U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 PM

22 posts, read 93,923 times

Advertisements

bwags as you already know me I do remember the track meets. We would have tryouts during gym and compete at Woodward with the other elementary schools that fed into Woodward. I went for kickball and ball throwing. Remember that Rex worked as the pool super at the JCC in the summer time. As my father and mother were real active in the JCC, Rex was close to my family. Thanks again for the yearbook. I was just back in Cincy last weekend and showed it to a few old friends and relations and everyone thought it was great. Jon says hello. I remember one time of visiting some friends of my parents on Eastlawn and low and behold my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Harris lived downstairs from them. And I remember Mrs. Russell had an apt. on Northcut right behind the Valley Shopping Ctr. And I ate at Chili Time on Vine the other night too. Sure do miss Roselawn. I was reminded that Carl's barber shop moved to the Essex House. Of cours my uncle built that building and sold it just before the bricks fell off. How many remember the Buccaneer Motel and Nightclub. The owners were old friends too and we Hiudt's spent many a night there. Dee Felice band. My old boss Herb Kirschner played there. He also at one time owned the Whisper Room and Hong Kong resturant. And I was reminded of the old Roselawn motel and now I can picture it at Summit and Reading Rd. We made a great friend there in Jake. A wasn't Bob Skinner Dodge there too? Oh and how about Summit Lanes which at one time was owned by Dan Tehan. He was such a great guy. Sherriff here and an NFL ref as a tenant in an apt that i cared for. But I have divulged too far from Roselawn School and the track meets.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 PM

116 posts, read 277,035 times
Wasn't there a photography supply store across the street from the Carrousel?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 PM

18 posts, read 64,430 times
Default Roselawn Yearbook

fhiudt... I'm glad you liked the old photos from years past. I can remember most of the kids from my brother's 6th grde along w/your brother Mark all the way down. I got hooked on this blog... it's been great. Nothing like burnt fries @ Chili Time !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:53 PM

Default Track Meet

fhiudt... do you remember Alan Becker running barefoot vs Carthage & hartwell in those track meets ?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 PM

22 posts, read 93,923 times
as a matter of fact Alan's picture is the one next to me in the fourth grade. We were friends since we were in the same grade and he lived on Corvalis and we on Beaverton almost directly behind each other. His mother had the yawn shop in the Roselawn Ctr shopping center and his dad did various jobs including Edgemont pony keg and the basket room at the JCC.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 PM

Default JCC Basketroom

1st was Nate, then Joe Becker !

Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,985,093 times
Are there any old Hartwell High School Alumni on here? If so, let me know, there is an Alumni Picnic in Sept I can pass the info along to you.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 AM

4 posts, read 13,208 times
Default My minor corrections to others' memories and more...

To the east of the Gardens was a chemical plant, maybe called
Grace Chemical (WAS HILTON DAVIS). Across from the chemical plant, on the
corner of Langdon Farm and Wiehe, was a small luncheonette.
Just north, on Wiehe, was an fm radio station, WAEF. This gets
into the neighborhood of Golf Manor, which extends east
toward Montgomery Road.

The brick facing on the Essex House came down in the late 60's or early 70's and the building was closed for repairs.

Daisy Donuts, just north of Victory Pkwy. The name was later changed
to Daily Donuts, ca. 1962, although the Daisy trademark remained.
Branches appeared around town - no idea whether this was the original.
The chain disappeared around 1980, I think.

The above mentioned donut shop on Reading Road just north of Victory Parkway and almost across from Sugar n' Spice was DUNKIN DONUTS. I lived in Paddock Hills just up the hill behind Sugar n' Spice and remember getting a balloon at the opening of the donut store and it poping when it hit the generator truck with a search light in the parking lot.

A tad south, on Victory Pkwy, a high-rise apartment building opened
around 1970. There was a restaurant on the first floor which closed
several years later.

The apartment building above is called the PARKLANE APARTMENTS. I had a good friend over there and would cut through Avon Fields Golf Course, cross Reading Road and go swimming in the pool over there. I remember being poolside (age 11) and seeing, for the first time, the Rollingstone's Sticky Finger Album cover with the real zipper. I thought it was so creative for an album cover.

Next to Loretta's restaurant was Gleuck's Drugs and a toy store. I remember a toaster in Loretta's restaurant that carried the bread slices up on a conveyer towards the heating element and dropped the toasted bread slices at the bottom of the machine.

Next to Capri Pizza was the THree Brothers Market. I worked there the summer of 1972 as my first paying job. I unloaded fruits and vegetables from the delivery trucks, sold the fruits and vegetables, baged ice cubes, sorted soda and beer bottles inside a fenced cage with barbed wire. There was a ten foot deep watermellon pool in the front of the store for chilling the mellons that I almost fell in as I was reaching for a big mellon.

Does anyone remember Cincinnati's first traffic reporter, Lt. Art Merhing. I remember him flying around the city in the late afternoon in the Korean War vintage whirliebird. As a child I would listen for the sound of the helicopter and several time I ran out into the middle of Avon Fields Golf Course just to see it close up.

I would also walk up Reading Road towards the intersection of Reading and Paddock Roads to visit the Fire Station (Engine 9) on Reading Road just south of Debbie Lane.

On Paddock Road, just south of the Norwood Lateral was an icecream place called Berlings. Does anyone else remember the place. I remeber going there in the late 60' and listening to the man serving the icecream tell stories about the area (Paddock Hills) before it was developed.

What about the milk men from Miller Dairy or Cedar Hill Farms, bread delivery, egg delivery or a family named Rizzo that had a fruit and vegetable truck?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 AM

22 posts, read 99,368 times
Default Barbers and Barber Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrikeye View Post
The barber shop was Frank's Barber Shop. Jim cut my hair too. Last I heard he had a stroke and is son Lucky took over the barber business. Frank won a bunch of money in the Ohio lottery and quit the barbershop. The other barber was Howard.

Frank was Frank Crea....black hair and a moustache. The other barber shop on the Reading Road business strip in the 1950s was on the west side of the street and was the first business imediately north of the White Castle parking lot. Bill Fischer had the first chair and the name of the business was under either his first or last name.
Howard was Howard Mounce and he went with Jim when the business moved to the Valley Shopping Center. Howard left because, according to Jim, his wife wanted to move back to southern Kentucky. So he bought a barber shop, I think either in Hazard or Somerset. I recall seeing in some publication a few years ago that Howard came back to Jim's Barber Shop.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM

309 posts, read 1,636,860 times
Default Donuts, Mehring Way, old Paddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheldman View Post
The above mentioned donut shop on Reading Road just north of Victory Parkway and almost across from Sugar n' Spice was DUNKIN DONUTS. I lived in Paddock Hills just up the hill behind Sugar n' Spice and remember getting a balloon at the opening of the donut store and it poping when it hit the generator truck with a search light in the parking lot.
Thanks, dsheldman. Actually that error had been pointed out by jkgibb1
some time early in the thread and was later "corrected". As for
Daily (originally, Daisy) Donuts, there were branches in Finneytown,
Deer Park, Delhi and Woodlawn, to name a few. They also used to
bring a trailer to the zoo's Food and Home Show, way back when.

Quote:
Next to Capri Pizza was the Three Brothers Market. I worked there the summer of 1972 as my first paying job. I unloaded fruits and vegetables from the delivery trucks, sold the fruits and vegetables, bagged ice cubes, sorted soda and beer bottles inside a fenced cage with barbed wire. There was a ten foot deep watermelon pool in the front of the store for chilling the melons that I almost fell in as I was reaching for a big melon.
We patronized that market, and Capri, in the late '50's and early '60's.
For some reason, the name Dixie's comes to mind. Wonder whether it
might have switched hands at some point?

Quote:
Does anyone remember Cincinnati's first traffic reporter, Lt. Art Merhing. I remember him flying around the city in the late afternoon in the Korean War vintage whirliebird. As a child I would listen for the sound of the helicopter and several time I ran out into the middle of Avon Fields Golf Course just to see it close up.
Oh, yeah - he was a local celebrity. One of the downtown streets was
renamed after him, ca. 1970.

Quote:
On Paddock Road, just south of the Norwood Lateral was an icecream place called Berlings. Does anyone else remember the place. I remeber going there in the late 60' and listening to the man serving the icecream tell stories about the area (Paddock Hills) before it was developed.
Do you remember any of the stories? They would be a great addition to the
thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati