U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM

15,610 posts, read 10,650,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Do they still have a monopoly within the Jewish community? For the longest time, announcing the death of someone from that culture - out of the Enquirer obits - would bring the response, "...Weil Funeral Home, 3901 Reading Rd. That's where they all go."
They are still the only Jewish Funeral home in town. And a nicer and more honest institution, you will never find.

With a monopoly, they could gouge everyone, never! (the cemeteries, that's another story--Although all of the Jewish cemeteries are now owned by the same organization, not the synagogues, so time will tell)

My wife's aunt died in New York. She had prepaid Weils years and years ago. She was brought back to Cincy and since it was winter, we decided to have a grave side service to make it easier on everyone.

3-4 weeks after the funeral, my Mother-in-law got a call from Bobby Weil. Since we didnt use the chapel or a motorcade with motor cycle cops, there was a refund of over $1000.00 coming.

I can't begin to believe that any other funeral home in the country of any religion or persuasion, would do that!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 03:39 PM

309 posts, read 1,616,732 times
Default Weil's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
They are still the only Jewish Funeral home in town. And a nicer and more honest institution, you will never find.

With a monopoly, they could gouge everyone, never! (the cemeteries, that's another story--Although all of the Jewish cemeteries are now owned by the same organization, not the synagogues, so time will tell)
A family named Kahn, formerly of Wyoming, currently owns
Weil's. Mr. Kahn used to own the Chili Bowl, in Elmwood
Place. Not sure when they bought Weil's. His son Bill runs
the business now.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,919 times
The last enterprise before it was Duff's was a slot car racing business ...

Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 PM

15,610 posts, read 10,650,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
the business now.
I thought that the Kahns and Weils were related??

Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 PM

309 posts, read 1,616,732 times
Default Parlor talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I thought that the Kahns and Weils were related??
No idea - could well be. At a funeral several years ago I talked with Bill,
who said that his father had acquired the business years back.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,256 times
Yes, I attended Columbian Elementary School along with my sisters and brothers. What memories!! I remember the good teachers we had as well as all the other fun we experienced in our childhood. My family was the Cottrells.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,256 times
Yes, girl! I remember Skylines. I grew up in Avondale and also remember the Red Barn, Frisch's Big Boy, White Castles, Sears, etc. We went to school, church in the neighborhood. What memories!! Attended Columbian Elementary School, Samuel Ach Jr. High, and Hughes High School on Clifton Avenue. Good reading all the posts!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 PM

133 posts, read 649,140 times
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati
the business now

As some of you know, my mother died recently. Weill's did the funeral. I dealt with a Kahn (Sylvan Kahn's son, whose name I can't remember) on the phone. A Weil (I think it was Gordon) was at the funeral itself. I don't think the families are related. So, the Weils are still involved with the funeral home, even if they don't own the funeral home anymore.

My father was an accountant, and used to do the books for the Chili Bowl. Spent many hours hanging out there while my father was in back...I remember Sylvan Kahn well. I lived very near the old Weil's funeral home on Reading, and loved to ride my bike in their parking lot...it was huge.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 AM

4,862 posts, read 12,903,033 times
Default "Memory Lane" excursion

It doesn't seem like many of us, even those who still live in the Cincinnati area, get to Reading Rd much any more. So I thought I'd post a "snapshot" of the tour I ended up taking last weekend.

My destination last Saturday afternoon was Amma's Kitchen, one awesome spot for Indian food with a totally vegetarian selection to boot. It's situated in the building just north of Valley Shopping Center that'd been home to the lost and lamented Fortune Kookie for eons. I arrived via Summit Rd from Paddock, then afterwards returned to where I was staying - near UC - by way of Reading Rd all the way to Clinton Springs Ave.

The 7600 block of RR looked like something out of "Blade Runner." Just north of Amma's Kitchen on the same side of the street, the latest incarnation of the restaurant there (Phat Daddy's Soul Food) gave every appearance of not having stayed in business. Opposite Amma's stood a pair of buildings that looked for all the world like former supermarkets (perhaps Bilker's and the A & P?) Both of them had been covered with new facades, and are now functioning as churches of some sort - presumably with AA congregations. Over half of the Valley Shopping Center stood vacant, with a collection of imprinted awnings only on its west and north sides. The LaRosa's at the northwest corner, alongside the sidewalk, provided a landmark of sorts with its bizarre red and yellow palm tree sculptures. Weeds and grass poked through just about every crack in the sidewalk. A big lot at the northeast corner of the once-focal Section Rd intersection lay fallow. But on the positive side, the further south you went the better the street looked. The Roselawn Center Building bore a snappy appearance with new awnings all around, and a business name was over each storefront. All of the houses and brick-box apartment buildings were in good condition, had trimmed lawns, and seemed fully occupied. Only one vacant commercial space was in evidence - a generously-windowed showroom building at 7151, near Seymour Ave. Fast food chains are what they are, but Popeye's and McDonald's outlets on the approach to that intersection were well-maintained (no visible litter.)

Moving on into Bond Hill...the huge new addition to Woodward High School looked impressive, with the original tan brick building pushed into the background. But the quality of the education doesn't seem to have rebounded if reports I've read are any indication. The gigantic green Swifton Shopping Center sign at the southeast corner of Seymour had long since been replaced with a pale blue one during the Swifton Commons era, and now that it's Jordan Crossing the sign is bright navy blue. A shocker - even if the surrounding neighborhood hadn't once been heavily Jewish - was the presence of a big neon cross at the northwest corner of the mall building. But hey, a church did buy out the property, so that should've come as no surprise. At a side entrance, a metal "umbrella" awning from the Commons days had been stripped to a skeleton. Few retailers seemed to have set up shop there (I didn't stop in), the famously vast parking lot held few vehicles, and a Rally franchise stood empty alongside Reading Rd. The mall's new owners have tacked on a truly impressive meeting and office space, with high tinted windows, along the Langdon Farm Rd side of the building. And where the big brick boxes of Swifton Village once dominated the landscape, now the "Dreesville" called Villages of Daybreak provides the backdrop on the east side. (I wonder when it'll occur to somebody, anybody, to plant some trees there...)
Most of the homes and apartment buildings farther down the street didn't look so bad, but commercial properties were another story. Some places looked like they'd been through one changeover after another, dropping a notch each time; if they weren't wanting for tenants, they were operating as low-caliber convenience stores and pony kegs and such. A Richie's Fast Food outlet (notably cited in a separate Bond Hill thread) at the corner of Yarmouth Ave had the best curb appeal. It sported a spiffy building, a reasonably clean parking area, and a graffiti-free retaining wall replete with the business name. What that says about a commercial district - a fast-food joint looking better than other operations - isn't exactly positive.

Beyond the Norwood Lateral (um, Ohio 562) and the glaringly deserted former Showcase Cinemas, retailing appeared to be in good health. Porter Paints and the always-sketchy Gateway Lodge Motel were still there, as was the Sugar n' Spice restaurant. I called forth memories of back-and-forth trudges through Natorp's under a beating sun as my car rolled past its site, now a newly constructed church. The Park Lane apartment high-rise - never the prestige address its developers had probably envisioned - at the start of Victory Parkway looked in good repair. So did the other rental dwellings along the steep hill up to Paddock Rd. From there to Clinton Springs, it's been heavily reported how that area is faring. The near-total absence of any businesses whatsoever, topped off by the vast grassy expanse from Barry Lane to Avondale Ave which once bustled with a pharmacy and Loretta's and so forth, is an absolute scandal. With all that money residing in The Belvedere and in the surrounding community it makes no sense. That's thousand$$$ a week being dropped in Clifton and Norwood.

What was saddest about this jaunt was seeing how the deterioration of much of RR itself took away from how nice the side streets still seem. The "brick box alleys" of Summit Rd and Greenland Place looked frozen in time from their prime years of the mid-60's and before. Glances down Northwood, Carrahen, and Berkeley (to name three) turned up nothing but abundant greenery, meticulously maintained houses and brick boxes, and apparently recent lampposts with "acorn" light fixtures at the top. The seemingly endless cellar-dwelling state of the public schools, and the crime (or fear/perception thereof in its absence) are conspiring to keep that corridor from returning to its onetime status.

Eat your heart out, Charles Kuralt

Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM

88 posts, read 217,670 times
I found this fun website - www.cincinnativiews. net/business.htm - all postcards and some featuring La Ronde at the Carrousel and of course, the Well. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati