Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 PM

405 posts, read 893,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Where does MLK cross Observatory? I thought that Observatory dead ended at Madison.
It is the same road, yes it is called Madison, not MLK where it intersects Observatory where the armed robbery occurred. Nothing else was incorrect about what I said. It was a brazen armed robbery in the middle of Hyde Park on a seemingly calm Sunday afternoon.

In my opinion an armed robbery in a place where they rarely occur instantly drops the worth of a nearby house by at least 25,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Doesn't.

I had three break-ins in Walnut Hills and moved. Genius burglars. Took a hand made Tiffany silver candy dish off of a $15 speaker that weighed 20 pounds and took the speaker and left the Tiffany piece. Also walked off with a 3000ml flask full of pennies. Probably $18. At least they took my Sony 650 10" reel to reel tape deck. When the insurance company went to replace it, all they could find was a professional 10" model costing $1700. I took the money instead.
Were you in Walnut Hills or "East" Walnut Hills?

I often wonder where these burglars cash in all these electronics they steal. For example, phones (if they sell them at all, I constantly hear they are stolen). If you could stop the trade in stolen goods...well, I suppose that is hopeless.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,541,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Were you in Walnut Hills or "East" Walnut Hills?

I often wonder where these burglars cash in all these electronics they steal. For example, phones (if they sell them at all, I constantly hear they are stolen). If you could stop the trade in stolen goods...well, I suppose that is hopeless.

East. Cleinview.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,994,229 times
Quote:
Doesn't.

I had three break-ins in Walnut Hills and moved. Genius burglars. Took a hand made Tiffany silver candy dish off of a $15 speaker that weighed 20 pounds and took the speaker and left the Tiffany piece. Also walked off with a 3000ml flask full of pennies. Probably $18. At least they took my Sony 650 10" reel to reel tape deck. When the insurance company went to replace it, all they could find was a professional 10" model costing $1700. I took the money instead.
They tore up and broke a nice little wooden jewelry chest that had sentimental value to me BUT DID NOT STEAL THE JEWELRY inside. I didn't have anything of much value, but there were some modest sized gold rings and earrings, etc. Who breaks into a house and leaves that?? What they did take was lighter-weight electronics and a couple of men's leather jackets. Probably kids. Creepy anyway.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 PM

4,890 posts, read 13,876,968 times
Cleinview Ave seems to stay perpetually on the WH/EWH "frontier," a pleasant street to look at and live on but a stone's throw from ghettoland. You can't beat it for convenience to the New Thought Unity Center, though, if that's where your spiritual community is.
The street's probably most notorious for being where the last Cincinnati Strangler slaying occurred - and it was theorized that that was a "copycat" crime. The prime suspect was in custody at the time, and the Cleinview victim was the only one who was African-American. Forty-plus years later, the neighborhood remains "mixed" and - as mentioned above - on the threshold between "good" and "bad" in Walnut Hills.

In 2002 I was robbed at gunpoint on a nearby street in the wee hours of the morning, and in '03 I ran a would-be burglar out of my house. Both incidents were chalked up to "life in the city," and nothing else worth mentioning crime-wise has happened to me during the 22 years I've been in this neighborhood. Property values definitely haven't been affected - this in response to the stated belief that they would be.
The other time I wound up on the wrong end of a gun, I was in Wyoming (yes, Wyoming Ohio.) And one of the two successful B & E's I've experienced happened in the apartment I was sharing in a largely upscale Boston inner-ring suburb. Experience has taught me that risks in "bad" areas are often overstated, while they're understated in "good" ones.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM

I said I was broken into three times on Cleinview. I did not relate the scariest moment there. I got a little twitchy after the second break in and was on guard when I was in the house. One night I heard a little rustling outside and decided to take a peek. I squeezed in right up to the window and put my eyes right up to the blind and very carefully tilted one of the blinds to see out. What I saw were a pair of eyes not 3" from mine looking back at me. Since the ground was about a foot below the floor inside I estimate the guy at 6'6" or taller. And his head looked like a giant animal mask it was so big.

That scared the crap out of me. Him too apparently as he took off in a hurry. But the next time they actually got in, about a year later, I was done.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,994,229 times
Quote:
I said I was broken into three times on Cleinview. I did not relate the scariest moment there. I got a little twitchy after the second break in and was on guard when I was in the house. One night I heard a little rustling outside and decided to take a peek. I squeezed in right up to the window and put my eyes right up to the blind and very carefully tilted one of the blinds to see out. What I saw were a pair of eyes not 3" from mine looking back at me. Since the ground was about a foot below the floor inside I estimate the guy at 6'6" or taller. And his head looked like a giant animal mask it was so big.

That scared the crap out of me. Him too apparently as he took off in a hurry. But the next time they actually got in, about a year later, I was done.
OMG. I'd live in a one-room efficiency apartment before I'd deal with living like that. Or in Deerfield Township. haha.

Seriously, I know we have crime statistics and all, but I still like to mull this stuff over on a more case-by-case basis. I wonder if as compared to your experience, you're less likely to have break-ins if you own one of the nondescript, modest, smallish post-war houses on 50 foot lots that abound in Cincinnati and that look exactly like all the rest of the ones on the street of other $100,000 houses--a sort of invisibility as it were.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,732,047 times
Quote:

That would scare the **** outta me!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that sounds pretty scary but would be even worse to wake up in your bed and have someone staring at you.

Did you have a security system? Are we talking about professional burglars who can disable systems, or "smash and grab" types?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Yeah, that sounds pretty scary but would be even worse to wake up in your bed and have someone staring at you.

Did you have a security system? Are we talking about professional burglars who can disable systems, or "smash and grab" types?
I sure do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati