U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 02:58 PM

309 posts, read 1,616,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Sweeney's seafood restaurant was the successor in that space, and was in operation for ten years or so before closing up shop.
Don't forget Al Morse's "Ribs King", which had that spot in the mid-1970's.

I thought that the Upper Krust was renamed to Meier's Place as a direct
consequence of the building's resurrection. Could be wrong ...

As for the August, 1969, twister itself, we had family friends who were in the
Upper Krust at the time. Unfortunately, one of that party died some time
later as a result injuries sustained. It was a very nasty episode.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM

4,862 posts, read 12,903,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I am pretty sure, but to make sure, was Upper Krust/Meir's Place & Sweeney's just south of Galbraith on Reading? If so, it was a place called Mama's Hot Pot, but is now being remodeled. No signs telling what it may become, but I've been by and seen a crew working on the place.
Yes, it was on the east (even-numbered) side of the street in the 8100 block.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM

204 posts, read 694,836 times
Yes, that is the place. Thanks goyguy.

I was just looking up the fact that the tornados of April 3-4, 1974, also hit Reading Rd. I remember these tornados more than those of August 1969. In 1974, I lived in Golf Manor {I was 10 y.o.} & remember some minor damage in Roselawn, but more damage up around Reading/Arlington Heights.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 PM

88 posts, read 217,670 times
I remember the tornado 0f 1969 well. I was at home with other family and Mom was at the Well. She had remarried briefly at that time and she sent her husband up to check on us, while she stayed at the Well to take care of the situation. We lived just up the hill on Ridge Road in Amberley. I remember when my step-father came in, his pants were wet from the ground up to over the knees. He was 6'4". That is how much water was backed up in the parking lot at the Well from the tornado. He had waded through the water to get to the car. But the Well came through much better than the Upper Krust and McIntosh's.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 PM

88 posts, read 217,670 times
It is just so cool to connect with people who remember this time period so well. I have had many memories come back as a result of reading these posts!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM

309 posts, read 1,616,732 times
Default 1974 tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I was just looking up the fact that the tornados of April 3-4, 1974, also hit Reading Rd. I remember these tornados more than those of August 1969. In 1974, I lived in Golf Manor {I was 10 y.o.} & remember some minor damage in Roselawn, but more damage up around Reading/Arlington Heights.
I can recall some damage to buildings on Summit in the 1974 tornado.
If I'm not mistaken, though, the really big damage from that one was in Sayler Park.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM

15,611 posts, read 10,650,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhiudt View Post
yes it hit macintoshes and meir's place on reading rd. It was in June or July 1969 as I had just graduated from Woodward and was on a date for a frat rush at UC and we were on Cross County at Galbrieth when it came through and just missed myself and a date. Also my family had many special occassion dinners at the Well. One of the last was at my high school graduation and my brother in laws college graduation that June of 69. It was our family's favorite place to eat close to home.
Forgot all about Meir's place. We love that place in the beginning. Then it went downhill.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM

133 posts, read 649,140 times
Here's another random Reading Road memory.
Earth Day, 1970. This was the first Earth Day. I was one of the organizers of the Earth Day March, for the Walnut HIlls group. We met at Swifton Shopping Center and walked down Reading Road to Victory Parkway, and then all the way to Walnut Hills HS. We had zillions of pamphlets that we handed out to passing motorists. I was great, even if not much came of it, for many years. Several other schools had similar marches, as we coordinated with Woodward, at least.
Anyone remember this?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 PM

204 posts, read 694,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
I can recall some damage to buildings on Summit in the 1974 tornado.
If I'm not mistaken, though, the really big damage from that one was in Sayler Park.
Yes, the big destruction was in Saylor Park & Xenia, but there were numerous tornados that day, and the one near Roselawn went through Arlington Heights to Mason. I remember minor damage to Valley Shopping Center {some storefront windows broken}.

From Hamilton County Tornadoes, 1950-2003

"Moved northeast from Elmwood Place (north of Cincinnati), through Reading, Sharonville and Pigsah. The tornado lifted about four miles north of Mason. The two deaths occurred in Warren County. This tornado came from the same storm that produced the F5 Sayler Park tornado."

From Super Outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Mason tornado, which started in the northern Cincinnati subdivisions of Arlington Heights and Elmwood Place, was rated F4 and killed two..."

Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,787 times
Wow and more WOW! Loved reading this thread!

My mom worked in the Carousel Towers. Once in a while she let me come to work with her, she was an accountant. I remember the first time she took me to the Upper Krust, first time I ever had corned beef and have loved it ever since. Also remember the Arby's that had the actual roasts cooking on the front counter. I also remember vaguely Parkmoor, mom always said they had the best chicken. Think we brought it home, don't remember actually eating inside.

During the "69" twister, the office she worked in was hit bad, it was on the SW outer corner of the Carousel Towers building. She'd find glass in files months later. Her bosses relative was thrown out of the Upper Krust and remember the story about them picking glass out of his ear!

My parents got divorced when I was around 8 or so, and my dad lived for awhile on the corner of Joseph St and Reading, we lived on Avonlea. Then he moved further N on Reading or in the area. He didn't drive, but worked as a butcher for MANY years at A&P and wonder if anyone might remember him. He was a real people person, used to love his stories when he came home from work and he'd imitate everyone's accents. Everyone called him "Whitey", the story goes he had white blond hair for the first 3 decades of his life, then it turned brown. He still had mostly thick brown with some gray even when he died last year in his upper 80's. He also hung out at Ron's Hunt Club and other places and used to play drums there and elsewhere in the area, probably only till the 80's. He had a long time live in girlfriend named Cindy who died before him. She had red hair. Dad's real name was Elmer, so you can see why he used the nickname!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati