U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 11:26 AM

15,594 posts, read 10,623,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Ann View Post
My family owned Porfidio's Wishing Well from 1953 until 1980. Yes, it was a "pale green" in later years but it was beautiful in it's time and quite hip at the time also, mind you! ;>

My Dad, Dick Porfidio, set up an advertising campaign with the "lousy waitresses, etc. and I have matches, lighters and other memorabilia with this logo on it.

My Dad, Dick Porfidio, died an untimely death in 1959 at the age of 48 and my Mom, Janie Porfidio, stepped in and ran it until 1980. Quite a feat in those days and she was something else. All dressed in designer couture from Giddings Jenny and the best designers had to offer at that time.

I can answer a lot of questions about the "Strip" if you have them. That was what Reading Road was called at that time, because it was the entertainment area of the day. The Carrousel Motel was fabulous and the bar and restaurant within had top name entertainment. Larry Kinley, who is still one of the best singers in Cincinnati, and Frank Vincent played there. And Sal Barresi, before he bought the Italian restaurant in Deer Park, was the bartender in the bar there!

But the Well, as the Wishing Well was called, was THE place to be!
Gerri, I remember your family restaurant well.

Our fraternity used to have a yearly stag party (Upstairs? in a private roon downstairs??) and all of your help came in to watch the movies
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 PM

88 posts, read 217,481 times
Yep, there was a banquet room upstairs that could be reserved. And not surprised that all the employees came up to watch your movies - just thank God, Mom didn't catch them. Or was she up there too?? ;> For all the glam, she enjoyed life on all levels!!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 AM

22 posts, read 92,729 times
Default Essex house

Yes it was. My uncle had just sold the building before the bricks fell off. I think my grandmother was still living there at the time. It was a funny joke around the family for a while. As to the Valley shopping ctr I do remember the 5 and dime very well. Later Marx openned at bagel shop there too. Does anyone from Roselawn School rememger Archie the candyman who sold out of his truck? Growing up in the Avondale-Roselawn area then there were a few people who made a living sell out of trucks. Archie, Rizzo fruit, Mr softee, i also remember a donut man and of course first Miller brothers then french bauer milk men.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Ann View Post
Yep, there was a banquet room upstairs that could be reserved. And not surprised that all the employees came up to watch your movies - just thank God, Mom didn't catch them. Or was she up there too?? ;> For all the glam, she enjoyed life on all levels!!
Gerri, yep, she came in once. Stayed a few minutes gave a big smile and left. She never came back up.

My folks and I ate there several times as did my wife and I. We loved the Wishing Well

Old 03-09-2009, 04:49 PM

133 posts, read 648,749 times
Hey Gerri Ann,

I was at the Wishing Well with my father the day the tornado hit, and went up Galbraith (maybe in 67 or 68). Wow, it just the restaurant by a few blocks!! What a wierd feeling.

Went to the Well many times with my folks, and have lots of great memories

Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
Hey Gerri Ann,

I was at the Wishing Well with my father the day the tornado hit, and went up Galbraith (maybe in 67 or 68). Wow, it just the restaurant by a few blocks!! What a wierd feeling.

Went to the Well many times with my folks, and have lots of great memories
It hit MacIntoshes, didn't it?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 PM

22 posts, read 92,729 times
Default tornado

yes it hit macintoshes and meir's place on reading rd. It was in June or July 1969 as I had just graduated from Woodward and was on a date for a frat rush at UC and we were on Cross County at Galbrieth when it came through and just missed myself and a date. Also my family had many special occassion dinners at the Well. One of the last was at my high school graduation and my brother in laws college graduation that June of 69. It was our family's favorite place to eat close to home.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM

133 posts, read 648,749 times
I think it also hit The Upper Krust on Reading road. I remember a billboard near Macintoshes twisted like a pretzel

Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 12,893,181 times
The Upper Krust = Meir's Place
Its proprietor was Meir Ovadia, an Israeli national who eventually (so the story goes) returned home. His business was star-crossed - flattened by the 1969 tornado, then struck by fire and robbery in subsequent years. Goyguy heaven will include one of that restaurant's high-rise sandwiches, probably with both "korned beef" and "pastromi." Izzy's had nothing on Meir's.
Sweeney's seafood restaurant was the successor in that space, and was in operation for ten years or so before closing up shop. Anybody know what's there now, if anything?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM

204 posts, read 694,429 times
I am pretty sure, but to make sure, was Upper Krust/Meir's Place & Sweeney's just south of Galbraith on Reading? If so, it was a place called Mama's Hot Pot, but is now being remodeled. No signs telling what it may become, but I've been by and seen a crew working on the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati