Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,184,409 times

Advertisements

Ask Jackie Robinson if Cincinnati's the South. No, but it's literally touching it.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:47 PM

6,294 posts, read 10,998,935 times
Let's compromise then. We'll call it South Ohio. :-)

Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Depends. The Lower Midwest (Midlands) region essentially has that hybrid NY/PA settler + German influence (neither which is Southern) and the Great Lakes had more influence from New England settlers. Look at Cleveland as a fine example of this.

Of course even though Cleveland isn't the discussion here, let's admit that all the characteristics of being heavily German in settlement still make a place decidedly unSouthern. As jmecklenborg said, the attempt at recreating a West Indies style English aristocracy didn't exist in the North but that is what Southern culture was based around. If we take away the White dominance aspect of it, Cincinnati also lacks the rural Black aspect of the culture the South is also known for.

No matter how you arrive to the conclusion, culturally Cincinnati isn't Southern and never was.
True. The Cleveland area and NE OH was originally settled by people from Connecticut. Western Reserve is what it was called.

No question Cincy is not a part of the South or even a Southern city.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,531,211 times
There's a whole lot of people from the mountain regions and their foothills of the Eastern and Middle regions of Kentucky, Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, and West Virginia that have large populations in the mid sized factory towns of Central Indiana. Marion, Muncie, Anderson, Richmond, Kokomo, New Castle, Connersville, those cities and counties are filled with folks from that region of the South and their descendants. Those towns are known to be stops on "the Hillbilly Highway".

It's really not anymore unusal to detect a Kentucky twang than it is to detect a neutral twang in East Central Indiana.

Most of the black people that moved to East Central Indiana came from the Deep South, especially Alabama more than other Southern states. I know there use to be some really good late night barbecue places in the black section of Muncie known as Whitely. I well remember going to a bbq place in Whitely called QL's at 4am for some of the best bbq I ever had in my life.

Southern Culture is alive and well in those cities.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
There's a whole lot of people from the mountain regions and their foothills of the Eastern and Middle regions of Kentucky, Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, and West Virginia that have large populations in the mid sized factory towns of Central Indiana. Marion, Muncie, Anderson, Richmond, Kokomo, New Castle, Connersville, those cities and counties are filled with folks from that region of the South and their descendants. Those towns are known to be stops on "the Hillbilly Highway".

It's really not anymore unusal to detect a Kentucky twang than it is to detect a neutral twang in East Central Indiana.

Most of the black people that moved to East Central Indiana came from the Deep South, especially Alabama more than other Southern states. I know there use to be some really good late night barbecue places in the black section of Muncie known as Whitely. I well remember going to a bbq place in Whitely called QL's at 4am for some of the best bbq I ever had in my life.

In general I've found the people in the places you've mentioned to be more hospitable than the Indy metro area. Since I still work in Indy and go to some of these places every week I can attest to the fact these towns are a little different than the Indy metro area. Not sure I would call the culture southern but you do detect an accent at times.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,982,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Same applies to Chicago and a lot of the Great Lakes. Southern culture made it mostly everywhere.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Same applies to Chicago and a lot of the Great Lakes. Southern culture made it mostly everywhere.
A good analogy here. A lot of people from the south moved to the Hartford area around World War Two to take jobs in the manufacturing plants in the region. And also a lot of people from French Canada moved to the Hartford area in the first half of the 29th century. While they still have a presence in the region, it has not changed the local culture much at all. It's still New England. And Indiana is still Midwest despite some of the transplants and their descendants. And I think it is safe to say the same thing can be said for Cincinnati.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 PM

800 posts, read 943,967 times
Appalachians are not southern. There were no plantations in appalachia. Therefore there was not a concentration of wealth around an elite class seeking to replicate the english aristocracy.

West virginia did not have plantations. That's how it was able to secede from virginia.

Totally different economic system means a completely different culture.

End this stupid thread.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:01 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,982,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Appalachians are not southern. There were no plantations in appalachia. Therefore there was not a concentration of wealth around an elite class seeking to replicate the english aristocracy.

West virginia did not have plantations. That's how it was able to secede from virginia.

Totally different economic system means a completely different culture.

End this stupid thread.
Well the difference is that a good amount of Appalachian identify as Southern. But it is IRRELEVANT because Cincinnati isn't Appalachia!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,800,894 times
born and raised, its Midwest. Not south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati