Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,918 times

Advertisements

I worked at the Squire Jack's in Reading on Columbia (just off of Reading Road by the IGA) in the Summer of 1978. I was all of 15 years old. That particular location went out of business because THERE WAS NO BUSINESS. I we were lucky we'd get 6 customers a day.

Good chicken breast sandwiches (their "CB" sandwich) though - dipped in buttermilk, a flour and spice mixture, more buttermilk, more flour - then deep into the grease. Their fish sandwiches (available with either a single or double slab of fish that was about 8 inches long, 1 inch wide and half an inch thick) were called "Sea Monster sandwiches". And they WERE big - almost like a Subway sub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,822,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineinva View Post
I worked at the Squire Jack's in Reading on Columbia (just off of Reading Road by the IGA) in the Summer of 1978. I was all of 15 years old. That particular location went out of business because THERE WAS NO BUSINESS. I we were lucky we'd get 6 customers a day.

Good chicken breast sandwiches (their "CB" sandwich) though - dipped in buttermilk, a flour and spice mixture, more buttermilk, more flour - then deep into the grease. Their fish sandwiches (available with either a single or double slab of fish that was about 8 inches long, 1 inch wide and half an inch thick) were called "Sea Monster sandwiches". And they WERE big - almost like a Subway sub.

Since a Subway Sub is about 80% bread, how do you compare them? I just love the pictures of Subway Subs in their commercials. A loaf of bread sliced on one side only. The other side is not even sliced through and therefore has about zero contribution to the sandwich. Open the sliced side and give the impression there is actually some ingredients there. At least Burger King, Wendy's, McDonalds, etc. do not sucker you with this subterfuge.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM

I have to admit Squire Jacks was my favorite in their heyday. I loved their fish sandwich with the vinager sprinkled on it. But it had to be consumed hot. If allowed to get cold, it rapidly became revolting. I am not sure quite why, but perhaps it was the way the breading on the fish congealed. But when hot it had a taste noone else matched. I used to drive from Madeira to the store in Silverton and then to the one in Montgomery. It seemed to me they were shortlived and deserved better.

We still have a Long John Silvers here in the Mason area. To me that is another blast from the past. I have lived in Mason for 37 years and cannot remember when the Long John Silvers was not here. For the life of me I cannot believe how they have hung on. I hear some of their national commercials stating 2 dinners for $10. I will admit they have my interest. If I can actually get 2 decent dinners for $10 I will have to give them the nod. It is time for me to give them another try.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM

311 posts, read 1,756,305 times
Default The Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I have to admit Squire Jacks was my favorite in their heyday. I loved their fish sandwich with the vinager sprinkled on it. But it had to be consumed hot. If allowed to get cold, it rapidly became revolting. I am not sure quite why, but perhaps it was the way the breading on the fish congealed. But when hot it had a taste noone else matched. I used to drive from Madeira to the store in Silverton and then to the one in Montgomery. It seemed to me they were shortlived and deserved better
Roger that. There was a Squire Jack's in Roselawn, next to Old Town ice cream. It probably went up on the site of the old Fish Fair, if anyone can remember that far back. Their batter was superior to that of the then-rival chain, Arthur Treacher's. Also really liked their shrimp. Seem to recall Frisch's offering a fish-and-chips dish as competition not long after the chains came in.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 AM

I believe Squire Jack's was a local chain.

Arthur Treacher's was founded in Columbus, expanded widely, moved first to Youngstown, went into and emerged from bankruptcy, and is now headquartered in Jacksonville Florida. There are still a number of stores spread across several northern states. Arthur Treacher never had a large presence in Cincinnati, I feel due to Squire Jack's. In the 70s the fish franchise expanded considerably with Long John Silver's, Captain Ds, and Skippers all starting up. Long John Silver's and Arthur Treachers became the two largest chains.

The late 1970s brought a big change in the form of icelandic cod fish pricing. Iceland realized overfishing was becoming a problem and imposed a 200 mile fishing limit from their shore as being under their control. Iceland and England came close to war over this. The price of cod almost doubled. Many of the chains had to regroup. If I remember right this is about the time Squire Jack's gave up the ghost.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,537,896 times
Long John Silver still holding strong I believe.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,847,369 times
How "strong" the Long John Silver's business may be is difficult to say. Over time the number of their outlets has dwindled. Usually the dine-in space is completely empty although the "nautical" theme makes it more conducive to relaxing than many fast food restaurants. When I've been to the ones in Erlanger, St Bernard, and Cheviot there's been zero wait in the drive-thru line either. But this could tie in to the time of day also. (In Weirton, WV, it was about 2:45 in the afternoon when I stopped in to the LJS there for a late lunch. The employees were itchin' to close out their shift. So three occupied tables and next to no drive-thru customers didn't signify much.) After seeing the over-the-top holiday light displays [see separate thread] on West Galbraith Rd one night late last month we found ourselves in a quickly-moving but long line of vehicles at the NCH location despite the 8-o'clock hour. Based on all this I'd wager that Long John Silver's has seen better days but is hanging on well enough if not making tons o' money.

The Red Lobster chain is struggling (not that their food is any "great shakes") and the other fast food giants offer nothing more along the lines of seafood than a token fish sandwich reminiscent of the school cafeteria. Although I still LOVE me some Long John Silver's in spite of how the servings have shrunk, is the collective American taste - as if there were such a thing - shifting away from what the ocean offers? Over the past year or so it seems nothing is safe from having bacon added. Epic battles break out between the national chains over which sells the best hamburger ("Ours has Angus beef!" "Ours contains more meat!") Never mind all the local joints' vying for the title. The appetite for pizza seems as insatiable as ever. One steak house after another throws open its doors, whether it be an Outback or a Jeff Ruby venture or a national-chain outlet or none of the above. Considering the depleted state of all too many populations of sea creatures this may not be a bad thing.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Those who believe the fish franchise business has some strength, please expound on it.

There is a Long John Silvers outlet not far from me. I believe in the 37 years I have lived here, I have been in there exactly once. Can't even remember what I thought of the place then. Obviously not enough to go back.

My wife found a local pub/restaurant, the Old Bag of Nails which has opened up close to us. Their specialty is Fish & Chips, Ummm Good. So now I have two choices for local dinner fare when we are too lazy to fix our own. The first is the Old Bag of Nails for Fish & Chips. An alternative may be their authentic Corned Beef Reuben. My second selection is Blue Ash Chili and their fabulous Ham & Beef Double Decker. Between the two I am happy as a lark. So Long John Silvers or any of the other fast food outlets are not likely to see me soon.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,705,716 times
A Captain D's in Kettering is booming on weekend evenings and other specific times of the week. Although over the years they have degraded the quality of their stuff. I agree, though, the fast food fish business is pretty much dead.

I think places that specialized in fried fish and chips did well back in the 70s when consumer's palates were not as jaded and seeking faux elegance. That was the era when fast food roast beef such as Arby's was actually good (it hadn't degraded into shaved formed beef bologna yet.)

Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,984,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
A Captain D's in Kettering is booming on weekend evenings and other specific times of the week. Although over the years they have degraded the quality of their stuff. I agree, though, the fast food fish business is pretty much dead.

I think places that specialized in fried fish and chips did well back in the 70s when consumer's palates were not as jaded and seeking faux elegance. That was the era when fast food roast beef such as Arby's was actually good (it hadn't degraded into shaved formed beef bologna yet.)
People are more concerned about eating a lot of that deep-fried breading now, too, no matter how tasty it is. And the fast food environment isn't an ideal one for serving fish prepared in less calorific ways. I keep intending to try one of the newer broiled fish offerings, but I never do, probably because it's so easy to make at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati