U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM

4,865 posts, read 13,053,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Woody Weinstein...was a crazy (good) guy, a old school pharmacist and a great mentor and friend
But going by name, one thing he wasn't was a goyguy.
No doubt it was a great deal more convenient for most people to get to Weil's for his funeral where they are now, and not at 3901 Reading Rd. The symbolism didn't escape me that the premier - if not only - Jewish-focused morticians in the city were probably the LAST such business (principally serving the chosen tribe) to leave Avondale. Although "The" Jewish Hospital was entirely on its original campus about two miles south for even longer.
It's fascinating to see how some of the "wing nut" - if you will - branches of Judaism have not only staked claims in Golf Manor and Woes Lawn but are starting to put down deeper roots. The phone book lists a rabbi on Stillwell Rd - as of 2014! We're talking some thirty or more years after the brick boxes around there started to skid downhill and the results heavily impacted the Finneytown-like subdivision north of Crest Hill. I've personally spotted not a few tall lanky young gents with curly forelocks and full black garb (including hats) around Summit and RR. Maybe their wives are at the mikvah on Kenova at the other end of the neighborhood? Or picking up the kids at the Orthodox school on Losantiville? Regardless, it's something notable to observe.

In Brooklyn something similar went on in Crown Heights for decades - fringe sects digging in while most of the other Jews beat feet outta there. Now the gentrification tsunami washing over Brooklyn is lapping at the shores of Crown Heights, and doubtlessly some mainstream-type Jewish individuals and households are part of the wave. In Cincinnati there's a semblance of that, with not a few elders whose roots were in Avondale or Bond Hill or Roselawn, and who sought safe harbor in Wyoming or Amberley between the 1950's and '70s, downsizing and winding up in...The Regency and the high-rises ringing East Walnut Hills, practically within walking distance of the neighborhoods their parents walked and lived in. But it's only a similarity and far from the same phenomenon. I don't see any "reverse migration" boom anywhere on the order of Brooklyn's occurring in the RR corridor soon or probably ever.

DON'T HATE - you can't derail a thread about Reading Rd by talking about the Jewish population of Cincinnati. For "eons" the two were inextricably intertwined, until inexorably they both declined.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
For "eons" the two were inextricably intertwined, until inexorably they both declined.
The supply of adjectives beginning with "inex" seems inexhaustible & hopefully I didn't go in excess of what was tolerable in that last post.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,705,204 times
At the risk of running the thread too far off topic, what exactly are the distinctions among "mainstream" and "wing-nut" branches of Judaism? I know the folks at Beth Adam are on the far-liberal side, and I would assume those huge temples in Amberly qualify as mainstream (Reformed?), but I don't know a lot about the finer divisions. Does wing-nut mean don't drive a car on the Sabbath? I assumed that's why the Orthodox types (?) are clustered around Summit, so they can walk to temple.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:39 AM

10,135 posts, read 26,295,177 times
I think it highly improper and offensive to denigrate conservative Judaism as was done above. There was a time when that would have been equivalent to the use of the N word. Today, with the rising tide of anti-Semitism, it passes unnoticed for the most part. And, with American Jews running from their religion like bats from a cave, there is no one to defend their Orthodox brothers.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,705,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think it highly improper and offensive to denigrate conservative Judaism as was done above. There was a time when that would have been equivalent to the use of the N word. Today, with the rising tide of anti-Semitism, it passes unnoticed for the most part. And, with American Jews running from their religion like bats from a cave, there is no one to defend their Orthodox brothers.
I hope you don't mean me--perhaps in writing my response to goyguy my implied point about applying the "wing-nut" adjective to a religious group didn't come across as I intended. I did think it would be interesting to see what would prompt someone to indulge in that kind of name-calling.

I'll admit there are some Christian groups I'd apply it to--Westboro Baptist or whatever their name is, the people who disrupt military funerals with their demonstrations about how "God hates f*gs" come to mind. But those folks I sometimes see walking to temple on Saturdays sure don't seem to fit anything like that mold.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:05 AM

10,135 posts, read 26,295,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I hope you don't mean me--perhaps in writing my response to goyguy my implied point about applying the "wing-nut" adjective to a religious group didn't come across as I intended. I did think it would be interesting to see what would prompt someone to indulge in that kind of name-calling.

I'll admit there are some Christian groups I'd apply it to--Westboro Baptist or whatever their name is, the people who disrupt military funerals with their demonstrations about how "God hates f*gs" come to mind. But those folks I sometimes see walking to temple on Saturdays sure don't seem to fit anything like that mold.

I don't mean you. Mocking people because of the details of their religious beliefs is not in your repertoire, I'm sure.

What people do to others in the name of religion, like beheading infidels, or protesting gays, is fair game for criticism in my book, but Orthodox practices are not.

Mid Century Reading Road had plenty of Orthodox Jews. I think the Roselawn Synagogue was very conservative. Their lives have become quite difficult with the rise of antisemitism since their dress code makes them stand out. Not a good idea on Reading Road.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 PM

88 posts, read 220,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Yes, ma. Can I go to Bilker's for a pickle now?
Yes you may - if it were still there!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:57 PM

I'll go to W & S for a pulled pork plate instead. But I'll need another $5, Ma. (lol)

Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 PM

15,920 posts, read 11,047,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
\

A long line of independent pharmacies were once on Reading Rd, most are long gone
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think Roselawn Pharmacy is the last independent phcy left on RR

Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 13,928 times
Default Reading Rd. corridor - off the beat and track

A few additions to the wonderful detailed memories of mid-century (sounds like early American history!) Reading Rd.

I lived in Bond Hill on Andina Ave. for 12 years, from 1964 until I left Cincinnati in 1976 after dropping out of Woodward in my senior year. My parents finally moved to the suburbs in 1990. My "gang" (in the best sense of the word, as in "merry adventurers") and I roamed the streets of Cincinnati from 1971 to 1976 (my brothers and their friends continued the tradition for six years longer), beginning with Bond Hill, North Avondale, Golf Manor, and Roselawn, and then extending in larger circles around the city, particularly up to Finneytown, where one of my best friends moved around 10th grade (1974), and Greenhills, where my wife grew up. We traveled on foot, bike, hitchhiking, and eventually with our own wheels, and we got to know Cincinnati from downtown north to Kenwood, Tri-County and Northgate and everywhere in between (but not Western Hills or the far east side) pretty intimately. I still think of Cincinnati as the Queen City because of the beauty I experienced growing up there.

One of my best friends lived at 1010 Egan Hills Dr. off of Paddock Rd. on the north edge of the west side of Avon Fields Golf Course. There is an old and very cool set of stone steps that go from the west side of this part of the golf course up to North Avondale, I believe to Avon Fields Lane or Red Bud Ave. I assume these steps are still there. Don't know how safe they are these days - it is often best to explore new off the beat and track areas with a friend, especially the first time around.

At the SE corner of the Twin Drive-In property, i.e., at the NW corner of Ross Ave. and Rhode Island Ave., was an entrance to the unfinished Cincinnati subway system. That particular tunnel ran (and probably still runs) south right under Ross Rd. on the west side of Rhode Island / Section. I believe this entrance has long been buried.

St. Aloysius orphanage's annual summer festival had a "swinging gym", one of the few places I have ever seen these contraptions. You got in a cage and through sheer muscle power had to swing the cage back and forth until it went over the top of the bars. Then you got to swing in a circle for a few minutes before they put the brakes on. Two people in the cage meant twice the muscles but also twice the weight. One of the most fun "rides" I've ever "gone on". If I could find one I would renovate it and put it in my backyard.

There was a McDonald's restaurant near the corner of Anita Pl. and Reading Rd. in Bond Hill, across the street from Andina Ave., which I don't think was mentioned in the earlier post. I believe this restaurant opened around 1970. It closed some decades later, I understand.

There was a night club in the early 70s on Seymour Ave. across from Swifton Shopping Center called "The Connection". This was when the only building in the large lot stretching from Seymour Ave. north to Losantiville Ave. and east of Reading Rd. was the six story high "5/3 Bank". The rest of that large lot was filled with what we called "The Craters" - six-foot deep and wide ditches dug for the sewer pipes, etc., of the shopping mall that eventually went in there. There was a very small patch of woods just behind The Connnection (about where "Deveroes" is now) in a clearing of which we had a few special plants growing back in the day.

The school that opened in 1970 was not a middle school, as mentioned in the article, but a junior high school - Crest Hills Jr. High School, which is now the "Academy of Multilingual". This was built to relieve the baby boomer overflow at Woodward HS. As the first students in this brand new school it was fun to be able to hang out in the Craters at recess and after hours, and to be able to go through the gate at the back of the school and be in Roselawn Park. Mr. Mooney was our favorite teacher in Crest Hills.

There was a broken pay phone outside Mableys in the Swifton Shopping Center. One of my best friends and I used to stand a bit away from this phone and watch people put quarters, etc., in and then bang the phone in anger when they lost their money. After a while we would take a toothpick and jimmy the phone, at which point several dollars worth of coins would pour out into our hands. We usually went right down to Pasquales and purchased steak sandwiches with our ill-gained money. We milked that phone for months before it was fixed.

This same friend and I had a way to get into the unfinished 5/3 building, where we would play for hours, walking the stairs up the top floor, etc. Little things that you never forget. We were 7th graders then, 45 years ago.

A book could be written about the hollow ceilings above the halls and auditorium at Woodward HS, and hollow walls around the auditorium. These were only accessible by the Woodward Stage Crew, which we were proud members of. There was a rumor that the crew from the 50s or 60s had hidden master keys in one of the hollow walls off of the stage. We searched for hours for these keys, and were successful in finding some real amazing things.

Those are some of the off the beat and track things one might not have noticed driving down Reading Rd. from Amberly or Roselawn to Walnut Hills HS and back every day. Of course there are many many more. That area was an incredible place to grow up, at an incredible time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati