Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,377,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Another example could be Boston-Edison in Detroit. It was a neighborhood that was relatively stable until the housing crisis caused a number of problems. Now, as the buffer zone around B-E shrinks and disappears, this once bright, quiet neighborhood is being engulfed by Detroit's serious problems. Crime is increasing here and people are leaving just as many others before them have left inner-city Detroit.

Let's face it, people have left Cincy for the suburbs. Maybe not as many as in Detroit, but it still is occuring. In fact, every metro in Ohio has this problem, because despite the small increase in Ohio's population, the suburbs have expanded dramatically. Dayton sees this as well as Cleveland and Columbus, though Cbus has kept it's city pop. steady, but that could be from annexing growth outside the traditional center..

Boston-Edison is a four block by nine block area on the Woodward corridor. It is stable only because there is a 24 hour security patrol. Both times that I have been there looking to buy one of the properties, I have been stopped by the patrol. In the past forty years, it has been surrounded by high crime neighborhoods so its relevance to the discussion is pretty dubious.

People are leaving Ohio cities because the school districts in Ohio cities are generally MISERABLE. Thirty years ago, when you could attend a Catholic or other parochial school for less than $1000 per child per year, people would hang on in the old neighborhood. Now they flee to the suburbs where they can get solid schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,230,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I really don't think the framers of the Constitution had AK-47s in mind when they talked about the right to bear arms.
Yes, they most certainly did. You just have to read what they wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry
But just to clarify, my thinking is that the crazy people--the ones it really IS almost impossible to protect against--wouldn't be able to kill as many people as they often manage to if they didn't have access to guns designed for maximum killing efficiency in a military context.
Yeah, right. It's sad how little you know really. I used to spend my nights and weekends running surveillance as part of task force that investigated gun smuggling. I'm not talking about in the US, I'm talking about into the US.

You can't even stop illegals from illegally crossing your borders, how are you going to stop illegals from illegally smuggling guns illegally across your borders? And it ain't just the borders. They run guns up to the beaches just like drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer
Back to Cincy. If Hyde Park sees an uptick of crime (perceived, real, or a mix of both), then it will start to tumble.
Very good. You get a cookie.

I'm glad you mentioned perceived, because perception is everything with respect to security. Okay so Republic Street 200 feet away from me was the most deadliest street in the whole US until maybe 6 months ago, but people still perceive it and the whole area (OTR) around it as dangerous and so long as they do, you can wave stacks of paper showing declining crime statistics in their face all day long and it won't change anything.

If people in Hyde Park start perceiving crime as a problem, it's over. You'll have to bring in police to direct traffic to keep all the moving vans from colliding with one another, that's how fast they'll be moving out.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,991,744 times
I'm not going to get into trading insults with you, because you obviously enjoy it way too much already.

Suffice to say that among the few things I DO know, I know that quite a few of the crazies who've gunned down large numbers of people used assault weapons that were purchased LEGALLY. These seem to have been people who did not have extensive connections in the illegal gun community and might have been discouraged or deterred if they had to hunt down the guns they used through that avenue. So many people are now killed with guns in the US that I think it's worth thinking about ways to save even a few lives.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,957,591 times
hyde park will not tumble because of a murder in oakley every year or two. or even a murder in hyde park. hyde parkers are very proud of their community and it isn't going anywhere. the residents by and large simply do not, at all, want to live in the suburbs. reasons range from it being declasse to simply loving the central location.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,991,744 times
More details slowly being released about the murder. Police say they believe the victim's passenger was the actual target of the shooter(s), and that the victim was hit because of the side of the car he was on. Motive appears to be robbery. Sounding less and less like a random crime.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,535,503 times
This murder was on Ibsen. Not to quibble, but if you took a poll of Hyde Park residents, a third would say that is in Madisonville, a third Norwood and a third Oakley. And probably one in ten could locate it on a map with no street names. When they start shooting each other at Erie and Edwards, repost the claim of the demise of Hyde Park.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,565,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This murder was on Ibsen. Not to quibble, but if you took a poll of Hyde Park residents, a third would say that is in Madisonville, a third Norwood and a third Oakley. And probably one in ten could locate it on a map with no street names. When they start shooting each other at Erie and Edwards, repost the claim of the demise of Hyde Park.
I know that I turn right onto Ibsen from Marburg several times a week... (The paperwork I carry says "Cincinnati" but the sign I pass just before the turn says "Oakley")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati