Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 AM

14 posts, read 71,655 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family wants to relocate from Massachusetts to Ohio. We are looking for a nice, unpretentious Mid-Western lifestyle. I have list of particulars describing my "perfect town". Could you please look it over and let me know which areas I should be considering? So far I am thinking Shaker, Medina, and Lakewood, but I know that the locals will be able to look and my list and let me know if I'm on the mark or way off, and if there are other areas I should be considering.

Thanks so much!

Katie

My small town is a thriving “Main Street USA” kind of town. It’s not a tiny little small town, but rather a completely self sufficient large-small town or very small city.

There is a downtown business district, (larger than one block) with a combination of restaurants and NON TOURISTY shops. Some restaurants are casual, while others are upscale. A few of the shops can be touristy, but the majority are actual stores that residents of the town can shop at (five and dime, hardware, jewelry, barber shop, ice cream, blue plate café, pharmacy, dry cleaner, etc). The people of the community are friendly, regular everyday people, not pretentious. The schools are exceptional. The town is not depressed.

My town has:

A local movie theatre and a small historic hotel

A town square, with fountain and/or gazebo, surrounded by a business district

A community pool or beach

An active recreation department

Pond or lake where my son can fish

Tree lined streets of stately older homes

Friendly, regular everyday people, not pretentious

Community festivals, parades and outings

Block Parties

Live community theatre

“Walk to” activities and hangout for my older children

Access to a city

Climate: Four distinct seasons. Cold (not bitter) winters with average snowfall, not constant blizzards. Hot summers. Spring that lasts continually (not intermittent days here and there) from March through May. Falls with beautiful foliage and pumpkin /apple festivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 04:19 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,942 times
Have you considered entering that data at Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! You might have a better chance at finding something. You would just need to make sure you specifically tell it you're only looking for small cities and choose the midwest when prompted for the part of the country you prefer.

It's going to be tough to find a particular town or small city in Ohio that fits all your criteria, so you may need to compromise and choose what is the most important to you. More than likely, you're going to find something in one of the suburban cities of one of the major metros. You're also going to get a lot of differing opinions on this board. Right off-hand, the first places that come to my mind would be Zanesville, Oxford, Chillicothe, Waynesville - something like that. The farther northeast you go, the more likely you are to have colder, snowier winters.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:45 PM

122 posts, read 958,883 times
Mason & West Chester both fit your description (both northern suburbs of Cincinnati).

Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 PM

292 posts, read 993,489 times
Good Luck I can't think of any place around here that meets all those requirements. But plenty that meet most of them. Blue Ash comes to mind so does the Clifton Gas Light District of Cincinnati, Germantown, Oxford and Lebanon.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 PM

70 posts, read 270,984 times
I agree on Mason as well. It does have the best schools in the state as well as I know.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 AM

19 posts, read 74,109 times
I put a lot of thought into what you are seeking from Ohio and no one place meets all your criteria, but the closest match for SW Ohio might be Madeira (approx. 13 miles NE of Cincinnati), or Mariemont (pricey). Oxford is Postcard beautiful and a good college (Miami of Ohio). Across the river in N. Ky. consider Ft. Thomas. Sorry I can't speak to the north coast of Ohio, except they get a lot of winter snow being near lake Erie. Cleveland is a little like Buffalo, NY in that respect. Good Luck on your search.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 AM

36 posts, read 276,825 times
I live in the "Clifton Gas Light District" and love it. Love our movie theater too.

This may, or may not be what you want but definitely worth a look around. Eat lunch at one of the Indian restaurants or at Skyline Chili, then grab an ice cream cone at Greater's.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 AM

122 posts, read 958,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2divas View Post
I agree on Mason as well. It does have the best schools in the state as well as I know.
The term "best schools in the state" is subject to opinion, not a fact. Many schools in the area are rated "excellent" by the state of Ohio.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,939,481 times
I'm in Lebanon, you may want to consider moving here, the downtown is kind of touristy with all the antique shops, but it is well kept.

A local movie theatre and a small historic hotel

Yes

A town square, with fountain and/or gazebo, surrounded by a business district

Yes

A community pool or beach, Pond or lake where my son can fish

Caesars Creek State Park is 15 minutes away

Friendly, regular everyday people, not pretentious

Try Maine

Live community theatre

LTCplays.com - Lebanon Theatre Company Home Page

Access to a city

30 minutes from Cincinnati & Dayton

Tree lined streets of stately older homes

In some areas

Community festivals, parades and outings

Blues Festival & Classic Car Show in August, Apple Fest in September, Christmas Festival.

http://www.tastymojo.com/CincinnatiMojo/photos_pgp/827/PG10320070902134304781827.jpg (broken link)
http://www.tastymojo.com/CincinnatiMojo/photos_pgp/087/PG10320070902134305453087.jpg (broken link)
http://www.tastymojo.com/CincinnatiMojo/photos_pgp/297/PG10320070902134322250297.jpg (broken link)

More Info:
Lebanon Ohio Antique Dealers and Merchants Association

Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,939,481 times
I forgot to mention, we are 10 minutes away from Kings Island.

http://www.tastymojo.com/CincinnatiMojo/photos_pgp/157/PG15420070901125051281157.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati