Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM

577 posts, read 1,281,830 times

Advertisements

The show was mentioned several times in https://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...incinnati.html and I finally got a chance to watch part of it.

Obviously the show isn't about Cincinnati but just based in (actually, not even that - just claims to be in Cincinnati). Several interviews with David E. Kelly he has mentioned that he chose Cincinnati because, "it's not a sexy city" and he hasn't been to Cincinnati in years. Just watching the show for the brief time that I have, it really shows!

Last night there were a couple of location shots in between scenes. One of the location shots actually showed the Cincinnati skyline with Cinergy Field! Are you kidding me? How much effort would it be for the show to bring in a crew, do some field research, and take some UPDATED location shots?

I have heard, but have not seen it but I understand that Harry is a lawyer working in the inner city (assume OTR), yet the view out her office window is of the city from Covington.

Granted, the set is located in Burbank but a little bit of research and accuracy goes a long way with a show. It just seems to be cheaply done although the "Skyline Diner" from the set is close to accuracy and somewhat cut. Guess Kelley asked someone about Cincinnati once and heard mention of a restaurant called, "Skyline".

Has anyone watched this? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times
We've watched the show, havent seen last night's episode. It's DVRed.

MrsM and I like the show. It's funny, cleaver (could do without the Liberal spin and the fake Cincy references. But, other than that it is a good show.

Anything with Kathy Bates is good.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Anything with a "liberal spin" that alludes to Cincinnati has got to be a poorly-researched production.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 AM

682 posts, read 1,630,511 times
Like most "legal shows". it is not based in the real world of the legal proffession. It will probaly be around for while (just like Boston Legal). There isa serious lack of research on the city. I doubt if city leaders were even consulted. Backgrounds are photoshoped in. It portrays the neighborhood (OTR) as drug, gang and prostitute infested, which certainly doesnt help OTR which is experiencing a turnaround.

In a way, its probably a good thing it was not shot on location because I am sure they would have picked the worst possible locations to make the city appear as "gritty' as possible.

Cincinnati clearly has an "image problem" and I do not see any groups like the chamber necessarily trying to "brand' or market this city in the way cities like Louisville and Indianapolis have as a tourist destination.

If you ask the "non-cincinnatians" what Cincinnati is like? The usual response is : The zoo, Baseball, Kings Island or the associate it with the "Creation museum" which isnt even in Cincinnati. Or worse yet as a crime infested, politically corrupt, racist city that had those big riots.

You do not hear of it as a great historical place like you would New Orleans or Charleston or Savannah. This cities best asset, its historic architecture is its least promoted.

Imagine what a tourist promo of Cincinnati might look like:

"Photos of the incredible renaisance ceilings in the Hauck Mansion, A drve by view of the grand mansions on Dayton Street (Millionairs Row), Findlay Market on a typical Saturday packed with people and vendors. A rooftop view of the city from Mt Adams, A nice view of the gaslight district, views of some of our incredible parks interspersed with film of Fountain Square and Nightlife and fine dining. Finished off with film of the many festivals and the city skyline at night"

That could be the way Cincinnati is marketed, that is the way Cincinnati should be marketed. But we cant seem to grasp the concept of using our great architecture and the accomplishments that have been made to actually give the impression that this is a place people might like to visit.

Sad we cant think out of the box. Or even think at all.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
. . .
If you ask the "non-cincinnatians" what Cincinnati is like? The usual response is : The zoo, Baseball, Kings Island or the associate it with the "Creation museum" which isnt even in Cincinnati. Or worse yet as a crime infested, politically corrupt, racist city that had those big riots.
I would venture that 95% of the people on this planet who have already heard of the "Creation Museum" think positively of it and view it as an asset and resource for the Cincinnati area. Of course, if you explain it to the readers of the Arts and Leisure section of the NYT and then ask what they think about it, you will probably get the negative reaction you implied.

Its all in one's point of view.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
It portrays the neighborhood (OTR) as drug, gang and prostitute infested, which certainly doesnt help OTR which is experiencing a turnaround.
I haven't had a chance to watch a full episode. Do they refer to OTR or do they just say, "inner city". But I agree, if the location shots were of Fountain Square, the skyline, Findlay Market, Union Terminal, etc. it would make for something positive.

Quote:
Funny, I always hear WKRP and Jerry Springer.

Quote:
You do not hear of it as a great historical place like you would New Orleans or Charleston or Savannah. This cities best asset, its historic architecture is its least promoted.
Not making a political statement here (that horse has been beaten in another thread) but New Orleans has a streetcar that runs through the Garden District. It is a great way to see all of the beautiful architecture. Just another benefit in my opinion.

Quote:
That could be the way Cincinnati is marketed, that is the way Cincinnati should be marketed. But we cant seem to grasp the concept of using our great architecture and the accomplishments that have been made to actually give the impression that this is a place people might like to visit.

Sad we cant think out of the box. Or even think at all.
It should be one of the things that attract tourists. One of the largest collections of Italianate architecture as well as some beautiful examples of Art Deco. Combine that with a thriving art district, sports, and entertainment and you have something going there. Plus, there have been some great films and television shows shot on location. Architecture, the arts, sports, and attract more filming crews and become sort of a Hollywood of the Midwest.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
The show is quirky (as expected from David Kelly) and Kathy Bates is great. They never say "OTR" just that she left her high priced corporate job and moved to a less fortunate area to get a storefront.

It doesn't really portray the area as that bad, in fact I would hazard to say that compared to what some people on the boards (and in the newspapers) post about OTR - Harry's Law makes all of urban downtown look very fairytale like. (Including the fact that when she moved into her storefront the previous owner left thousands of dollars in high end shoe inventory behind).

If you want to see "gritty" portrayals - look at Detroit 1-8-7 - which, thanks to the MI movie/tv tax credits is in fact shot in Detroit. Unfortunately, its a fictional crime show shot in Detroit, which just adds to the "Detroit = Crime" stereotype. Though, (I don't watch the show, but occasionally flip through) its nice to see shots of the city at times.

They do use some location shots of Cincy - this last episode they showed an area of the waterfront I recognized - however being new here myself I don't know all the building/area names.

Its nice to see some shows that aren't all set in fictional areas or in NY/LA. But remember - this is FICTION.

Hence no mention of neighborhood names or anything else actually specific.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,472,562 times
Quote:

I just moved back after living for five years out west. I can assure you that 99.99999% of the people in this country outside of Cincinnati have never heard of the Creation Museum, let alone its location in a state that neighbors Cincinnati's.

In fact, very few people I came across even associated Kentucky with Cincinnati. The only people who did would be those who had to change planes in Cincinnati en route from the East Coast to somewhere out west and realized the airport was in Kentucky. Other than that, there is absolutely no association for most people between Cincinnati and Kentucky.

Most every person I met associated Cincinnati with the Reds, WKRP, Bob Huggins (still) and Skyline Chili. Never once in five years did I hear the slightest mention of crime, riots, political corruption or racism. Newsflash: all cities have crime, and many cities have far far more crime than Cincinnati.

But how very typical of people who live here to think and assume the worst. It does get so old.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,424 times
I LOVE HARRY'S LAW!!! Don't feel bad Cincinnati peeps. Even though the research on the city may be poorly done, the show actually gave me a good impression of Cincinnati. Perhaps if the show is successful they will put more effort into the city itself...

Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM

It's funny how with the show debut, the critics absolutely panned it but it seems to be a very popular show. I don't think I am looking for a lot of references to places in Cincinnati but just some updated location shots between scenes. If you think about it, it would be relatively cheap to fly a crew out for a couple of days and take some shots of the city.

TV is definitely a different animal than motion pictures. The budgets are different. Where a film like Rain Man or Ides of March (which will be filming soon) spend weeks on location, television is normally a studio set. But, even though WKRP wasn't filmed in Cincinnati, they did use a lot of location shots which were up to date at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati