Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM

88 posts, read 233,065 times

Advertisements

Try this - www.cincinnativiews.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM

When you click on that website, click on "business" to see the restaurants.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 AM

311 posts, read 1,753,481 times
Default Ye olde businesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Ann View Post
That's a really nice set of postcard images.

The picture of the Wishing Well gives a good feel for how the building
stood. Judging by the cars in the lot, it looks like 1964 or thereabouts.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Ann View Post

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a site

Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
The picture of the Wishing Well gives a good feel for how the building
stood. Judging by the cars in the lot, it looks like 1964 or thereabouts.
Agreed. I remember the building, particularly the pale green exterior wall with the red "Wishing Well" lettering and the well logo at the Galbraith/Reading corner. The neon sign must've come down before sticking in my mind.
That's quite the treasure trove of post cards. From that site, I learned the name of the drive-in restaurant down the road a piece in Roselawn which is still standing: Webbie's. I don't recall that place's having been brought up in this discussion. It may not have lasted long in competition with Frisch's, which incidentally was originallyconsidered a "Mainliner" - as I'd thought - according to the site.
Businesses in the RR corridor may have changed over the years, but the buildings and signs had been constructed to last. When Udipi (now known as Amma's Kitchen) moved in where the Fortune Kookie had been, the owners left the sign in place on its stout black pole. They had plain white plastic panels put in to replace the Chinese restaurant's red-lettered yellow ones, and posted their own sign below them. Next door at what I now know was once Webbie's, the sturdy sign remains complete with the big arrow which wraps around the bottom and the right side (though the bulbs inside it have probably burned out.) The sign itself has been painted black, with "Phat Daddy's" inscribed in big white block letters. I have my doubts that the current establishment features uniformed carhops wearing roller skates, lol.
Another interesting post card relevant to RR was that of the La Ronde's cocktail lounge. I have zero recollection of the elaborate merry-go-round sculpture in the middle of the room. Then again, the lounge probably was separate from the restaurant, and the fact that my teetotaling parents would've passed it up when we went to the Carousel for the occasional occasion dinner would explain my absence of recall.
Thumbs up, way way up, to Gerri Ann for the link!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM

I thought you would enjoy it! I do remember the horse carousel in La Ronde - had quite a few adult beverages at that bar! And since owning the Well, Mom was never a teetotaler - God rest her soul, and liver!!! I thought the cards were way cool. Totally agree about the buildings being made to last - and some of their signs too. Pretty bizarre to see what has come into some of those old establishments. But I heard from another poster that Goyguy has had pretty neat City data events. Any truth to that rumor???

Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Far be it from me to comment there
So far nobody has anything to say about Webbie's? Interesting.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM

311 posts, read 1,753,481 times
Default Webbie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Far be it from me to comment there
So far nobody has anything to say about Webbie's? Interesting.
The address for Webbie's is given as 7661 Reading Rd., and the
sketches of the cars in the lot maybe place it in the late 1940's.
This is approximately where Sand's restaurant and the Buccaneer
motel used to be in the late 1950's and the 60's, but I cannot
place Webbie's at all. Now there is a credit union on that spot.

There was a Parkmoor drive-in about a block to the north, just
across Summit. It last until the mid-late 1960's.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 PM

I remember the Bucaneer but not Webbie's or the Sands - sorry guess I was too young ;>

Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 AM

133 posts, read 691,103 times
My uncle used to stay at the Bucaneer, when he came up from Florida for extended visits. It was a dive. I know we ate a couple of times at the Sands, but can't really remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati