U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 30,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwyddi View Post
Dinner Bell was on the corner of Main St. and S. East St. across the street from Yost's pharmacy. Dud-n-Suds was in the building that now houses Angilo's Pizza. My dad wired it for the washers and dryers I think Space's Rocket dry Cleaners was next door. Angilo's used to be in a white house next to the town hall. That house was torn down to make the parking lot sometime after 1967.

On up Main St. was the Creamy Whip. Orginally it was on the corner of Main St. and Kings Mills Rd. but about 1958 it was moved south one lot next to my dad electrical shop McGuire's Electric. Barney's grocery was across Main st where the Pest Control place is now. Bar's grocery was on W. Main St. 3 building from Reading Rd. At First Ave. and Reading Rd. was Pure oil gas station which later became Lawson Dairy.
The Creamy Whip switched places with a gas station garage when it moved. The station had been owned by "Streaky" Conover who sold it and bought the Creamy Whip. Streaky" Conover was also chief of police at some time before Jim Knott who was chief when I was growing up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,731 times
My father, Robert A. (Bob) Cook, who was an account executive at WCPO Radio (1953-55) and WLW-T Television (1955-65), was an occasional track announcer at the Cincinnati Race Bowl in Reading during the 1950's. I thought the track had been a 1/4 mile track, not a 1/8th mile. I remember Dad always referred to it as "the fastest 1/4 mile asphalt track in the country," due to its high-banked turns.

-- Drew Cook, Cincinnati

Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,967 times
I remember that fruit market on Tennessee and Reading! The ground there was covered with what I beleive were old shredded car tires.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 AM

15,600 posts, read 10,629,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edselmaniac View Post
I remember that fruit market on Tennessee and Reading! The ground there was covered with what I beleive were old shredded car tires.
Angelo's Pizza was in the back of he market. Best pizza in Cincy at that time

Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 15,641,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We still have an Angelo's in Mason along with a ton of others. Angelo's is a little greasy, but a throwback to what pizza originally was - comfort food.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,731 times
Default Race track on corner of Reading & Glendale-Milford Rds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED MOSER View Post
Haven't seen any reference to it yet but there was a very highly-banked
1/4 mile race track on the southwest corner of Reading and Kemper(?)
back around 51-52. Don't know when it was torn out but some guys from
Roselawn used to ride our stiff-hub Paramount racers out there to train
for continous high speed running. We thought we could make it into
Olympic contention but that somehow fizzled out.

I remember running close behind a stock car one day at close to 6o (according to the driver) but that seemed pointless and was pretty scary.

Fellow named Bill Lapthorn put the deal together and he can still be seen
cycling around Roselawn, downtown, Carthage or wherever on a very ratty looking multi-speed bike. Bill lives in Golf Manor and must be about
74 by now, possibly a little older. Buried in a box somewhere I've got a
photo of myself at the time, looking somewhat trimmer.
Ed,

That track was the Cincinnati Race Bowl, located on the southwest corner of Reading and Glendale-Milford Rds. It was, as you said, a high-banked 1/4-mile asphalt track, the fastest in the country. Midgets and stock cars ran there until it closed in 1958. My Dad was one of the announcers at the track in the mid to late '50's, and I remember going there as a very young kid. Do a Google search for Cincinnati Race Bowl, and you'll find a web site with some old photos of the track, looking just as I remember it.

-- Drew Cook

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
We still have an Angelo's in Mason along with a ton of others. Angelo's is a little greasy, but a throwback to what pizza originally was - comfort food.
Is it the same Angelo's that was at Tennessee and RR in the 60??

If so, where in Mason? Thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 15,641,930 times
Quote:
Is it the same Angelo's that was at Tennessee and RR in the 60??

If so, where in Mason? Thanks
I can't confirm if it is the same. But the one here has been the same name for the 35 years I have lived here. It is in a small building in our downtown on Main Street (Route 42).

Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM

22 posts, read 98,194 times
Quote:

If, as you state, that was Angelo's Pizza at the corner of Reading and Tennessee, please tell us exactly where Capri's Pizza was located.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran observer View Post
If, as you state, that was Angelo's Pizza at the corner of Reading and Tennessee, please tell us exactly where Capri's Pizza was located.
VO, you are right...I had a senior moment. Capri Pizza at T&R
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati