Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Memo to self: next house MUST not have steep driveway.
Ah yes, after fighting a rather steep driveway in our first house for over 10 years, I had enough. It was not only steep but went down to the back of the house into a large apron, also sloped, and then the garage entrance from the rear.

One evening, after a rather heavy all day snow, I came home and saw some curious tracks across the back yard, also sloped, into the fence. The wife had backed off the apron. Got the idea if she just backed up a little more could get some traction on fresh snow. After doing this completely across the back yard, she called a tow truck to pull her out. It was the ruts from the heavy tow truck which required significant repair the next spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Global warming results in more snow and ice and colder weather. It been going on for ten years. I saw it on CNN.
Not sure whether it is your view, but I definitely believe this is true. Global warming in its current stage is causing extremes in weather patterns. Much hotter and dryer summers. More extreme temperature swings in winter with snow and ice. The main cause of this are the shifts in the jet streams. And yes, there are multiple jet streams, both in the North and Southern Hemispheres. So studying their overall effect is a bit complicated.

The current Northern Hemisphere jet stream has dipped so far south over the US as to bring 27 degree weather to Tampa, FL this morning. And as you say it is only early December, not even winter yet.

The argument concerning Global Warming versus normal cyclical trends will be ongoing. But, like everything else, I question whether the motives of both the pros and the cons are strictly a product of scientific research and interpretation or just good old human greed. There are huge sums of money hanging on the balance in the energy sector.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Not sure whether it is your view, but I definitely believe this is true. Global warming in its current stage is causing extremes in weather patterns. Much hotter and dryer summers. More extreme temperature swings in winter with snow and ice. The main cause of this are the shifts in the jet streams. And yes, there are multiple jet streams, both in the North and Southern Hemispheres. So studying their overall effect is a bit complicated.

The current Northern Hemisphere jet stream has dipped so far south over the US as to bring 27 degree weather to Tampa, FL this morning. And as you say it is only early December, not even winter yet.

The argument concerning Global Warming versus normal cyclical trends will be ongoing. But, like everything else, I question whether the motives of both the pros and the cons are strictly a product of scientific research and interpretation or just good old human greed. There are huge sums of money hanging on the balance in the energy sector.
Just kidding. Changes in the Earth's climate are caused by solar activities such as sun spots and the occasional cataclysmic Earth event every 500,000 or million years. Not spray cans and harmless CO2. When I was in college, the professors were decrying the coming Ice Age when we would all be freezing to death and there would be worldwide starvation. They know no more about it now than they did then. The proponents of anthropomorphic global warming just have better media today.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 AM

405 posts, read 891,667 times
Default re: cold winters, global warning

I can't count the number of times I've heard people make fun of global warming by pointing out that its colder outside than normal.

People have a pretty simplistic idea of meteorology and they see colder weather as a refutation of the hypothesis!

Nature of course is oblivious to human thought. Once the outcome is clear to everyone it will likely be too late to reverse.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Ah yes, after fighting a rather steep driveway in our first house for over 10 years, I had enough. It was not only steep but went down to the back of the house into a large apron, also sloped, and then the garage entrance from the rear.

One evening, after a rather heavy all day snow, I came home and saw some curious tracks across the back yard, also sloped, into the fence. The wife had backed off the apron. Got the idea if she just backed up a little more could get some traction on fresh snow. After doing this completely across the back yard, she called a tow truck to pull her out. It was the ruts from the heavy tow truck which required significant repair the next spring.
And, that is why winching is so much preferable to tow trucks. Here is one of my vehicles recovering a Jeep from a creek at the bottom of a pretty steep hill:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,018 times
Let's see, occasionally it gets bitterly cold (January temperature levels) in early to mid December, but not commonly. This is unusually cold for this calendar date.

In 2004, the tristate was slammed with a very bad snowstorm immediately before Christmas.

The combination this early (before Dec 15th) is quite unusual, but not abnormal. These conditions in January would be considered average snowfall and low-average temperatures.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 AM

That is true, but it is not January. This is still only December and not even officially winter yet. I hope it is not a harbinger of what is still coming. Last February I wore out one snow shovel, bought a replacement two weeks ago. I have a snow blower, but it seems to be more trouble than its worth.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM

279 posts, read 718,414 times
More snow! Woot!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM

Wannabe Jackass stars were on the move this morning. I woke up at 4:00AM to find a pickup truck doing donuts at the corner and then head into the Park. Only then did I notice the guy who was being pulled shoe surfing at the end of a 40 foot rope.

No ambulance sirens so I guess everything worked out OK.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 AM

279 posts, read 718,414 times
Wow...I have and continue to do dumb stuff but thats off the charts...you would be screwed if your shoe/foot got sunk into a pothole or something and twisted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati