U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 11:06 AM

9,259 posts, read 15,866,728 times

Advertisements

There are still 21 Angilo's Pizza locations listed in the Yellow Pages for the area. I remember them from 35-40 years ago. Amazing they have been able to hang on with all of the national chain competition.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 31,218 times
I remember Angelo's in Mason from the early 60s. Originally it was in a white house next to the Town Hall on Main St. just west of East St. There was a high counter and a narrow space in front of it for customers. When I was 13 they had a Teen Canteen in the Town Hall auditorium up stairs that later became the court rooms. Individual cheese pizzas was 50 cents and you would save up 60 cents. 10 cents got you into the canteen and since Angelo's was open a half hour after the canteen you ran next door and got a pizza to take home.
Angelo's is a chain of Pizza places there used to be one in Monroe that had an eating area. I remember one in Reading but not where it was located. In the 60s and 70s there was Angelo's all over the area but now the only one I know of it the one on Main St. now 2 doors east of West St. and I am planning a visit on my next trip home but the individual cheese pizzas are a lot more now.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 13,057,860 times
LOL...from "west of East St" to "east of West St," gotta love it.
Shameless promotion: Everybody with Reading Rd memories is invited to share them at the next C-D meet-up, scheduled for July 18th. See the "sticky" post at the top of the Cincinnati thread list.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 AM

9,259 posts, read 15,866,728 times
My favorite memories of Reading Rd are of the old Valley Theatre. I believe it had the largest auditorium of any suburban theatre. I remember seeing On The Beach (1959) with the main setting in Australia during the aftermath of a worldwide nuclear war. On that big Cinemascope screen it was quite impressive.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Appropriately enough given the demographics of Roselawn at the time, I saw "Fiddler on the Roof" there. What I remember most about that theater, though, is that its phone number was one digit off from my family's. We got more calls looking for show times! Eventually we played along by grabbing the Enquirer movie listings and answering the caller's question without comment. LOL
During the '90s the theater's space was made over into a banquet/meeting facility named (with delicious irony) The Legacy. For some years it was quite the place, obviously nondiscriminatory in terms of whose business it honored but renowned mainly for being a nice upscale place for AA families and groups to gather for conferences or celebrations. But its laissez-faire attitude with regard to clientele came back to haunt it on Christmas Eve in 2007. A 19-year-old was permitted to rent the premises for a hiphop dance party, which went out of control when far more people than could occupy the hall showed up. Before the night was over a young woman had been shot dead and "half the police force" of Cincinnati was scouring the neighborhood corraling wandering and brawling partygoers. The incident put a bad mark on Roselawn and caused The Legacy to go bankrupt. A couple of other clubs have tried to make a go of it in the same space, without success.
Most of my Reading Rd movie memories, though, were made at the Carrousel Cinemas I & II a few blocks north of the Valley. My introduction to the "cliffhanger" concept was there - as the "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" car hurtled toward certain oblivion and the music got louder and faster and more frantic...INTERMISSION flashed on the screen.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 PM

88 posts, read 220,517 times
I was lucky enough to see the "World Premier" of Fiddler on the Roof at the Valley for opening night! Molly Picon was a local resident who was an actress in the film. The premier was here in her honor as her family was a survivor of the Holocaust. Molly was on stage there that night - and my mom and I were invited as Molly and Mom got their hair done by the same stylist!!! Later that evening, many of the folks - including Molly - showed up at the Wishing Well. Magical times, indeed!!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 PM

88 posts, read 220,517 times
And what I remember about the Carrousel cinemas was seeing "Play Misty for me" - one of the first "slasher films"! Which would truly be tame by today's standards....

Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 AM

15,924 posts, read 11,059,375 times
When I was a kid, The Valley was one larger theater. Later it became 2(?) or 3(?) screen movie-plex

Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Correct. It was "twinned" for the latter years of its run.
Not to be confused with the notorious Twin Drive-In on the other side of Bond Hill. I also have cinematic recollections involving the Showcase 'plex which went up in its stead and is now itself a thing of the past.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:17 AM

15,924 posts, read 11,059,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Correct. It was "twinned" for the latter years of its run.
Not to be confused with the notorious Twin Drive-In on the other side of Bond Hill. I also have cinematic recollections involving the Showcase 'plex which went up in its stead and is now itself a thing of the past.
The Showcase marquee is still up. I don't know if it died because of the neighborhood or the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati