Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,083 times

Advertisements

I know it's your first house. But they're alot of other communities i would look into first before making that step that has decent houses before moving into madisonville. Fairfield, Forest Park, Colerain, North College Hill inner city parts of Cincinnati are very sketchy. Not saying don't move just look at options best alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times
Give it a rest. Sounds like to me you don't make it into the city limits that often.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 12,387 times
I found this thread through a Google search.
Does anyone here currently live in Madisonville? I ask because I looked at an amazing house Sunday but after looking up the crime map I noticed 9 shootings in Madisonville in February! Is this pretty common for Madisonville? I'm from Northern KY so I'm not familiar with every neighborhood in Cincinnati.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,428 times
9 shootings? I didn't hear about any of them and Madisonville crime is way down from say 10 years ago.

http://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati

Last edited by unusualfire; 03-12-2012 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Madisonville, Cincinnati, OH Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

I used this link and the place looks like a war zone.
The house I like is the last one on the left before the corner on Whetsel and Bramble.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,279,271 times
Bramble and Whetsel is not the nicest part of Madisonville by any means, but it is significantly better than it was ten years ago. If you are concerned about crime, there are plenty of places in Madisonville that are a whole lot better and relatively inexpensive. I lived there until third grade or so and then again as a graduate student for two years and I still have quite a bit of family living there, so I know just about every street.

The problem with Bramble and Whetsel is that there is quite a bit of loitering on the street corner that is associated with the corner bar. If you go up the road on Bramble towards Plainville the neighborhood gets a lot nicer. My cousin has two young children and lives on Bramble on the other side of Plainville and his street is a nice family neighborhood.

Another nice area is south of Bramble on streets like Homer, Simpson, Arnsby, Islington, and Sherwood. Some of the houses on Arnsby in particular are truly stunning. I have an aunt and uncle on Islington and a cousin on Homer and a cousin on Arnsby. I told you I have a lot of family in the neighborhood.

I know some people on this forum disagree, but I feel like Madisonville is on the upswing. While the heart of Madisonville is still blighted, the fringes are bordering some thriving neighborhooods (Oakley, Mariemont, etc) and a lot of jobs are moving to the area (Medpace, assorted businesses on Red Bank corridor). While there are definitely some run-down streets, the decline really stabilized in the 80s and has been slowly reversed since 2000 or so.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
All I'm seeing from that link is domestic issues and disorderly conduct.

But either way, I'd stay away from that corner; you're better off looking toward either end of Bramble.

I haven't lived in Madisonville for seven years, but the last time I visited it didn't look like things had improved much in that area.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 AM

Thank you everyone for the input, I'm going to see if I can get some more info from the local police about that corner/area.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 AM

94 posts, read 239,197 times
I live on Bramble/Marietta. 7 shootings? I haven't heard of anything and was recently on the crime page looking for area crimes (I was bored). Most were domestic calls. Now, I do have an apartment building near my house that gives off a lot of noise (honking horns, parties in the summer time with lots of yelling, and the occasional fight). It's just one building & everyone else on the block is quiet, if not invisible. They leave us alone, and the neighborhood leaves them alone (accept maybe to call cops when they get really loud). Traffic is bad on Bramble & Plainville, as those streets are major arteries for Mariemont, Indian Hill, etc. Those two streets get used. I'd probably stay 2 blocks + from Whetsel. Although, in the last few years, I've seen a lot less rift raft there, and mainly just people hanging out.
I used to live on Plainville and still own my house there. One side of Plainville and back is Madison Place. In my opinion, that's the quieter part of town. My husband had bought our place on Bramble before we met, and while I love the house, that apartment building is annoying. Otherwise, I have great neighbors. The kind you can borrow eggs from. Madisonville is #1 in location in my opinion. I feel you can get everywhere in the city within 15 minutes, and most of east side hot spots within 10.
A lot of young DINKS live there. Although, I find most live there until they have kids, then they get out of dodge. Me, I'm brewing a kid, and have mixed feelings about staying/leaving. I love my house. You cannot get much nicer of house for under $120k. My neighbors are great. I love the Bramble Patch bar and all the locals that go there in the early evenings (it's not my thing late weekend nights, more singles come out and get pretty torn down). I love being able to drive to Hyde Park, Oakley (bars/restuarants), Anderson (family), downtown (work), etc. in less than 15 minutes.
I like walking to Mariemont for a beer and some music at the Dilly Deli.
I'd say my cons for the area are as follows: 1. street noise (cars+buses, loud stereos, honking) 2. apartment across the street noise 3. people throwing trash out their car windows 4. lack of mature trees/landscaped lawns

Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,950,659 times
Did I say it earlier on this thread? Madison Place. Decent. Cheap. A better bet than Madisonville itself IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati