of Northern and Southern pronunciation but without a drawl so it is never grouped with Southern accents for this reason. Its nasal pronunciation of the short a is also a Northern trait that to many Southerners gives Cincinnati a very "Yankee" sound.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Everyone south of Cleveland (columbus, Cincinnati) sound very different to me. Southern, drawl, country sounding, but definitely different.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Everyone south of Cleveland (columbus, Cincinnati) sound very different to me. Southern, drawl, country sounding, but definitely different.
Yeah but only Cleveland has the Inland North dialect whereas the rest of Ohio speaks in the Midland/General American variety. Your sound is more nasal and associated with the Great Lakes/inner Northeast.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM

113 posts, read 276,274 times
My take has always been, it depends on who you talk to. Being from MN/WI, you can really hear an accent with some people, and others sound midwestern to us. I always assumed it was more the people from Kentucky that had that southern sounding accent. We definitely got called out a lot for our accent when we moved here!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetzvino View Post
My take has always been, it depends on who you talk to. Being from MN/WI, you can really hear an accent with some people, and others sound midwestern to us. I always assumed it was more the people from Kentucky that had that southern sounding accent. We definitely got called out a lot for our accent when we moved here!
Minnesotans and Wisconsinites think their accent is the standard Midwest accent which is funny because it doesn't even cover all of their own states.

The Cincinnati accent is closer to being "neutral" than anything in Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Also what does Kentucky have to do with anything? Cincinnati borders Kentucky but they don't need to have Kentucky accents and they don't. They have accents that are typical of Ohio rather than Kentucky. Actually the Cincinnati accent manages to make its way into Northern Kentucky and not the other way around. If you ever go to Northern Kentucky it is a different world than the rest of Kentucky. It definitely leans Midwest rather than South.

But the rest of Kentucky does speak in Southern drawls.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
I was born and raised in Cincinnati, OH. I've been in the Air Force for 22 years. I've never heard anyone call Cincinnati- "Cincinnata"! If they have, they are definitely NOT from there. All i've ever heard is that I have that nasally drawl and sound exactly like Edie Falco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati