Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 PM

405 posts, read 892,223 times

Advertisements

Man was found fatally shot at 1041 Foraker Ave, which is visible from MLK as you approach Gilbert.

I drive past this location every day and have seen it decline in the last year, with what appears to be a crack or drug house just across the street from this location. Lots of people hanging out all times of day and night.

I've said before that I don't think walnut Hills or East walnut Hills are looking so great. I find it depressing to drive through there every day, actually, and see the blight and hopelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,848,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Man was found fatally shot at 1041 Foraker Ave, which is visible from MLK as you approach Gilbert...I find it depressing to drive through there every day, actually, and see the blight and hopelessness.
That part of Walnut Hills has been in sad condition for a long time. I think the construction of MLK Dr served to make it all the more visible for a much larger number of people. Some of the buildings on streets you pass look like they haven't been occupied for decades, which may not be far off the mark since the neighborhood was heavily damaged during the unrest in the late '60s. The redevelopment which is occurring is confined to the pockets around DeSales Corner and along or south of McMillan St.
To this observer it looks like most of the money and a lot of the energy from City Hall are aimed at the unlikely goal of making the entirety of Over-the-Rhine (not just the "Gateway Quarter") a yuppie magnet. Coming in second are the dubiously necessary road constructions projects in Oakley and Mt Lookout, both already perceived as good places to live and be seen in. And then, of course, there's The Banks. In the meantime Walnut Hills, Avondale, Cumminsville, et. al. keep rotting; Westwood yells and screams while few listen; Roselawn slides farther towards being Woes Lawn; on and on.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 PM

405 posts, read 892,223 times
Default re decline of WH

Yes, I think you are right. I suppose there is only so much development money to go around.

However the effect of this ongoing decline on East Walnut Hills and even further east is not good IMO. And from the north Evanston also pressures East Walnut Hills and O Bryonville. In Hyde Park we have had some brazen bank roberies, a mid day armed robbery at the corner of MLK and observatory, and the other day a mid-night smash and rob $100,000 jewelry grab in Hyde Park Square.

I guess there are a lot of holes and not so many fingers to plug them. Tough times.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,985,078 times
I read somewhere that even several years ago, daytime break-ins where no one is home had become pretty common in East Walnut Hills. That happened to me once many years ago and I still remember the very unpleasant feeling of thinking about someone being in my house, rifling through my stuff, and breaking, vandalizing and stealing things. Yeah, many of the homes there are drop-dead beautiful, but to me it wouldn't be worth it.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,500,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I read somewhere that even several years ago, daytime break-ins where no one is home had become pretty common in East Walnut Hills. That happened to me once many years ago and I still remember the very unpleasant feeling of thinking about someone being in my house, rifling through my stuff, and breaking, vandalizing and stealing things. Yeah, many of the homes there are drop-dead beautiful, but to me it wouldn't be worth it.
They have private patrolling security on Dexter, Annwood and across Madison on Beech Crest and Keys Crescent. They still get car break-ins.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 AM

279 posts, read 718,930 times
I too know the feeling of a home break in...I agree Sarah its quite disturbing and unpleastant to think some motherf*cker had been in my house taking the shlt I work to have. I also have so many car break in stories I can't even remember anymore.

I think at a certain point I just accepted that some people who don't have crap will steal it from others. There is nowhere to live that escapes this. It happens in poor neighborhoods and rich ones. The only thing you can do is protect yourself. Home security system - check. Don't even have a radio or a penny in my car to steal - check.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,985,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
I too know the feeling of a home break in...I agree Sarah its quite disturbing and unpleastant to think some motherf*cker had been in my house taking the shlt I work to have. I also have so many car break in stories I can't even remember anymore.

I think at a certain point I just accepted that some people who don't have crap will steal it from others. There is nowhere to live that escapes this. It happens in poor neighborhoods and rich ones. The only thing you can do is protect yourself. Home security system - check. Don't even have a radio or a penny in my car to steal - check.
No place is immune, but there are a lot of things you can do to make it more likely somebody else's house will get chosen instead of yours. That house was a sitting duck, on a busy street that provided quick, anonymous getaways, but also where it was abundantly obvious when no one was home and with a secluded side door on which we had never installed a dead bolt.

In my current neighborhood, I don't think there's been a breakin in the 10 years we've been here, other than a case where a teenage daughter's rogue ex-boyfriend came looking for some jewelry he knew was in the house. I think criminals' perception that they might be observed in the neighborhood, and lack of convenient routes of egress are both a real positive.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
In Hyde Park we have had some brazen bank roberies, a mid day armed robbery at the corner of MLK and observatory, and the other day a mid-night smash and rob $100,000 jewelry grab in Hyde Park Square. .
Where does MLK cross Observatory? I thought that Observatory dead ended at Madison.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM

279 posts, read 718,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
No place is immune, but there are a lot of things you can do to make it more likely somebody else's house will get chosen instead of yours. That house was a sitting duck, on a busy street that provided quick, anonymous getaways, but also where it was abundantly obvious when no one was home and with a secluded side door on which we had never installed a dead bolt.

In my current neighborhood, I don't think there's been a breakin in the 10 years we've been here, other than a case where a teenage daughter's rogue ex-boyfriend came looking for some jewelry he knew was in the house. I think criminals' perception that they might be observed in the neighborhood, and lack of convenient routes of egress are both a real positive.
Yep, my house was a giveaway too...they had probably been watching, knew we had just moved in with a buncha nice electronics. To think one of those *******s is watching my sweet 50 inch Samsung just boils me still...oh well. Probably sold it for dirt cheap on the black market.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,500,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Where does MLK cross Observatory? I thought that Observatory dead ended at Madison.
Doesn't.

I had three break-ins in Walnut Hills and moved. Genius burglars. Took a hand made Tiffany silver candy dish off of a $15 speaker that weighed 20 pounds and took the speaker and left the Tiffany piece. Also walked off with a 3000ml flask full of pennies. Probably $18. At least they took my Sony 650 10" reel to reel tape deck. When the insurance company went to replace it, all they could find was a professional 10" model costing $1700. I took the money instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati