Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 20,035 times

Advertisements

Hello i was checking how safe Lockland was today as me my wife and daughter are looking to move there to be close to my mother. My mother says the cove she lives in is very quite and hardly ever anything happens. But all the reports i have seen have Lockland as one of the higest crime rates around SW Cinn.

We are looking to buy a home across the street from my mother.

Am i missing something? Could someone who lives close to there shed any light on this for me?

I am just concerned for my family and do not wish to put them in a unsafe enviroment anymore than i have too.

The street we would live on is Dexter Ave.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times
Lockland has its share of solid streets where you can definately get some bang for your buck in a house but if I were you, I'd look for a house in its neighbor to the east, Reading. Houses cost relatively the same, but the community is safer, has more character, and the schools are better.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 AM

710 posts, read 3,045,265 times
or deer park

Old 07-28-2008, 01:26 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
I second the Reading, Ohio recommendation. I sometimes take drives down that way on my lunch break and there are some really cute little houses back on the streets off of Benson in the Bridal District. Every once in a while, I head across the bridge into Lockland and circle around the town square area across the street from The Stearns buildings they are currently tearing down. That part of Lockland looks extremely poor and run down but for some reason I return to that area. I think it's a really interesting place and I can imagine how it was once nice in a Mayberry kinda way. I'm not sure about the crime there but it seems quiet and I have seen some nice, well kept houses that must be a good value. There are plenty of Sears (1915-1920) style homes that would be worth 2 to 3 times as much if located anywhere else. But, yeah... Reading is close and is much nicer than Lockland.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM

9 posts, read 47,644 times
Default GinnyCF

No offence, you couldn't pay me to live in Lockland. Reading more towards Blue Ash is nice. Deer Park schools just won an excellence award. And the community is wonderful. All these areas ore only about 10 min. away. Seriously, Don't move to Lockland.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 AM

16 posts, read 51,477 times
All subsequent posts to Wooley's are 100% right on the money. That is, unless you like cops breathing down your neck over nothing while they ignore pill pushers and meth labs.

Deer Park would be an excellent choice. Even Blue Ash is close and quite nice, but they've got skittish cops like Lockland.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:52 AM

4 posts, read 20,035 times
Thank you all for your replys. The reason why i choose dexter ave in Lockland is mainly because my mother lives there and because we are getting an amazing deal on a home.

To be honest with what they pay the Military when we retire and until i can secure a solid job i am not sure i can turn it down.

I was just concerned about the safety of my family if we move there and suppose i still am.

I guess in the long run if we stay away from areas who arnt that perfect they will never get better.

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM

295 posts, read 973,958 times
I honestly don't think you will have any problems on that particular street. There is some problem areas in Lockland but I think you would find most of them on the west end and around a couple of rough looking bars I have seen on Wyoming Ave.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 AM

27 posts, read 105,994 times
I associate Lockland with working-class families, a place that has a few problems and rough spots but it not one of Cincinnati's worst neighborhoods by any means. I think it has a lot of people of Appalachian background, and Cincinnatians of other stripes are kind of freaked out by anything Appalachian-related. So I think Lockland's reputation may be worse than the reality.
I sometimes get my car fixed there.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
What about Hartwell? If not, Lockland does have a web apge that will give you some more info too.. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati