Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times

Advertisements

La Rosa's has fish for lent. I tried some and it was really, really good. Like maybe the best fish and chips I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
There is a small Israeli restaurant across the street from the Dillonvale shopping center called the Kinneret Cafe that has fantastic fish sandwiches among other Israeli/Mediterranean options. In fact, there is no meat (other than fish) on the entire menu. They do close at 2 PM on Fridays for religious reasons so they are not really an option for Friday dinners in Lent.

While my favorite item is probably the King David Panini (avocado and tuna on ciabatta (sp?) bread), the fish and chips is wonderful as well. Since my wife is a fish eating vegetarian, Kinneret is a common destination for us when we don't feel like cooking dinner.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
There is a small Israeli restaurant across the street from the Dillonvale shopping center called the Kinneret Cafe that has fantastic fish sandwiches among other Israeli/Mediterranean options. In fact, there is no meat (other than fish) on the entire menu. They do close at 2 PM on Fridays for religious reasons so they are not really an option for Friday dinners in Lent.

While my favorite item is probably the King David Panini (avocado and tuna on ciabatta (sp?) bread), the fish and chips is wonderful as well. Since my wife is a fish eating vegetarian, Kinneret is a common destination for us when we don't feel like cooking dinner.

Good fish or no, this is a really good find. Authentic Mediterranean in a kosher restaurant.

I'll be there at the next opportunity. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
There was a time when I would have argued Frisch's fish sandwiche would walk with the best of them. But after my recent experience, no more. A few weeks ago I decided one night to go to our local Frisch's and get some fish sandwiches for dinner. We are kind of weird as we like the fish sandwiches along with carryout bowls of their chili which we smother in saltines.

What a disappointment! The fish sandwiches were horrible! They were below the quality of Mrs. Paul's fish sticks. Being the low-keyed type of guy I am, I got on the Frisch website and sent them a message detailing my dismay over their product. I got the perfunctory response thanking me for my concerns and then a followup telephone call from the local store manager. He had more excuses and explanations than you can count. Not satisfied, I again sent a message to corporate again detailing my disappointment and requesting someone higher up the food chain respond. I did get a response from Karen Maier, who I believe is currently marketing manager. She once again thanked me for my concerns and assured they had not changed vendors, etc. which would result in any change in their fish sandwiche and would be investigating what had gone wrong. Several days later I get a gift certificate card in the mail.

Yesterday I decide to give it another try. I was by myself as the wife and her caregiver were up at the Mason Community Center and then off to the store. About 1:00 PM I went through the drive-thru at the local Frisch's and ordered a fish sandwiche for $4.90. My first clue it was not going to be great was when they handed it to me about 15 seconds later. Obviously it had been sitting under a warming lamp. About the quality of my prior visit - horrible! Way too much breading, which after sitting had the consistency of paste. The fish itself had very little actual body, again a good emulation of Mrs. Paul's fish sticks, and even less taste. So once again I got on the website and sent them a scorching message. From my posts on other threads I know you can recognize I have been a staunch defender of Frisch's. Part of this is due to my having relatives who owned Frisch franchises, and I recognize how hard they worked to keep their food quality up. And their hard work paid off, as they earned a very good living from the franchises.

I have had it. $4.90 for a product I would expect from Wendy's, Arby's, Burger King, or anyone else who does not really specialize in fish. Even the Filet-O-Fish from McDonalds, one of my least favorite outlets meets this level.

I will now put my tail between my legs and sail off into the sunset. It is difficult when a local operation you have championed for years falls on their face and can offer no reason why.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
... It is difficult when a local operation you have championed for years falls on their face and can offer no reason why.
Sorry to state the abundantly obvious but food costs are rising precipitously. Chains like Frisch's are between a rock and a hard place. They can't raise prices too much, because the bread and butter of their business is low to moderate-income people. But I'm certain their costs are soaring just like mine are when I cook at home. Once they've cut out as much fat as they can from an efficiency standpoint, then the only other alternative is to cut quality and quantity.

I'm convinced that the finest Lenten fish sandwich in the area, which I've touted before, is at Bridgetown Finer Meats on the west side. The quality is exactly the same as last year and the year before, but each year the price goes up a couple bucks. The sandwich is now either $8 or $8.50, I forget which. They're a high-end market and apparently know their customers will pay whatever it takes, Although I assume eventually they will hit the wall on the pricing, too. Maybe at $10?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
There was a time when I would have argued Frisch's fish sandwiche would walk with the best of them. But after my recent experience, no more. A few weeks ago I decided one night to go to our local Frisch's and get some fish sandwiches for dinner. We are kind of weird as we like the fish sandwiches along with carryout bowls of their chili which we smother in saltines.

What a disappointment! The fish sandwiches were horrible! They were below the quality of Mrs. Paul's fish sticks. Being the low-keyed type of guy I am, I got on the Frisch website and sent them a message detailing my dismay over their product. I got the perfunctory response thanking me for my concerns and then a followup telephone call from the local store manager. He had more excuses and explanations than you can count. Not satisfied, I again sent a message to corporate again detailing my disappointment and requesting someone higher up the food chain respond. I did get a response from Karen Maier, who I believe is currently marketing manager. She once again thanked me for my concerns and assured they had not changed vendors, etc. which would result in any change in their fish sandwiche and would be investigating what had gone wrong. Several days later I get a gift certificate card in the mail.

Yesterday I decide to give it another try. I was by myself as the wife and her caregiver were up at the Mason Community Center and then off to the store. About 1:00 PM I went through the drive-thru at the local Frisch's and ordered a fish sandwiche for $4.90. My first clue it was not going to be great was when they handed it to me about 15 seconds later. Obviously it had been sitting under a warming lamp. About the quality of my prior visit - horrible! Way too much breading, which after sitting had the consistency of paste. The fish itself had very little actual body, again a good emulation of Mrs. Paul's fish sticks, and even less taste. So once again I got on the website and sent them a scorching message. From my posts on other threads I know you can recognize I have been a staunch defender of Frisch's. Part of this is due to my having relatives who owned Frisch franchises, and I recognize how hard they worked to keep their food quality up. And their hard work paid off, as they earned a very good living from the franchises.

I have had it. $4.90 for a product I would expect from Wendy's, Arby's, Burger King, or anyone else who does not really specialize in fish. Even the Filet-O-Fish from McDonalds, one of my least favorite outlets meets this level.

I will now put my tail between my legs and sail off into the sunset. It is difficult when a local operation you have championed for years falls on their face and can offer no reason why.
I have conducted that same experiment more times than I want to admit. The Frisch's Filet of Sole sandwich was the best . . . . in 1965. But your critique of what they serve under that name today is spot on. Too bad.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,711 times
I don't see why anyone would champion Frisch's food except out of regional loyalty. It's bland, middle of the road cheap diner food, and it's soullessly distributed from commissaries and served by wait staffs whose quality depends strictly upon the initiative of the local manager.

I used to order a really killer veal parmesan at a Frisch's I ate at in the 90s. But today, just about anything at a higher level of cooking than a hamburger is too much to ask of such a place.

Is there any wonder that their fish sandwich is lame? You're probably the first person in a week to complain about it to them. Most of their customers don't know any better. It's a chain, they have locked in mindshare (I'm thinking of the moronic yokel TV ads showing people daydreaming about onion rings), and they make their numbers.

For quality food in most cases you need to find independent restaurants.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM

75 posts, read 120,191 times
Frisch’s may not be haut cuisine, but the vegetable soup is about the best I’ve ever tasted, and is still as delicious as it has always been (unlike the fish sandwich ).

Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I don't see why anyone would champion Frisch's food except out of regional loyalty. It's bland, middle of the road cheap diner food, and it's soullessly distributed from commissaries and served by wait staffs whose quality depends strictly upon the initiative of the local manager.

I used to order a really killer veal parmesan at a Frisch's I ate at in the 90s. But today, just about anything at a higher level of cooking than a hamburger is too much to ask of such a place.

Is there any wonder that their fish sandwich is lame? You're probably the first person in a week to complain about it to them. Most of their customers don't know any better. It's a chain, they have locked in mindshare (I'm thinking of the moronic yokel TV ads showing people daydreaming about onion rings), and they make their numbers.

For quality food in most cases you need to find independent restaurants.
Frisch's fills a niche. One can eat quietly in a well ventilated space and get friendly service at a reasonable price. Not every meal has to be a good one. The Fairfax Mainliner is within minutes of my home and if I am really beat down from the day, want something to eat and am not too particular other than I don't want to fix it myself, I stop out there. Wifey eats vegetable soup and the salad bar (which is often surprisingly fresh), and I might get a burger sandwich that I dissect with a knife and fork and an order of well done fries.

There are times when going to a good burger spot like Zips, Terry's Turf Club or even Five Guys is not in the cards for me because I am not going to stand in line for any burger anywhere, ever. And, I am not up for the noise of a place that primarily feeds children. And, i am not even up for being a gracious guest at my favorite spot for a quick meal, the China Gourmet. I am betting KJ would tell a similar story.

So, that explains why some of us end up at Frisch's.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

PS, if I never have another pimply kid stick his face in mine and exclaim:

"Welcome to Fridays! My name is Shawn and I'll be serviing you today! Our manager is Alyssa and she will stop by soon to be sure everything is as you have ordered it. What can I get you to start your meal here at Friday's?"

it will be too soon. Sometimes, souless is good when you don't care if they have a soul . . . or a life.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,711 times
I still eat at Frisch's but I am not surprised when something they serve is really mediocre. The fish sandwich is probably an edge case for them and most consumers don't have taste buds anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati