Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times

Advertisements

Hey Cincinnati forum. I just got back home to Portland from a week-long trip to the Cincinnati area (though I jaunted down to Louisville and Lexington while I was there), and I have to say I was mightily impressed.

The hills, the architecture, the skyline, the food, the bars, the music... WOW! What an amazing time. Read a little about Over the Rhine before I went out there, but it really didn't seem as bad as I was expecting it to be. Though, in fairness, I did see more cop cars in one place at one time (there were 12--I counted them) than I ever recall seeing... This was relatively near the Kroger on Vine Street.

Stayed across the river in Covington, and marvelled at the architecture. Ate at Skyline Chili (had to), visited UC, went to Northside... Bar? Or Tavern? Also went to Hofbrauhaus in Newport, and a few other places. We wandered around all over. Downtown, Northside, Covington, Walnut Hills, Avondale, St. Bernard, The Heights, Clifton, Norwood... Explored the Vine Street Hill Cemetary.

One thing I was struck by (not something unique to Cincinnati) is the marked and plainly visible differences between the rich and the poor neighborhoods. You DEFINITELY know when you're in a wealthy part of town versus when you're in an impoverished part of town. Seemed very segregated in this sense. Out here it's a lot less obvious--run down looking houses can be owned by rich yuppies, or a decent looking house can be inhabited by working poor, and a lot of times they're right next to each other.

The suburbs were clearly suburbs like you'd find anywhere else--Oregon, Washington, Ohio, Kentucky... But the urban core was just spectacular. A very pleasant surprise to find such a charming city in what I considered to be flyover country. Seemed to be a lot going on there--even though it was the middle of winter. Loved the snow and the cold. It was a dry cold--much more tolerable than the clammy wet we have here at times.

Definitely was quite the experience. It felt so... American. When I pictured "America" in the past, Cincinnati is pretty much exactly what I imagined. But when it came to what I expected Cincinnati to be, it defied what I imagined it to be completely.

I definitely wouldn't mind if I had to go back there again! Never thought I'd go to Ohio (or Kentucky) and like it, but stranger things have happened. I know Cincy has its problems like anywhere else, but it still seems like a great little gem to be proud of and keep working on improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
A very good recommendation for our fair city and one which I feel reflects your experience. Please come back and visit here more often.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM

75 posts, read 176,049 times
Great post. I commute from Clifton Heights out to Hamilton to teach and I must say I am always struck by the sprawl. I truly didn't know the meaning of suburbia until I made the trek out. It is so strange to see the American landscape these days. Miles and miles of houses that stretch as far as you can see. I have to confess I have a bit of culture shock every day.

I suppose that is what I find so refreshing about your post. I am always fascinated to learn about other perspectives and ways of viewing the world. Seeing my city through the eyes of a visitor always seems to let me rediscover what it is I love about this city so much. Despite the self segregation and the sometimes strained racial tensions, this city really does have a great deal going for it. I am quite lucky to live in such a place.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Great post! Portland is a beautiful city as well, and Oregon is a pretty fun state.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 PM

19 posts, read 56,208 times
thanks for this! i do really like to see visitors' points of view and acknowledgment of strengths and problems. it's ironic because portland is on my list of top places to visit!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Backdrifter, glad you had a good visit to the Queen City! Please come back soon! BTW; we've visited Portland twice and it has been gloriously sunny both times!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 01-17-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
backdrifter... Been through Portland several dozen times, but never saw past the airport. The planes I took from Cincy to Tokyo changed over in Portland. But a very nice airport. At my age it is unlikely I will get to Portland again, unless it is on a train from San Francisco to Seattle, once again passing through. If I find myself doing that I will definitely have to make a stop, at least over night.

I am very glad your experience in our Queen City was enjoyable.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Dear backdrifter -- may we make you an offer you can't refuse? Strictly a business arrangement wherein you will be provided a 24th floor river view office in the newly-opened Queen City Square tower, regular business hours, secretary included. Now, what we ask of you is ongoing, glowing copy about our city for a one-year period, starting ASAP. ( Sorry, no breaks except for lunch.) Whatta ya' say?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times
Would you happen to have a view of Dayton (the big one in Ohio)?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati