U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,076,558 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of areas of Madisonville where I would feel perfectly comfortable living. It has loads of potential and I think it is Cincinnati's next neighborhood in line for a major revival.

Of course, since this thread is almost five years old, I highly doubt the OP is still seeking advice on this matter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM

4,007 posts, read 5,381,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Of course, since this thread is almost five years old, I highly doubt the OP is still seeking advice on this matter.
Who in tha what n what! How do these ancient threads come back to life. Anywho.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM

405 posts, read 820,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
There are plenty of areas of Madisonville where I would feel perfectly comfortable living. It has loads of potential and I think it is Cincinnati's next neighborhood in line for a major revival.

True. Really makes one curious what happens to all these people who post these interesting topics then never follow up

Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,164,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Who in tha what n what! How do these ancient threads come back to life. Anywho.
I think what happens is, people will come to city-data, do a search, and find threads that talked about the topic they were searching for...they dont bother to look at the dates and they respond, which revives the thread.

It's kind of funny, because the city-data mods like to tell people to "do a search" to get an answer, instead of creating a new thread (I know that this helps city-data to save on hard drive space and bandwidth), but then, when they do that, and they revive an old thread, the mods then get mad that an old thread has been revived.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:42 AM

4,841 posts, read 12,461,561 times
...and it's for the best, 'cause some topics never get old. All the more easy for a lurker or newbie to track the subject matter without launching a new thread of their own. Why more folks can't do that instead of starting the umpteenth "new in town, want good schools" discussion I'll never know.

"Next neighborhood in line for a major revival" cracks me up. Where have I heard that most recently? I dunno...was it something about Westwood? No, wait, it might have been College Hill. Perhaps Hartwell. Maybe one of my rambles when I lead the cheers for Roselawn (usually to silence. ) Then again, it could have been the East End, Camp Washington, or Price Hill - excuse me, "Incline District" for the latter. QUITE likely it was one of many about Over-the-Rhine. Pleasant Ridge? Mt Auburn? Northside? Walnut Hills? And there's always that lone advocate for Fairmount.

When friends from way back bought a house a few blocks south of McMillan St, just off (West) Clifton Ave, in the late '70s they were excited about the possibilities. "This neighborhood is ready to take off!" Last year the husband - now widowed - relocated to Clifton Gaslight and his kids were "SO glad he's outta there." Yet there are still those who list the pluses of the area and are convinced that's it's "ready to take off."

I think unrealistic optimism about sketchy communities' turning around is a Cincinnati pastime right up there with arguing about which chili-parlor chain is the best! But who am I to judge, since I go right along with engaging in it?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 15,091,209 times
Talking about chili, I would like to get a 5-way from my favorite, Blue Ash Chili. But sitting here I have to remember they are closed on Sundays! In this day and age I find that unbelievable, but yes I cannot get a 5-way or one of their glorious ham&beef doubledeckers on Sunday. But in honor of their closed on Sunday position, I refuse to go to Skyline or Gold Star.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 AM

10,135 posts, read 25,322,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Talking about chili, I would like to get a 5-way from my favorite, Blue Ash Chili. But sitting here I have to remember they are closed on Sundays! In this day and age I find that unbelievable, but yes I cannot get a 5-way or one of their glorious ham&beef doubledeckers on Sunday. But in honor of their closed on Sunday position, I refuse to go to Skyline or Gold Star.

I made my favorite chili yesterday and am letting it steep in the fridge until today. Stew meat from the butcher, carefully trimmed, diced, and browned in EVOO, two very large onions chopped and sweated with the meat, one can jalapenos, one can diced green chilis, one can crushed tomato, one can kidney beans, one tablespoon diced garlic (prepared from jar), and one packet of Carroll Shelby chili season mix. Four cups water, salt to taste and simmer for four hours.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I made my favorite chili yesterday and am letting it steep in the fridge until today. Stew meat from the butcher, carefully trimmed, diced, and browned in EVOO, two very large onions chopped and sweated with the meat, one can jalapenos, one can diced green chilis, one can crushed tomato, one can kidney beans, one tablespoon diced garlic (prepared from jar), and one packet of Carroll Shelby chili season mix. Four cups water, salt to taste and simmer for four hours.
Sounds absolutely fantastic. As much as I like Cincinnati style chili over spaghetti and coneys, I also like the southwest style, and yours sounds great. Do you put any cheese on it? I am a cheese lover so I have to put it on about anything. On southwest style chili I like Monterey Jack.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,903,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
"Next neighborhood in line for a major revival" cracks me up.
Ten years ago people were saying the same thing about Oakley, and sure enough that area has really blossomed lately. Madisonville is next in line along the Madison Rd. corridor, and the western edge of Madisonville has seen more development (Medpace, etc.) in the past three years or so than the entire two decades of the 80s and 90s. I am not convinced that Madisonville is ready to take off, but I can definitely envision quite a few ways that it could. While much of the housing stock is aging, Madisonville sits between Mariemont, Indian Hill, Kenwood, Madeira, Fairfax, Oakley, and Hyde Park, along with Columbia township. New development could possibly come from many different directions.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM

Wilson513...

I use a recipe very similar to yours. The most significant difference is I find stew meat a little too variable, and I like my chili nice and lean. I find that Meijer rather consistently carries the old fashioned round steaks at a reasonable price. I will take a couple of them, 1/4-1/2 inch thick and throw them into the freezer to firm up. I find I can then take my cleaver and cut them into nice about 1/4 cubes. Then the same process, brown them with the diced onions and throw them in the pot with the rest of the ingredients. I have used Carrol Shelby's mix, but also like one called Texas 3-Alarm. They make a 5-Alarm but it is not found locally.

Another dish I also like out of the same round steak is swiss steak. I cook it in the oven in a plastic cooking bag which I find holds the moisture much better. I will use a prepared swiss steak spice packet, but I usually add more tomato than they call for plus some other things like garlic. I want plenty of tomato gravy to spoon over the mashed potatoes I serve with it. Great on a cold winter night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati