Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,721 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25 young single female moving to the Cincy area from Memphis in the late Feb, early Mar time frame for a job promotion. I want to be in an area close to trendy restaurants, shopping, and night life where other young singles will be. Want to stay away from the suburbs full of families.

I'll actually be working in Loveland, so I'm considering living somewhere off I-71 between the Hyde Park area and downtown. The map indicates about a 30 minute drive from these areas, but how bad is traffic going out of the city during rush hour?

Would like to keep my rent under $800 but could go up to $1,000 for a 1 or 2 BDRM. Really looking for a place with mostly hardwood & central heat/air. Keep seeing these area names pop up - Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt Adams, Eden Hills, East Walnut Hills, Downtown but I'm not finding many properties in these areas that have the features I want at my price point. Any suggestions on specific buildings or other neighborhoods that may be a fit?

I'm also looking for a gym that offers a good selection of group classes. From my searches so far it looks like LA Fitness is the only option off I-71 with any decent offering. Any other options would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,525,299 times
You''ll end up in Hyde Park so why waste time on other choices. I could tell you why but you will learn soon enough. You are going the right direction (against traffic) and your drive will be 20 minutes. Come up here and park on the Square, walk around a little on Sat, go to Mt. Lookout, its all one neighborhood, then find a place you like. Better to spend the $1000 in the best neighborhood than save a couple hundred and be sorry you did not make the right choice.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,955,153 times
your price sounds in line with what my young single friends in east walnut hills pay. in some of the older apartment buildings, a "one bedroom" apartment is very large, often with a living room, dining room, full kitchen, the one bedroom and maybe a bath or two.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,841,093 times
Don't be looking between Hyde Park and downtown. Be looking between Hyde Park and North towards Loveland. Your commute to Loveland will be the opposite of the traffic flow, so no problem. Like Wilson says do yourself a favor and pick a location in either Hyde Park, Oakley or Mt Lookout. You will have all of the close-by restaurants, shopping, good time bars, etc. you can desire. As you work you way out from Hyde Park, consider Pleasant Ridge, Kennedy Heights, etc.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the input! I'm making a trip up Friday so will get to see the area first hand

Old 01-22-2011, 03:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,036,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgraves85 View Post
Thanks for the input! I'm making a trip up Friday so will get to see the area first hand
After your trip, please get back to us and let us know what you think, OK?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,841,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgraves85 View Post
If it is going to be a short weekend trip, try and make an itinerary to cover as much ground as you can in a short period of time. Take notes as you go of your impressions - first impressions are frequently quite reliable. And as previously stated, respond to us with your findings.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 AM

So after visiting Mt Adams is byfar my favorite area. Loved the Blind Melon and the feel of St Gregory St. I didn't find that Hyde Park had much nightlife at all. Clifton Gaslight was ok but again not many options for nightlife.

The problem I see now is that rental availability in Mt Adams seems very slim. Can anyone recommend any resources for finding a place besides craigslist?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,525,299 times
Well, you find what you are looking for. Let me help you with this. Mt. Adams is a great place to visit. In the summertime people are out and about and you can walk over to the Playhouse or the Art Museum. But the bar patrons are mostly visitors. And they pee on your front steps and block up the streets. And, the 24 hour residents have mostly paid 600,000 up to live in the trendy-est place in town. I lived in 2 different places in Mt. Adams before it got so expensive. But today, most every apartment property has been renovated and sold as a condo. For $1,000/mo you will be in the cheapest space in Mt. Adams if there is such a place. Great place to live if you drink a lot and want to spend $2500/mo.

OK, now for your problem about HP. If you like a cozy little place with a little live jazz to take that special someone, by all means the Blind Lemon is your spot. There are places like that in HP. But the 20's and 30's singles go to Arthurs in HP and Millions in Mt. Lookout. 10 to 1 at least. There was a time when Longworths in Mt. Adams was like that. Today? not so much. So maybe go back and try HP again. And, like I said in the first place, find yourself a spot in HP and enjoy it. You'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: