U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 AM

22 posts, read 98,203 times

Advertisements

Rebutting some items in recent posts....I can't recall Ohio Bus Lines having a Cincinnati-Hamilton route. I spent many days at our family business on Vine Street in the Millcreek Valley and cannot remember Ohio Bus Lines going by. That's not to say it didn't take a more indirect route. The McDonalds at Andina (more like Anita Place) and Reading in Bond Hill existed before 1971. My reference point is my parents, who lived within walking distance of that McDonalds, moved from Bond Hill in 1970. I recall that McDonalds being there in the mid-60s. On Reading Road just north of Victory Parkway, that was Duff's Smorgasbord. Before that it was a Robert Hall clothing store that advertised extensively on TV with the slogan of "low overhead." They evenutally moved from there to a new location on the south side of Seymour Avenue, just west of Langdon Farm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 PM

309 posts, read 1,615,851 times
Default Smorgasteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran observer View Post
Rebutting some items in recent posts.... On Reading Road just north of Victory Parkway, that was Duff's Smorgasbord. Before that it was a Robert Hall clothing store that advertised extensively on TV with the slogan of "low overhead."
Duff's had more than one branch in Cincinnati. I'm pretty sure they
ran a buffet on Reading Road in Evendale, as well. The Evendale store may
or may not have occupied the same site as another buffet, circa 1974,
named Colonel's Inn.

The original name of the smorgasboard - circa 1966 - included the word
"Smorgasteria" (cf. jkgibb1's posting, et al.). Duff's would not have been
the original name.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Default MacDonald's and chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran observer View Post
The McDonalds at Andina (more like Anita Place) and Reading in Bond Hill existed before 1971. My reference point is my parents, who lived within walking distance of that McDonalds, moved from Bond Hill in 1970. I recall that McDonalds being there in the mid-60s.
I seem to recall its being about one-half block south of California, so Anita
Place seems right to me, as well. 1971 does sound rather late in the game -
that's when I recall a lot of MacDonald's going up all over town. Would
1967 be about right?

Somewhere just north or south of the corner with California, also on the
west side of Reading, was a Famous Recipe Fried Chicken ("worth crowing
about", as the ad went). They had a branch in Hartwell, just north of
Pfau. Both these stores appeared ca. late 1960's.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Default Chicken Restaurants in Bond Hill

I seem to recall a Famous Recipe Chicken a little further north on Reading Road, possibly on the old White Castle site or just north of that.

Back in the 1950s there was another chicken restaurant on the east side of Reading Road, just north of Andina, named Chicken Delight. Its advertising slogan was "Chicken Delight....Done Just Right." What was unusual about it was that it had delivery service. I can't recall seating in there...it may have been pick up or delivery only.

For years, the northeast corner of Reading and Andina was a vacant lot....probably big enough to be considered a double lot. Chicken Delight was the first business north of that lot (excluding the seasonal Christmas tree sales setup on the gravel parking area between the vacant lot and the building). Other businesses I recall occupying that spot were a produce stand that burned down called Crossroads market, a soft serve ice cream stand, a coin-operated laundry and Chili Time restaurant.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctheel View Post
Yes, I regret losing my baseball card collection. I remember standing in the playground at Bond Hill School and I had "last year's" cards and wanted to "flip" with some of the older boys (remember that game? heads you got the cards flipped, tails, you lost your card(s)). The boys refused to flip with anything other than the current year's cards saying the past cards were "worthless." They even gave me some of their cards from the prior year. Oh, little did we know!!!! that was the time when the players were not paid well, and a lot of them lived temporarily in Swifton Village. Wally Post lived in the building next to ours, and we always waited for him, but never saw him. When we knocked on his door, his wife answered and gave us glossy photos autographed by him. Yes, times have sure changed.

As for the popsicle truck, I don't remember the color. just great popsicles and treats. Ah, the good ol' days!
"The key to maintain a baseball card collection is an understanding mother."---Anon.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 AM

4,862 posts, read 12,897,075 times
Default Reading Rd corridor trivia unleashed

WOW, it's been a rush to read this thread. It's what got me to sign on to this forum.

There isn't much that I have to add beyond a few small facts and some minor corrections and confirmations.

It's funny that no one referred to the Fortune Kookie by its actual spelling. I wore out calling it the "Fortune Kooky" long before they closed, which was toward the end of the '90s. One of my treasured tchotchkes is an unopened pair of Fortune Kookie chopsticks.

One more spelling correction: the bowling alley near Swifton was "See-More." I guess the owners did that in case somebody couldn't pronounce "Seymour," lol.

Tom House did have a small dine-in area. It was through a doorway to your right when you were facing the front counter. Long after Bond Hill had "transitioned," they maintained a phenomenal volume of carry-out business. We'd enjoy a leisurely dinner, often as the only customers, and watch the parade of people picking up and paying for their bags of food to take home. One evening in the early spring of 1978, we rolled up on California Ave only to find the Tom House permanently closed. My parents gave a sad and knowing sigh, having been through this with Loretta's among other places. The owners ended up reopening Tom House as the Happy Garden (or was it Lucky Garden?) a couple of years later. They ran it until the mid-90s on Reading Rd in Roselawn, on the same side of the street as the Fortune Kookie. But we never tried out the new incarnation. To this day you can still score some decent "Chinese-American" eats in Bond Hill, at the Blue Gibbon on Tennessee Ave between Paddock and Reading Rd.

Security Amerkhanian is in the same location on Tennessee as always. They're not going anywhere soon, not with the sterling reputation they've built up over many years. Ditto for Porter Paints. Too bad that big orange sign for Porter has been downscaled. It used to be a cool landmark.

The proprietors of McIntosh's on Galbraith Rd didn't have a move across the street as part of their original business plan. But naturally they hadn't banked on having their building blown to bits. The June 1969 tornado which did a number on parts of Wyoming, Hartwell, and Reading made a meal out of 'em. (Play on words intended.) As it struck on a Saturday evening, some people were killed and I believe at least one of the casualties was there. Perhaps in part as a bid for disassociation, the proprietors rebuilt on the even-numbered side of Galbraith and partially renamed it: McIntosh's Steak & Kettle. They regained their clientele and seemed to be successful, but one day in the '80s it more or less vanished.

Friends who grew up on Westminster Dr in Paddock Hills were also able to watch Twin Drive-In movies from their house. But Lawn Ave did have a better and closer angle.

I was always psyched to hear the magic words, "Let's eat at the Upper Krust tonight." Neither the '69 tornado, nor a major fire a few years later, nor at least one robbery could keep Meir Ovadia from his deli. (At the end of its run it became known as Meir's Place.) Lord, were those sandwiches delicious. They were piled in proportions theretofore unseen except in "Blondie" when Dagwood got hungry, and were served with a great big slice of pickle. Every word on the menu which contained a hard "c" was spelled with a "k" instead of a "c" - "korned beef," et al. When Mr Ovadia finally threw in the towel to return to Israel, his Place became Sweeney's, a seafood restaurant which proved popular but is now no longer with us either.

Secondhand word has it that a Russian immigrant struck gold by opening a deli reminiscent of the Upper Krust next to the Valley Shopping Center. She called it the Yummie Yummie. Late in 2005 or 6, there was a blurb in the Enquirer's business section telling of her prosperous venture's doing so well that she was establishing a second location. That turned out to be spin; whatever happened, she bailed out of Roselawn when things got off the ground at the new place on Montgomery Rd in Landen. With the Upper Krust only a set of recollections, and Bilker's now gone too, I wish her the very best of luck.

Natorp's garden centers are still around in at least two locations. They were continuing to do well on Reading Rd opposite the Sugar n' Spice, but - surprisingly - had never owned the property. Their landlord, "a church" my dad said, decided to not offer them a lease renewal in 2004. Bye Natorp's. Nothing appears to be opening in their stead, but perhaps someday a house of worship will rise there.

That building about halfway up/down the long Reading Rd hill is indeed an armory. While perhaps not quite as prestigious an "address" as once would've been the case, the Belvedere is still faring nicely as a condo building, thank you very much. You can't put a price on the sweeping views from the upper floors, as anyone from Mt Adams or living in a Newport or Walnut Hills high-rise can attest. The down side is that you also can't put a price on safety and a viable commercial district. With even the Weil Funeral Home relocated, a park where a large pharmacy once stood (southeast corner of Clinton Springs and Reading Rd), and the entire block on the east side of Reading Rd south of Barry Lane now a vacant lot, viable that commercial district ain't. Is it safe around there, particularly after dark? I wouldn't bank on that. Everybody in those awesome houses on and around Rose Hill Ave had their illusion of immunity from crime shattered with the Bates murder. Hello, you may call it "North Avondale" but it's still Avondale.

Does no one besides me remember The Colony? It was in a free-standing building on the side of Swifton's parking acreage nearest the corner of Reading and Langdon Farm. The Comisars operated it. All I recall is that there was dark red wallpaper, and that there were little lamps on each of the tables. My folks termed it a "nice place to dine out," but oddly I have no clue as to what was on the menu now. Granted, I was a young child in its day, but I usually retain food memories. It was probably just a few weeks after the 1968 disturbances when The Colony closed. A Red Lobster later took over the building, but was there and gone within a short time frame. Not a trace of the building remains.

Beyond the city limits, I remember going to Peewee Valley for birthday parties only because I was told that that occurred. There's still putt-putt golf to be had once you reach Evendale.

Some fun name-dropping before I close this: none other than Donald Trump owned Swifton Village along with some relatives during the '60s. Uh huh! And, when Johnny Bench's parents decided to leave Oklahoma to move closer to him - and wanted to manage a business - he bought them Condon's Motel. It is/was on the east side of the street north of Glendale-Milford Rd.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Tornado and The Colony

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
There isn't much that I have to add beyond a few small facts and some minor corrections and confirmations.
Your "minor" corrections set the record straight on quite a few things,
in fact. You answer several outstanding questions that have persisted
since the earliest postings to the thread.

Quote:
The proprietors of McIntosh's on Galbraith Rd didn't have a move across the street as part of their original business plan. But naturally they hadn't banked on having their building blown to bits. The June 1969 tornado which did a number on parts of Wyoming, Hartwell, and Reading made a meal out of 'em. (Play on words intended.) As it struck on a Saturday evening, some people were killed and I believe at least one of the casualties was there. Perhaps in part as a bid for disassociation, the proprietors rebuilt on the even-numbered side of Galbraith and partially renamed it: McIntosh's Steak & Kettle. They regained their clientele and seemed to be successful, but one day in the '80s it more or less vanished.
My memory is that the tornado came through in early August, 1969. It
destroyed several buildings along a one-mile stretch of Galbraith extending
from about Reading west to Vine. McIntosh's and the adjacent photography
studio of Rob Paris were leveled. You and others have noted that the
Upper Krust was destroyed; shortly after the storm, one of the local papers
featured a shot of Meir Ovadia holding a sign reading "I shall return!"

In Hartwell, on the northeast corner of Galbraith and Woodbine, was an
old brick apartment building that also collapsed. A young mother and
at least one child was killed as a result. There were other deaths related
to the storm - in fact we knew someone who later died of injuries sustained
from flying glass while dining at the Upper Krust. I was not aware that
anyone at McIntosh's that night had died.

Thank you for narrowing down the time when McIntosh's II closed, as well
as its proper name. The new store didn't quite have the character of the
original place. The original was a coffee shop adjoined by a small dining
room and featured some distinctive offerings. The new version was a
sort of combination cocktail lounge and banquet hall - not quite the same
feel. My guess at the time was that the tornado gave them the
"opportunity" to try something more ambitious than a coffee shop.

Quote:
When Mr Ovadia finally threw in the towel to return to Israel, his Place became Sweeney's, a seafood restaurant which proved popular but is now no longer with us either.
Don't forget Al Morse's Ribs King restaurant, which stood at the site in the
mid-late 1970's.

Quote:
Does no one besides me remember The Colony? It was in a free-standing building on the side of Swifton's parking acreage nearest the corner of Reading and Langdon Farm. The Comisars operated it. All I recall is that there was dark red wallpaper, and that there were little lamps on each of the tables. My folks termed it a "nice place to dine out," but oddly I have no clue as to what was on the menu now. Granted, I was a young child in its day, but I usually retain food memories. It was probably just a few weeks after the 1968 disturbances when The Colony closed. A Red Lobster later took over the building, but was there and gone within a short time frame. Not a trace of the building remains.
Funny - it was actually a web search for references to The Colony that
inspired this thread. There is another thread in this forum, concerning
Swifton shopping center, in which The Colony has been mentioned a few
times. I posted a few things there and decided that a mind-dump was in
order, so started this thread. There are actually several threads now
which discuss the Bond Hill area, both mid-century and modern day. At
the risk of repeating points already raised in the Swifton thread:

The Swifton site of The Colony was replaced by a Chinese restaurant,
probably called the Dragon Inn. Several posters noted that the food was
more high-end, and I can recall having to dress up to eat there. There
was entertainment on some nights, probably on the lower level of the
restaurant. According to one recent poster, before moving to Swifton,
The Colony was located downtown.

You note that they were replaced by a Red Lobster. I can remember
a Red Lobster across Seymour from Swifton, but not in the shopping
center itself. That store probably opened in the early 1970's and I
would put the opening of the Dragon Inn somewhere around 1970.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Default The Hitching Post

Recent mention of The Upper Krust brings to mind the old
Hitching Post restaurant, located on or near that site. Given
that the Upper Krust opened around 1966, the Hitching Post -
if it did occupy that site - would have closed about that time.

There was a branch near Winton and North Bend, in Finneytown,
as well. I seem to remember fried chicken being one of their
specialties.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM

6 posts, read 28,706 times
I stumbled onto this website the other night. While I was talking to my brother who still lives in Cincinnati about our childhood days, I typed in the name of my elementary school, Swifton Primary, and landed here at the city forum. My walk down memory lane began BIG TIME, as my brother and I continued our conversation while I read some of the postings to him. We moved from Georgia to Cincinnati in 1958 and that winter was the first time I had ever seen snow!!! Swifton Village was our home until we moved into a house but still in the Bond Hill district. The swimming pool at Swifton was a favorite memory while living there. It was HUGE! Our building was pretty close to the pool, so it almost felt like it was MY pool...lol!! The chlorine water turned my redhair to a lime green, but iI sure learned how to swim 'like a fish', mom would say. It was such fun....the locker rooms, the snack bar, the sundeck, there was even a kiddie pool (which I didn't need since I was 7 yrs old and could swim!)
Mom worked for the Social Security Administration which was on the lower level of Swifton Shopping Center. The back windows of our apartment on Yorktown faced the center. One of the favorite stores was the toy store, of course. I desperately wanted a Chatty Cathy doll for Christmas when I was 8 yrs old. Mom and I would stop in there regularly just to look, but she had her favorite doll also. It was poor pitiful Pearl....a country pumkin' looking doll. Needless to say, there was a trick played on me that Christmas. Mom wrapped up Pearl and as I opened that box and showed such disappointment, my brother and mom had a good laugh! I cried like a spoiled brat, but found another box with my name on it and Chatty Cathy was in that one.
I first attended Carthage Elementary in the 2nd grade, but went to Swifton for 3rd, Bond Hill for 4,5,6, and then it was Woodward for 6 yrs. I had the choice to attend Walnut Hills, but decided to go to Woodward because my big brother was already there. By then, we had moved to Colonial Village apartments on Seymour Ave., so the daily walk thru the shopping center was truly an adventure. My choice in stores during my teen years changed from the record shop and clothing stores...Franklin Simon or Lerners.
I can ramble on and on, but I'll stop here for now. Some of us posting on here my actually know each other. As time goes on, maybe we'll reveal our identies..lol!!!
Let's see where this takes us..............thanks for the memories!

Last edited by hiyaleah; 02-28-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: spacing was wrong!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:23 PM

6 posts, read 28,706 times
HEY, I grew up in the Bond Hill, Swifton, and Roselawn areas, attended Carthage, Swifton, Bond Hill, and Woodward...graduated in 1969. jazzman mentioned Loveland and I was wondering what some of you might have to say about the Loveland Castle. That place was not your typical hangout, but it was sure someplace different to go on a date!!!! I have so much to say about 'the wonder years'.....this is like a reunion of sorts. wish i knew some of the names of people who are posting on here...MIGHT even know a few of you. marle101@yahoo.com is my email is some of you care to chat about 'life in the SWIFT lane'....lol!!!
thanks, m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati