Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,709,585 times

Advertisements

^ That was certainly before my time.

Most businesses transform into something far unlike whatever the original founders envisioned, even down to core values. Usually core values (especially those that are pro-individual) are stripped out and cast down the memory hole for the sake of profitability and shareholder value.

Look at Hewlett Packard, from benevolent technology powerhouse to a dessicated carcass plundered by shake n' bake business wizards in the last 30 years.

My experience with Frisch's has been cafeteria-grade food served by waitresses.

A lenten fish fry here in the er, middle Warren county area is reputed to be lousy compared with past years, and we've skipped it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,377,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I still eat at Frisch's but I am not surprised when something they serve is really mediocre. The fish sandwich is probably an edge case for them and most consumers don't have taste buds anyway.
If you think the ones in Cincinnati are bad, try the ones in Toledo. They are the worst.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,550,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I don't expect prime rib or lobster at Frisch's, but I damn well do expect a world class fish sandwich in keeping with a 60 plus year tradition. If they can't provide one then put an insert in the menu saying due to circumstances beyond our control we will no longer be offering a fish sandwich. But do not dishonor a tradition Dave Frisch built with an inferior product.
You know, I give them credit for at least trying. There was a time back in the '80s when Frisch's dropped the classic fish sandwich for all of the reasons you are crying about. But, by the early '90s it was "back by popular demand." While it may not be exactly the same as it was when Dave Frisch cut it by hand, it's sure better than the Ms Paul's crud they were really shelling out 25 years ago, and I do believe even today it's better than any of the preformed fish-like products from BK, Wendy's, or any of the rest of those joints.

Actually, the part of the Frisch's fish sandwich that I like the least is that bitter, strong smelling lettuce shreds they lay on it. I'd rather see them fix that.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,849,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
You know, I give them credit for at least trying. There was a time back in the '80s when Frisch's dropped the classic fish sandwich for all of the reasons you are crying about. But, by the early '90s it was "back by popular demand." While it may not be exactly the same as it was when Dave Frisch cut it by hand, it's sure better than the Ms Paul's crud they were really shelling out 25 years ago, and I do believe even today it's better than any of the preformed fish-like products from BK, Wendy's, or any of the rest of those joints.

Actually, the part of the Frisch's fish sandwich that I like the least is that bitter, strong smelling lettuce shreds they lay on it. I'd rather see them fix that.
How recently have you had one? About 6 months ago we had our usual fish sandwiches and chili from the same local outlet. The fish was quite enjoyable, firm, flaky pieces, good cross section, lightly breaded and fried correctly. I remember telling my brother, who lives about 1/2 mile from me, how we enjoyed what we had as that outlet has had some quality control problems in the past. We were driving to one another 2-1/2 miles further south for consistency, but I gave them a try and was pleased.

Believe me what I had recently in the past few weeks is a distinct drop in quality. That is why I reacted so adversely to it. The fish pieces had no body, resembling the pressed fish patties you reference from competitors, mushy in texture and way overbreaded. They either changed vendors, changed what they order from the vendor, or should change vendors as the current product is just plain inferior. And how to you do that during Lent?

We have a Fox & Hound tavern closeby which in the past has served a very creditable fish sandwich with a large triangle shaped fillet, at least 5/8" thick, on rye bread. Before I retired we went there frequently for lunch and I always got the fish sandwich as it was so satisfying. I am going to have to go there and see whether they are keeping their quality up. Yes they charged more than Frisch's but it came with steak fries and a good portion of cole slaw. And of course the draft beer didn't hurt either.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,550,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
How recently have you had one? About 6 months ago we had our usual fish sandwiches and chili from the same local outlet. The fish was quite enjoyable, firm, flaky pieces, good cross section, lightly breaded and fried correctly. I remember telling my brother, who lives about 1/2 mile from me, how we enjoyed what we had as that outlet has had some quality control problems in the past. We were driving to one another 2-1/2 miles further south for consistency, but I gave them a try and was pleased.
Probably about two months ago at the Blue Ash location. It was fine, certainly nothing like you describe. I always order mine on the rye bun. More recently I got their new clam po' boy sandwich recently and it was huge, and surprisingly tasty.

I guess the point is, Frisch's could serve the same quality as they did in the '60s if they jacked the price up. I paid $12 for a sandwich plus another $2 cole slaw at DeSha's yesterday. The bread was too thick, but it was a great piece of fish. Frisch's target market would reel at $12 ticket, no matter how good it is.

When I go into a place where I have never been before, I always ask if their fish is shaped like a triangle. If they say yes, I move on.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,849,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
When I go into a place where I have never been before, I always ask if their fish is shaped like a triangle. If they say yes, I move on.
That might be an indicator of a restaurant cut. But I have had such cuts which were very good. Like everything else, you get what you pay for, especially the restaurant.

Yes, I recognize DeSha's. They advertise themselves as an American Burger Joint. I guess they are competing against Flipdaddy's on Mason Montgomery Rd, Red Robin on Mason Montgomery, Five Guys on Mason Montgomery and also Tylersville. These so called gourmet burger joints just leave me cold. As I said earlier, for $16.95 at Flipdaddy's I got a not too great burger plus a 14 oz draft beer. I would have been far more satisfied with a 12-pack from Kroger and a Whopper from Burger King. If I asked Burger King to cook my Whopper from scratch, with the condiments it would beat the Flipdaddy's hands down.

So now the gourmet hamburger joint is replacing the steak joint? I guess I will just wait around a few years and watch them all fold up.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,709,585 times
This is for kjbrill's benefit -

Red Robin in Mason has a pretty excellent fried cod fish dinner for $11.99. It's not seasonal but they are advertising it in the restaurant heavily right now. No slaw at that price, though. You get four ~3-4 oz. breaded pieces.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM

258 posts, read 160,617 times
I'll admit to being a little nervous about joining in on this thread but.... what exactly is a Fish Sandwich in Cincinnati? I've Googled it and found different descriptions and pictures for the recipe, it seems to alter from city to city.

If this is going to take the thread off topic too much then please ignore me, i think i did enough damage with the Bread Fish song.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,267,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
i think i did enough damage with the Bread Fish song.
It's just like the breadfish only completely different.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM

75 posts, read 120,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
This is for kjbrill's benefit -

Red Robin in Mason has a pretty excellent fried cod fish dinner for $11.99. It's not seasonal but they are advertising it in the restaurant heavily right now. No slaw at that price, though. You get four ~3-4 oz. breaded pieces.
Thanks for reminding me Ohioan58. I’ve had the fried cod fish at the Red Robin in Mason and thought it was very good. Kind of crisp, but flaky inside.

Also, this past Sunday, we had a delicious fried haddock dinner with choice of three vegetables and choice of cornbread or biscuits, at a Cracker Barrel, all for around $13. I prefer lemon sole or even cod over haddock, but this had a nice mild flavor that worked perfectly with fresh lemon juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati