Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

Hello! Firstly, just wanted to say I so appreciate all the experts on Cincinnati here at city-data! I've been learning a lot from ya.

We will be moving to Cincinnati area (hubby will be working near the N/Ky/Cincy airport) within the next year. I can find great school districts on the Greatschools site but I'm having problems figuring out which schools offer Orchestra. I have a budding cellist (in middle school) and I would HATE taking that away from him due to the move.

Any suggestions on which schools offer great orchestra programs or how to easily locate such?? THANKS!!!

PS. Oh, and I would entertain the idea of Northern Ky if they had orchestra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,947,710 times
we are lucky to have the only K-12 School for Creative and Performing Arts in the country. Brand new building, just opened this year - like yesterday - it is a $72 million school. It is the premier arts school in the region.

Lights, camera, opening day for SCPA | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,983,797 times
I haven't looked it up, but I think both Sycamore and Lakota school systems probably offer orchestra. SCPA is a performing arts magnet school and would be wonderful if your child is considering a professional career as a musician. If it's mostly something he does more for personal enjoyment, one of the other school systems may be a better bet.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,819,055 times
I believe you will find a number of local school systems who offer orchestra, though they may call it symphonic band. I know Mason does. One of my daughters went through the Mason system, started out on flute, and then switched to oboe as her primary instrument. The program impressed her enough she ended up going to Bowling Green Ohio as a Music Education Major. She wanted to go for Music Performance, I am the one who insisted on Music Education as a backup to provide her an avenue to what she enjoys. Just how many professional oboe players to you think there are in the US anyway?

These days, just about any school you may be interested in will have a web site. You should be able to find out information on the arts and music program there. For example, marching band - are they a competition band or just a casual band performing at athletic contests. There is quite a difference. Many schools have marching band in the fall during football season then switch to the orchestra during the winter months. Some of the larger schools have tryouts to qualify for positions in the music programs.

The SCPA is definitely unique, but should be for someone who has decided early on they are aiming at a professional music career.

My suggestion is look up the schools in general, then go to their specific web site and see what they promote for arts and music programs. These sites should also include personal contacts you can make to solicit answers to questions concerning what level, objectives, etc. you are inquiring to for your son.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe you will find a number of local school systems who offer orchestra, though they may call it symphonic band. I know Mason does. One of my daughters went through the Mason system, started out on flute, and then switched to oboe as her primary instrument. The program impressed her enough she ended up going to Bowling Green Ohio as a Music Education Major. She wanted to go for Music Performance, I am the one who insisted on Music Education as a backup to provide her an avenue to what she enjoys. Just how many professional oboe players to you think there are in the US anyway?

These days, just about any school you may be interested in will have a web site. You should be able to find out information on the arts and music program there. For example, marching band - are they a competition band or just a casual band performing at athletic contests. There is quite a difference. Many schools have marching band in the fall during football season then switch to the orchestra during the winter months. Some of the larger schools have tryouts to qualify for positions in the music programs.

The SCPA is definitely unique, but should be for someone who has decided early on they are aiming at a professional music career.

My suggestion is look up the schools in general, then go to their specific web site and see what they promote for arts and music programs. These sites should also include personal contacts you can make to solicit answers to questions concerning what level, objectives, etc. you are inquiring to for your son.
Your advice about checking web sites is good. The OP probably knows this, but symphonic bands do not include string instruments, though.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM

I hit send too soon, since the question made me curious so I did some searching. Lakota does not appear to have a program for string players. However, the VERY highly regarded Sycamore Schools does, as do Princeton High School and Winton Woods High School.

Within the Cincinnati Public Schools, in addition to SCPA--the magnet school for kids intending to pursue careers in the performing arts--Walnut Hills High School also offers orchestra. Walnut Hills is basically the magnet school for high academic achievers. I believe it's fairly competitive to get into both schools.

There are also several performance alternatives outside the public school system. The University of Cincinnati's music school, the College-Conservatory of Music, has a fine preparatory department: more information here:

College-Conservatory of Music: Preparatory Department (http://www.ccm.uc.edu/prep/music/ensembles.html - broken link)

Also check out Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
Welcome to the Middletown Symphony Orchestra! (http://www.middletownsymphony.com/Youth.html - broken link)
Blue Ash Youth Symphony Orchestra

Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,680,669 times
Sycamore, Walnut Hills (Cincinnati Publidc Schools), and SCPA (School for the Creative and Perfomring Arts also in Cincinnati Public) offer orchestra. I'm not sure which schools in northern Kentucky do, but I'd check out Fort Thomas and others there since the job is near the airport.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,493,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Sycamore, Walnut Hills (Cincinnati Publidc Schools), and SCPA (School for the Creative and Perfomring Arts also in Cincinnati Public) offer orchestra. I'm not sure which schools in northern Kentucky do, but I'd check out Fort Thomas and others there since the job is near the airport.

These are the three best choices.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,875,030 times
My alma mater Finneytown has a very good orchestra for a school its size and in general, a very exceptional performing arts department.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:46 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,947,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
My alma mater Finneytown has a very good orchestra for a school its size and in general, a very exceptional performing arts department.
Yes, I have also heard that about Finneytown. Coupled with affordable housing, it may be an excellent choice.

I think the comment that SCPA is for someone planning a career in the arts is really not true. SCPA has a full college-prep curriculum. Among their high-schoolers, they exceed state standards in the five core tested criteria - reading, math, etc.

I'm not saying to choose SCPA, but know that it is offers well-rounded academic program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati