Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 PM

88 posts, read 232,988 times

Advertisements

Why Not was in a mini plaza just south of Chili Time and across the street from Ron's. Ron and Gladys lived on that side street right next to it and it is possible that they owned that property too - but not sure on that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 PM

88 posts, read 232,988 times
My Room is still in business - though that is one I have never been in - but the owner of KT's referenced it as he fought his case to keep Barbie Cue in front of his business. And just last week, he won his case! God bless America!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Wasn't there also a spot of questionable repute (though without shootings and stabbings) called the Why Not Lounge in that vicinity?
I think "My Room" on Pike St in Reading, just off RR, is still in business. But something tells me it's gotten tamer since their first years, when "exotic dancers" were prominently mentioned in radio commercials. My hunch is based on all the uproar over the "Barbie Cue" mannequin in front of KT's.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,298 times
Reply to Smorgesteriauff's on Reading Rd. was a slot car racing enterprise prior to Duff's. It was vacant for some period after thye hobby slot car racing closed.Also, there was smorgesteria in the Gold Circle center contemporaneous with Duff's. King's bufffet? Royal Buffet?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Ann View Post
Why Not was in a mini plaza just south of Chili Time and across the street from Ron's. Ron and Gladys lived on that side street right next to it and it is possible that they owned that property too - but not sure on that one!
Something tells me that's the retail strip (with apartments above) which is on the realtors' Web sites lately: 7604 Reading Rd.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:41 PM

17,542 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Something tells me that's the retail strip (with apartments above) which is on the realtors' Web sites lately: 7604 Reading Rd.
Is that the building that used to house the 1st National Bank, a pharmacy on the corner, drs offics,?? Years and tears ago, used to be a pretty big poker game going on up stairs all the time and IIRC, a prostitute used to hang around there shooing all of us high school kids away

Song Long great Vietnamese restaurant in that building.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:41 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,618 times
Default Roselawn Center Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Is that the building that used to house the 1st National Bank, a pharmacy on the corner, drs offics,?? Years and tears ago, used to be a pretty big poker game going on up stairs all the time and IIRC, a prostitute used to hang around there shooing all of us high school kids away

Song Long great Vietnamese restaurant in that building.
Just checked Google maps. It looks like 7604 is one
door south of the Essex House, which would put it
across from the location of Ron's Hunt Club/Pilder's/beauty
shop/etc. This is north of Stonybrook and, by extension,
the whilom Chili Time site.

The building to the south of Chili Time, on the SE corner
with Section, is the Roselawn Center Bldg. I think a few
people commented on the poker games very early in the
thread, but the hooker standing watch sounds like a new
contribution.

Song Long: Would that have on the Section side, toward
the eastern side of the building? The Mandarin had that
site in the late 1960's, after moving up from North Avondale.
At some point in the 1980's, it became Ahn's Mandarin Garden.
When was/is Song Long there? 1990's?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Song Long is still at the Section/Brookcrest corner of the Roselawn Center Building, still drawing crowds too. They've been there at least 15 years. My pediatrician - although of the goyim tribe - had his practice upstairs at 7373 Brookcrest until the new modern state-of-the-art Sycamore Square office building (a landmark to this day for its green "bricks") opened. The cynic in me believes Sycamore Square was built as a lure to keep skittish doctors, dentists, and other businesspeople on Reading Rd if not within the city limits. In 1969 my dentist followed my doctor there, from Barry Lane in North Avondale. Nuff said.
7604 Reading is indeed adjacent to the Essex House. In the real estate ad photos you can see it on the opposite side of an alley.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM

17,542 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post

Song Long: Would that have on the Section side, toward
the eastern side of the building? The Mandarin had that
site in the late 1960's, after moving up from North Avondale.
At some point in the 1980's, it became Ahn's Mandarin Garden.
When was/is Song Long there? 1990's?
The Mandarin was owned by Mr Soon until his kids graduated college. The Mandarin was originally on Reading Road next door to Weils.

Yes, it is on Section Road. Soon sold it and it became a Korean Restaurant then Song Long. Song Long is the best Vietnamese food I have eaten.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The Mandarin was originally on Reading Road next door to Weils
Once upon a time, you could check into this life on Burnet Ave (Jewish Hospital) and then check out on Reading Rd (Weil Funeral Home.) Both community institutions, along with the JCC, have followed the northeastward path taken by many of their constituents. No news there. But it's appropriate, to my way of thinking anyway, that Weil's was the last of the three to pull up stakes. Do they still have a monopoly within the Jewish community? For the longest time, announcing the death of someone from that culture - out of the Enquirer obits - would bring the response, "...Weil Funeral Home, 3901 Reading Rd. That's where they all go."

Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,618 times
Default Old saw

Quote:
Once upon a time, you could check into this life on Burnet Ave (Jewish Hospital) and then check out on Reading Rd (Weil Funeral Home.)
The one I had heard a little different:

"Life begins at Bilker's and ends at Weil's."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati