U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM

4,862 posts, read 12,903,033 times

Advertisements

I did notice two large, nearly adjacent, buildings which bore church signs though were clearly originally constructed to fulfill another function. Being stuffed after repeated buffet trips at Amma's Kitchen, food shopping was the last thing on my mind anyway. Now the memory is jogged!
The present-day residents of Roselawn and Bond Hill at least have a wide array of Sunday worship choices if not many grocery stores or other retailers. Eventually maybe I won't do a double-take when driving past "Swifton" and seeing the big blue cross on the end of the old shopping center structure - and will stop picturing Natorp's where yet another Christian religious sanctuary stands today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 PM

88 posts, read 217,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED MOSER View Post
The building was originally called the Roselawn Tavern Building and housed
a pharmacy on the first floor alongside the restraurant, which was above
Ron's. The second floor had a dentist, insurance agent and one other.
Glady's had a rear entrance and there was a second floor balcony across
the back with a staircase leading down to the parking area. Many of the
men who used to hang out there are still around and Joyce Klein a bar
maid during the late 80's early 90's visits Lefty's on thursdays (nail day)
or works as a subsitute bar maid (now at age 75)
So Joyce is still around - my oh my is that a name from the past!! I would love to see her - we used to share the same hair stylist!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
The building was originally called the Roselawn Tavern Building and housed
a pharmacy on the first floor alongside the restraurant, which was above
Ron's. The second floor had a dentist, insurance agent and one other.
Glady's had a rear entrance and there was a second floor balcony across
the back with a staircase leading down to the parking area. Many of the
men who used to hang out there are still around and Joyce Klein a bar
maid during the late 80's early 90's visits Lefty's on thursdays (nail day)
or works as a subsitute bar maid (now at age 75)
I am surprised that you say many of men are still around - so many who were like "dads" to me have gone on to that big Ron's Hunt Club in the sky - Bud Coughlin, Harry Huser, Whitey, John who owned the gun store, and on and on. I would love to know who is left!!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Ed, I hope you can make the trek across the viaduct for the meet-up on April 18th!
(Man's gotta have STORIES.) See the "sticky" post for specifics.
Refresh my and others' memories as to where the A & P was. It was somewhere north of Section Rd on the east side of the street. My coupon-clipping WASP ("you didn't know I was your Jewish mother?") mom occasionally included that store on grocery runs which - to young kids - seemed to stretch into eternity. I can place it as being north of Section only because we'd also swing by sometimes en route home from the pediatrician's office on the Brookcrest Dr side of the Roselawn Center Building.
Where is the sticky post?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 AM

"Stickies" are at the top of the Cincinnati forum's topic list. They're "stuck" there by the moderator. I'm sure that if you - Gerri Ann - and Mr Moser make the trek to the far-off expanses of Western Hills you'll steal the show! And I'm sure that if you were to send a DM to Ed he could give you all sorts of updates on folks you both know. Now that you're aware when Joyce is on hand at Lefty's, I hope you can catch her there.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM

18 posts, read 48,213 times
Quote:
The A&P was in the building that is now a church across from the Valley
Shopping Center or more directly across from Phat Daddy's& Amma's.
A little ways up Section, on the right 100 yards short of the tracks was
an Albers store, which became a furniture store. Everything to the north,
was a closed up Golf Course where kids like me could shoot rabbits, until
Jergens Lotion bought it and laid out a giant factory site. Somewhere
along the line, The City decided to NOT issue a building permit and the
muddy fields sat empty until it was converted to a general industrial park.

In the twenties and thirties, golf courses were included in almost all
communities in order to "upgrade the image", even though most home
buyers did not play golf.

The very first Dairy Queen was attached to a big produce sales building
just south of Avonlea about where the (now) church is, which used to
be Bilkers. I don't think Avonlea was there at the time but there was a
VERY large sycamore tree there in the 40's 50's time frame.
CORRECTION to the above...Replace the word Avonlea with AMBERLAWN
(sorry)

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Amberlawn: One of the worst street names in Hamilton County! See separate thread.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
"Stickies" are at the top of the Cincinnati forum's topic list. They're "stuck" there by the moderator. I'm sure that if you - Gerri Ann - and Mr Moser make the trek to the far-off expanses of Western Hills you'll steal the show! And I'm sure that if you were to send a DM to Ed he could give you all sorts of updates on folks you both know. Now that you're aware when Joyce is on hand at Lefty's, I hope you can catch her there.
Thanks GG - I am so there - looking forward to meeting any and all of you. While I am always and forever an eastside girl, I am also a Realtor and have sold, reluctantly but always have to make a living on the west side and do know my way to Ron's. Yum!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM

18 posts, read 48,213 times
Default Library & Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
Thanks for the posts Ed. They bring back lots of memories. You described the place where Ron's Hunt Club was so vividly I can see it clearly in my head now!!

I grew up in Golf Manor and would walk to the Roselawn Library, Valley Theatre, etc.
I guess you know that the theater folded when multi-screen operations
opened and could draw bigger crowds with fewer operators on duty.
The seats were stripped out and the building became a Jewish School for
Girls, then a Bingo Hall and reception&dance hall that just barely had its
head above water until the bingo operators pulled out to move into empty
space in the Seymour Shopping Plaza, next to the Ritz Nightclub, across
from Woodwards old parking lot.

During an especially slow period, the Legacy (Valley Theater) operator rented the space out for a one-night "teen dance" that had way too many
people invited and when the fire department limit was reached, hundreds of kids milled around outside,drifting up and down Reading Rd. One kid
decided it was a good time to open fire on a couple of girls walking nearby, resulting in one dying just south of Northwood (I think) and setting off a panic "run for it" that also turned into an opportunity for
different school rivalries to bubble up. The first gunshots of this new
source of trouble caused Metro to pull all busses out of the neighborhood
so now the rest of the kids had no way to get out.

In small and large groups, these people were running and hiding behind
houses and expanding out through the neighborhood. Altogether I believe
that some 30+ shots were reported. On the order of some 75 law officers
showed up , blaring their sirens and blinking their lights to lend a disco effect to the event. Finally, Metro was called back in and the drivers were told to take the remaining kids "somewhere" to get them out of the area.

The death and resulting publicity crushed the Legacy as all the previously
arranged meetings, weddings, comedy shows, etc. began to cancel.
This was Christmas Eve, 2005, as I recall but I was in hospital at the
time so I missed the goodstuff.

Following that, after a period of sitting empty, a couple of new bars tried
to function there and gradually morphed into what is now " Celebrities".
(As a side note, the old projection room is still upstairs near the front but
it now looks outward into dead space created when the ceiling was lowered over the main theater. (I ate the last of the popcorn)

The Library was taken out of the Valley Shopping Center as arranged
by a political deal struck in 2001. The Library representative claimed that
they wanted to expand services to the much smaller Bond Hill branch
and there was no suitable building available. They also admitted to my
questioning, that they had never looked at or considered the old Bond
Hill Theater building just yards away. Since at the time I was acting
Chair of the Roselawn Business Association and working for and representing the owners of the Shopping Center who wanted to keep the Library there, I extended the offer (in public) that Roselawn would donate
some $200,000 for space modifications so the Library could grow in place
with minimal distrubance for themselves or patrons.

I was really concerned about this for several reasons. (a) Their plan did
not make economic sense, (b) we had many classrooms of kids who were
walked to and from the Library during the week, so many that I built
5 flower gardens for them to walk through and hopefully to begin gardening behind the Library where they entered and exited.(c) Roselawn
had some 500 Russian Jewish Immigrants who walked to the Library on
a frequent basis but who would be sitting ducks walking through the
new location arranged in the old Swifton, assuming they could walk the
extra distance, and (d)losing the Library seemed to me to be a deathknell
for the Shopping Center at a time when many local Council members were
trying to revive Roselawn as a "walkable community" in which to Live,Love,
Laugh, Work and Play.

Finally realizing that the "fix" was in, I ask that they at least name the
new facility the Bond Hill-Roselawn Public Library but the representative
of The Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County said "hyphenated names just didn't work".

They did sort of imply that we would be "better served" by them taking
our Library away. (I'm still studying that)

Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM

I'd always appreciated the irony shown in the naming of The Legacy by its owner. From the looks of things on the Web page for the club, she'd put together a well-run operation that was much appreciated by the clientele. The absence of an event center with an upscale atmosphere which caters to Cincinnati's AA population was addressed by The Legacy, and now needs to be addressed again.
The well-run operation was in good hands, however, only when the proprietress was around to oversee it. When a 19-year-old guy - whose knack for enterprise has to be commended - approached someone "on duty" with the idea for a December dance party, the person in charge didn't even check to see whether he was old enough to drink legally. He got the green light to rent the hall. In the blink of an eye, word got out all over town about THE place to be on Christmas Eve. Similar to what transpired a couple of months ago at a sweet-sixteen party in Fairfield, hordes descended upon the Valley Shopping Center in numbers far beyond what The Legacy's security staff could control. What unfolded has been written about by C-D's Fount of Information Bar None.
The sad denouement to the tale is, like what happens at many urban crime scenes there were dozens of witnesses who saw nothing. But over a year later, someone's conscience prevailed and the perpetrator was named to the police. He was put through "due process" all the way up to a trial, where the person who "snitched" undoubtedly had to take the witness stand. For lack of evidence beyond hearsay, the case was thrown out and the offender ("alleged") walked away Scot-free. The courageous individual who stepped forward probably had to leave town.
The Valley Shopping Center seems to be that in name only now. What's to shop for there? Roselawn Pharmacy moved into its own new building nearby and the library is gone too. LaRosa's is at the end of the structure right by the street. A well publicized (and well patronized) South Asian grocery store has called it quits. There are a few real estate, insurance, etc offices still occupying spaces in the upper level. Kitty, Fido, and the ferret may or may not be carted to the veterinary clinic which is now mainly based in Deer Park and could've bailed from Reading Rd entirely. What remains is a vast empty parking lot and a big L-shaped brick building filled with vacancies. It's mind-boggling what the fear of crime will do when not all that much actually takes place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati