Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times

Advertisements

Do you have any examples of words with "r" in them and could you explain how each side of town says it? Now that you brought it up, I am wondering what my r's sound like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 144,660 times
Absolutley, I will when I speak to one of my family members in the next couple of days, I will get a great example that is fresh in my mind to explain it. I know I am not explaining it right, but I think it will make sense.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM

9 posts, read 35,032 times
At least you guys incorporate the letter "r" into your speech. Lol. My non rhotic speech is not as bad as those in eastern Massachusetts, but I always notice just how bad it is whenever I go to Chicago. Whenever I travel, I always have to force myself to speak flat and standard english. I try to suppress my accent, but whenever I get excited or mad, it always come out in full force. I sort of envy those with a "Great Lakes" accent because they can pretty much travel anywhere without someone asking or wondering where they are from.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 66,010 times
Saying 'please' instead of "I beg your pardon", etc simply means, "repeat what you said". If it's used in a question form.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie-NH View Post
My non rhotic speech is not as bad as those in eastern Massachusetts,
I love the Boston accent. A long time ago I was up there and I swear there was an advertisement for Star Markets that just killed me. It went something like, "Get in the cah, we're going to Stah Mahket!"

Old 08-12-2010, 02:22 PM

9 posts, read 35,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vashtiesther View Post
Saying 'please' instead of "I beg your pardon", etc simply means, "repeat what you said". If it's used in a question form.
So you're saying someone will say 'please' if they do not hear or understand what someone said? Is this a midwest thing, Ohio thing, Cincinnati or what?

I guess it sounds better than saying 'what,' which is what most people say around here. You'll hear a few people say 'I'm sorry' or 'say again' if they don't hear you, but most people just say plain ol' 'what.' I never really knew saying 'what' was considered rude by some until I got a little bit older and traveled outside of the northeast.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:53 PM

21 posts, read 144,660 times
I can only speak for Cincinnati, but "please" is a word that is generally used instead of "what" or "say again". I am 24 and some of my peers still use it, frequently. I know its really big with older folks, and unfortuntaley it seems to be dying off in my generation. It is a little formal, but if you have used it your entire life, its common place. I am not sure the rest of Ohio.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,558 times
^
I think it is more widely used around here than anywhere else. If my memory serves me right, it comes from the German settlers who often used, "bitte" (German for please) in the same manner.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 PM

269 posts, read 778,791 times
The whole 'please' thing threw me for a loop the first time I heard it. I was used to hearing someone yell 'what' like they are deaf or something when they don't hear you. When the lady at the convenience store said 'please' to me, I almost misinterpreted as some sort of subtle rudeness. I usually only hear older folks say it.

Last edited by high mileage; 08-12-2010 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: please not what

Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
The whole 'please' thing threw me for a loop the first time I heard it. I was used to hearing someone yell 'what' like they are deaf or something when they don't hear you. When the lady at the convenience store said 'what' to me, I almost misinterpreted as some sort of subtle rudeness. I usually only hear older folks say it.
Adapt and join us! Say "please!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati