Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 PM

112 posts, read 152,543 times

Advertisements

The development along I-75 isn't really all that impressive to be perfectly honest. It's actually pretty minimal, but since it's concentrated around the highway, that's all you generally notice.

The way I view it is more like the various industrial cities between Cincinnati and Dayton (Hamilton, Middletown, Franklin, and Miamisburg) have sprawled a bit on their own, aided somewhat by I-75 being on their periphery. If those cities had not been there in the first place (and so far their presence hasn't suggested that Cincinnati and Dayton are a single metroplex), or if I-75 was another few miles east, I don't think we'd be having this discussion. If there was a nearly unbroken mass of sprawl from I-75 east to Morrow, Lebanon, and Waynesville, then I think we'd have something, but as it is that's still mostly country, and will likely remain so save for the immediate I-75 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakucyk View Post
The development along I-75 isn't really all that impressive to be perfectly honest. It's actually pretty minimal, but since it's concentrated around the highway, that's all you generally notice.

The way I view it is more like the various industrial cities between Cincinnati and Dayton (Hamilton, Middletown, Franklin, and Miamisburg) have sprawled a bit on their own, aided somewhat by I-75 being on their periphery. If those cities had not been there in the first place (and so far their presence hasn't suggested that Cincinnati and Dayton are a single metroplex), or if I-75 was another few miles east, I don't think we'd be having this discussion. If there was a nearly unbroken mass of sprawl from I-75 east to Morrow, Lebanon, and Waynesville, then I think we'd have something, but as it is that's still mostly country, and will likely remain so save for the immediate I-75 corridor.
this is a good point. for most of us, all we ever see of butler county is what is within a few hundred feet of i-75. if we could ask a bird what he thought of butler county, he would probably say, "it's farmland."

Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
Quote:

Very true. It's also in the way housing developments away from I-75 tend to become less and less dense. Eventually, there is nothing but farms and 5-10 acre tract homes. Even in a place like Warren County along its border with Clinton, it is still very rural.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
Quote:

And if I-75 was a few more miles west?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
And if I-75 was a few more miles west?
I think where the highway is - especially on/off ramps, you are going to have some sort of business or growth. Most of the deveopment around 75 is partly because a town was already there but a lot of it you have to credit to the Interstate being there. If it was a little further West, Hamilton would most likely be the same city it was before the Interstate system and not a shell of what used to be.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM

73 posts, read 158,053 times
My Cincy-Dayton experience:

1) I-75 North of Cincy.....boring Americana, MacMansion, cookie cutter apts. Then nothing.
2) Whoa, Pre-Burnt Jesus! Calling Fair Catch...
3) Outskirts of Dayton....coolest building in the land - The dayton newspaper bldg. So that's why Hal McCoy never left for the big city
4) Dayton. WTF. Makes Lexington look hopping. Nice 2 block area where there's 3 bars/restaurnats putting on airs. Reminds me of towns with 40K populations.

I suspect Daytonians like it that way, and bless 'em. But no way no how is Dayton a part of Cincinnati. West Chester is stretching it. They can have em.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
I guess I look at it this way. Look at other metroplexes that have sprawled together. You look at Dallas-Fort Worth, Miami to West Palm, and I don't give it long before Austin and San Antonio grow together. I large part it's all thanks to the interstate systems that have helped encourage sprawl. Miami to West Palm sprawls all the way to Stuart and then some. Look at the BosWash corridor. They all practically have merged as one. The interstate system has advanced sprawl and merging more than anything.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincity View Post
You need to get off the freeways and the main drags and explore a little. Wake up and smell the Milano's!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM

183 posts, read 634,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincity View Post

1) I-75 North of Cincy.....boring Americana, MacMansion, cookie cutter apts. Then nothing.
2) Whoa, Pre-Burnt Jesus! Calling Fair Catch...
3) Outskirts of Dayton....coolest building in the land - The dayton newspaper bldg. So that's why Hal McCoy never left for the big city
4) Dayton. WTF. Makes Lexington look hopping. Nice 2 block area where there's 3 bars/restaurnats putting on airs. Reminds me of towns with 40K populations.

I suspect Daytonians like it that way, and bless 'em. But no way no how is Dayton a part of Cincinnati. West Chester is stretching it. They can have em.
I don't know about that. Lexington is a nice place, but you can tell it's not quite a prime time large city (I'm assuming you are talking about Lexington, KY). That's not to say that Dayton can compete with the likes of Cincinnati or Columbus, but I'd say it's a bit better than Lexington, unless you are big into horse racing.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You need to get off the freeways and the main drags and explore a little. Wake up and smell the Milano's!
OK, next City-Data meetup's at Milano's. But only if Ohiogirl81 will come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati