Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times

Advertisements

It's curious that the Enquirer would unearth and link 14 pages' worth of articles about what happened 31 years ago at that Who concert now (and not before.) But they did:

Cincinnati Enquirer coverage of the Who concert incident on Dec. 3, 1979

I'd moved to Massachusetts only weeks before this happened, and the shock was felt here as well. Adolescents have always been less inhibited about striking up conversations with newly encountered peers. "People my age" bombarded me with questions and expressed sadness and concern when I told them I was from Cincinnati. No young adult in the whole country, I think it's safe to say, wanted to believe what had taken place - because, as one of the articles at the time noted, it could've happened anywhere.

One of the concertgoers who died was from Wyoming. My family had known his since before he was born. Both my younger sisters went to school with him. Though he and they weren't close friends, they enjoyed knowing him enough that one of my sis's actually broke down between classes the next day and bailed for home. Since this was before the era of "crisis intervention teams" and "grief counselors," long stretches of time were passed in silence at the high school. His teachers put aside their lesson plans and allowed for either free-form discussions or simple quiet. The school's flag was lowered to half-mast for several days. It's never an easy thing to handle when someone that young loses their life, but the community was traumatized all the more because of how senseless this loss was. Finneytown was hit even worse, since three kids from there were killed that night.

This anniversary, like few others, stirs up a lot of memories for me. Undoubtedly there are folks here who can say the same. "Let's talk about it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
My then wife, 5 feet tall and newly pregnant, went down to the Who concert way ahead of time with her brothers and sisters to get right up to the gates so they would be at the very front when the gates opened. They were just ahead of the trampled victims and did not even know what happened until people at the concert heard it on the radio and spread the word. Lucky break.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
It's probably for the best that cellphones, Twitter, etc hadn't been invented. I don't want to even think about the scene that would've been caused if instant messaging was available. Many were the stories of people who were on their way home before they found out by switching on the radio. A lot of them were steering to the side of the expressway or street or whatever to "take it all in." Pay-phone coin boxes quickly filled up from kids' making hasty calls home to reassure loved ones they were OK. It was all a true case of "there but for the grace of God..."

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I remember two of my then teenage children raising a fit since I would not let them go to the concert. When I learned of the what did they call it festival seating? I told my kids it would be a mess and they were not allowed to go. Little did I expect what transpired. As has been said "but for the grace of God..."

Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 AM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
My aunt went to the concert and I remember the family being worried when the news broke. Like you said, there weren't cell phones back in the day so it was a sit and wait and hope she comes home. Fortunately she was okay.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
I remember that day... it was the day I grew my first baby tooth.

Also, I had two uncles at the concert, and they still don't like to talk about it much.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Good friend's son was there. He was actually pulled out of his boot(s?)

He went into the concert and didn't know that kids were killed.

We were with his mom and dad who worried out of their minds until he got home late that night.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
i remember it on the news

Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 PM

246 posts, read 1,048,521 times
When the news bulletin broke on TV that night, my first thought was "Oh no, they've killed the hostages." Because, as you may remember, the Who tragedy occurred right in the middle of the Iranian Hostage crisis.

Another thing I remember was Al Shottlekotte, the TV news guy, reporting on the story . . . then he said something like ". . . and on a personal note, one of my sons attended the concert tonight -- and we have not yet gotten a call from us telling us that he's safe." A rare personal moment.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 AM

25 posts, read 56,725 times
I had a ticket to the show and a final exam that night. So I went to the instructor and took the exam early to go see the show. (Even if I was going to be little late.)
It was a long one and I took a few extra minutes to check it all the answers and when I got downtown the mayhem was evident. The timeline of the night escapes me now but I still think the 20 minutes to reread everything was a blessing. It was an awful site when I got to the concourse and to this day the fear of a repeat of the crush in a crowd anywhere.
BTW my aunt an California called to see if my brother or I was there long before any local news broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati