U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:11 PM

20 posts, read 124,345 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the info. The Jewish Center is at 1580 Summit Road. The satellite photos show what looks like an apartment development across the street from the Center. The apartments were probably built on the grounds once occupied by Castle Farm.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 PM

309 posts, read 1,616,260 times
Default Castle Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by worseck View Post
Thank you for the info. The Jewish Center is at 1580 Summit Road. The satellite photos show what looks like an apartment development across the street from the Center. The apartments were probably built on the grounds once occupied by Castle Farm.
My mother remembers Castle Farm as being on the north side of
Galbraith, across from the original MacIntosh's. Around 1970,
MacIntosh's moved across the street and built on that site. I think her
memory may be accurate, in particular because my father had a hand in
planning the apartment building across from the JCC, which you note
in the satellite photo.

Of course, that would raise the question of what did precede the
apartment building. That stretch of Summit was almost entirely
residential, with the exception of the JCC, the adjacent nursery school
and the church on the northeast corner with Greenland. The entire
swath west of Reading Road, from Kenova to Galbraith, was in fact
residential, with a few small businesses and religious buildings on
Section and Summit.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Thank you and your mother for the info on the Castle Farm location. I am not familiar with MacIntosh's. Could you help me in trying locate Castle Farm by indicating a nearby intersection to th 2 MacIntosh's locations on Galbraith?
Many thanks. I tried the Cincinnati Library History and Geneology desk today to see if they could help but that section apparently is closed for a month or so due to some changes in the library.

Last edited by worseck; 09-10-2007 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Default MacIntosh's

Quote:
Could you help me in trying locate Castle Farm by indicating a nearby intersection to th 2 MacIntosh's locations on Galbraith?
MacIntosh's was on a segment of Galbraith between what is now the I-75
overpass and Burkhart, a small cross-street near Reading. The
landscape around that area has changed a bit in the last forty years.

Both directions of the Mill Creek Expressway (I-75) used to run through
Lockland in a sort of concrete canyon. A separate set of raised
northbound lanes was created in the late 1960's which ran along the
creek, to the east of the southbound lanes. The two directions remain
separated from Arlington Heights north to Evendale. Construction of the
northbound lanes entailed significant earthwork, with major changes in
the appearance of the area. As if that were not enough, completion of the
Cross County Highway in the 1980's, just parallel to Galbraith, brought
even more changes.

For reference, the Lewis Animal Hospital was and is roughly 100 to 200
yards west of where the original MacIntosh's stood. Just east of the
restaurant was a photographer's (Rob Paris) studio. The newer
MacIntosh's, across the street, was just east of the northbound entrance
to I-75, maybe by 100 yards. So that's where Castle Farm probably was.
The trouble is, the landscape in that quarter-mile stretch of Galbraith
has changed so drastically that you may not even recognize the site.

When the reference desk reopens, please let us know whether that was
the actual location.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 AM

The detailed information you provided was very helpful. Using country records and the satellite photos I think I was able to identify the property in question. The address is 1438 E. Galbraith (on the north side of the road) and has something to do with industrial equipment. The county records listed the busines category as commercial warehouse and the transaction history listed MacIntosh's as a previous owner. So it all fits. I am continuing to search for information and will keep you posted as I find out more. Many thanks for your update.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM

The Library of the Cincinnati Historical Society responded to an inquiry today about Castle Farm with the following:

"In checking the Cincinnati city directories, Castle Farm was located on Summit Road. An article from the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER of July 4, 1964, which was written at the time Castle Farm was being torn down, gives a more specific location as Summit and Edgemont Roads.

According to an article in the CINCINNATI POST & TIMES-STAR of December 28, 1963, "the original date of the first Castle Farm seems to be lost. [Milt] Magel bought it from A. J. (Toots) Marshall who had constructed the present building in 1927 by building it over the first, smaller Castle Farm, then tearing down the inner walls."

According to another article from the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER of May 17, 1964, the last show and dance ever to be held at Castle Farm was to take place on May 23, 1964."

Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Summit Road - not quite so residential

Quote:
Castle Farm was located on Summit Road.
That pegs it.

So if Castle Farm was not the predecessor to MacIntosh's II, I wonder what was.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Further update on the Castle Farm question. The History Desk at the Cincinnati Public Library sent the following Our Hamilton County County directory for 1939 lists the following:
"Castle Farm night club es Summit rd 1 n Edgemont rd E"
Since there were no house numbers, they listed the houses in order from the intersection. In this case Castle Farm would have been on the east side of Summit Road, the first house north of the intersection of Summit and Edgemont.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Default More on Castle Farm and Reading Road

Quote:
In this case Castle Farm would have been on the east side of Summit Road, the first house north of the intersection of Summit and Edgemont.
A cousin of mine who grew up in Roselawn agrees with jkgibb1: the
site was directly across from the JCC. If Castle Farm closed in 1964, what
occupied the site until the apartments went up? - a stretch of nearly a
decade.

Also according to cuz:

The seafood stand north of Bilker's was named Fish Fair.

The Fortune Cookie did not take over the old Carter's, but was in a
a different building.

The bank in the yellow-brick building in the Valley shopping center
was Franklin Federal - not Fifth Third.

In the same plaza with the Avon Bakery was an ice cream and candy
store, Bohm's. Maybe someone else already mentioned this.

Sand's Restaurant was kosher.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 29,500 times
I am so happy that i found this site even though I grew up in Loveland around 20 Mile stand my memories of Reading road from 1960 till 1971 are still quite vivid. I now live in Ladson, SC just north of Charleston. As far south on reading road that I can remember was Sears way down.From Swifton Center north I remember walking past The Rexall drug store then further north was a night club on the right then a steak and pan cake house. My mother was an executive secretary for Executive Inn whose home office was the North Plaza Motel where I would go during the summer while in high school to swim all day. I remember the Frishes mainliner and the Carousel Motel. After crossing Galbraith Road My memory is faded until we reach Reading with White Castle on the Left Sorrentos on the right then the glass barn which I visited with my wife in August 2007. Past Pee Wee valley we come to Cooper Road. On past Cooper Road their was as memory serves a very unique and by gone ara of KFC which actually served your chicken on china plates with all the fixens. Next on the left was the old Mayfair motel where I worked my way through college. I understand I has now been flattened. It was right across the street from the Formica Plant. In that motel which was extremely popular was a pool coffee shop and a very popular night sot the mayfair lounge owed by Paul Lictenburg and hosted by the bartender Don Jones. If anybody has any memories of this motel or lounge please share those with me my email on this is rgall01@netzero.net, or on this web site. Next door to the Mayfair was the General Motors training Center. On further north was a restaurant to be more precise was JO JO Martinellies then I remember a David's buffet. If any of these are incorrect or if you have memories to share please do so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati